RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JB Weld whats it good for?

Boolit Master

JB Weld whats it good for?

I guess I'm always looking for a shortcut or a simpler (for me) way to do things and usually they don't work worth a damn. Does anyone use JB Weld to make any repairs on gun parts?? Is it any good?? Manufacturer states it can be "machined" and "threaded", is that true? It would be nice if it worked but I fear it cannot be that strong. I mess around with a lot of old clunkers and often have pin holes that are enlarged or oblong on one side, or a piece of metal that needs to be built up to fit/work better. I realize the best or right way to make these repairs are building up the area with a braze or weld neither of which I am too good at. But alas I fear there is no magic in a bottle is there?

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    It does have a fairly low tensile strength. Can't take over 350 degree heat. Have used it to repair farm machinery, wallered out holes in castings, repair leaky diesel tanks, repair bearing housings that were egg shaped from bearings locking up. Have even bedded a 22 action.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

The front site of my black powder revolver fell off (dang cheap replicas). I put a drop of jb on it and stuck it back on the barrel. That was about 8 years ago. Still holding.

I also used it to build up the front sight on a k31 that was shooting too high. Works great.
    Be careful, the toes you step on today may be attached to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

Boolit Master

I use JB a lot. Mostly Inlays.
    I have used JB for bedding. It works ok for that. For tapping, it is crumbly. You have to have the pilot hole real close to threaded dia. I have Vaselined a threaded part that JB went around. That worked better than tapping.
    It is very heat sensitive though. Very. It is an epoxy, so it can burn. I have added more filler to it to thicken it, I have also mixed extra time epoxy with JB. I mix both, then add them together. Creates a different finish.
    Within its working criteria, it does a good job.
    It is not Accraglas however.
    That said, I have done many beddings with it.
    Good stuff.

better than bailing wire.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Master
    I have used it to attach front sights on revolvers (on two occasions) and it worked fine, on both occasions though I removed and soldered permantly as I didn't trust it. I do use a lot of it on Lee mould handles, have probably 15 or so, wood is all JB Welded before use. I used it also to permantly attach (I believe 44 man may have done this too) a scope mount to my BFR 475 Linebaugh, along with the mounting screws and it works great.

Boolit Buddy

I have done several repairs with JB Weld that turned out fine, the most remarkable being a broken metal part of the brake system on the left rear wheel of a 4-Wheeler back in 1998...50 miles from nowhere, and I unconsciously found it in the carrier, along with some wire that I initially wired the two pieces together with while it cured overnight.

That stupid thing is still running, still braking, still stopping, just as good as if I had replaced the part or repaired it with a real weld....only thing is it has been cleaned up nice and painted.

Now, having said that, let me say that I used JB Weld on a rear sight a couple of years back... on an older model 24V Savage....I thought I had everything cleaned and prep'd real good before I applied it, but it got knocked off less than a year later.

I suspect the good goes with the bad when one is improvising, and although I always considered JB Weld as strictly a "temporary" fix, I know of one instance where it has shined like new money for well over ten years.

Did I do something right the first time and dead wrong the next? I dunno, wish I did.

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Master

Talking

I use it for making custom top punches for my SAECO luber sizer when I use moulds made by other manufacturers then Redding. Every time I see some SAECO top punches for a cheap price I try to pick them up.

Boolit Buddy
    Put rifle sights on shotguns for slug use. Did a 20 ga single shot that I cut the barrel to 22 inches, when my one son was 15, the sights are still on, he's 32 now. Gun has went thru 2 more of my kids and sights are still on. We use it now as a backup gun during deer hunting trips. It's killed it's share of deer too.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I do not use it for anything. To each his own .
    Both ends WHAT a player

Banned
    It works GREAT as a "body filler" for ugly ground down welds on my Firearms builds, prior to finishing/coating.

There are 3 places on this firearm visible where JB was applied as a filler. Can you find them?

Used it to repair my gas tank on my old CJ-7, never on firearms.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    It works good for glueing crummy handles on crummy mold block handle tangs. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

JB Weld - Keep it next to the duct tape.

I always keep some in the toolbox of my truck, camper & boat. I have fixed fuel tanks, hydraulic leaks, outboard motor water jacket. It has saved many an outdoor weekend when the shop is too far away or closed. I did use a tiny amount to re-attach the bolt handle on a Remington 512.

At the suggestion of someone on this board, I glued a .003" steel shim to the locking surface of a double shotgun locking bolt. Don't know how well it will hold, but it will be interesting to find out.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
    I guess I'm always looking for a shortcut or a simpler (for me) way to do things and usually they don't work worth a damn. Does anyone use JB Weld to make any repairs on gun parts?? Is it any good?? Manufacturer states it can be "machined" and "threaded", is that true? It would be nice if it worked but I fear it cannot be that strong. I mess around with a lot of old clunkers and often have pin holes that are enlarged or oblong on one side, or a piece of metal that needs to be built up to fit/work better. I realize the best or right way to make these repairs are building up the area with a braze or weld neither of which I am too good at. But alas I fear there is no magic in a bottle is there?
    If you just want to make something fit better in a spot with just a couple thousandths, you can stipple carefully, (with a sharp center punch or high quality awl you're willing to sacrifice), one of the mating surfaces to cause it to "pucker up".

Peening edges can do this too. (carefully tap an outside edge to cause it to "stretch". Buck it well with non-marking surface, like a brick of lead. A punch can help direct blows more carefully.)

Sometimes you can just add a thin shim to the loosness.

I doubt any epoxy product is a good firearm fixer. And that goes for super glue, gorilla glue, um except that there is now a dark colored wood glue that would be good for stock repair.

I was chasing pigs one day with my savage 30-30 170 pump gun ~ I was in my 4x4 and hit a hole ~ the bloody gun came up and hit me in the chin and flew out the window.
    when I picked it up the stock had broken off. The action is alloy which holds the stock on, I glued it with JB weild. It did come away after a while because the bolt holding the butt pulls the joint apart. So the next time I used wire for a reinforce and has not moved since. JB I think is the pick of them.
    Lead foot;

I used it to glue a chunk of an engine block back in after it tossed a rod. Granted it was just a litle Onan but it's still holding tight. It's a good epoxy glue. Marine Tex brand is as good or better.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Try PC-7 Good for bedding actioins. It had a display of a soda bottle wit a golf ball, hooks etc bonded to it. Very impressive display

Boolit Master

I use it alot to fix broken...or about to break .....parts for old motorcycles....works well on everything Ive used it on...Ive even plugged oversized holes with it packing them with a mix of fine steel wool and JB weld...then I can actually drill and tap that hole !!