RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: inexpensive flintlock kit?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frontier gander View Post
    ive owned all 3, lyman, cva and traditions. All of them had excellent sparking frizzens and reliable locks. My nightmare was finding good flints. Im now using flints from a gentleman by the name of rich pierce, his missouri flints are just downright awesome and throw a hot spark. $10 for a dozen is also a heck of a deal.

Some movies,

I used a tom fuller flint on this one but have stopped using them due to them either breaking after a dozen hits or due to them not sparking at all. I hate not being able to pick out my own flints.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZA7ZnUeguY

Heres the rifle firing with a Pierce flint at the NRA. Instant ignition. My bro in law is a wuss. It was only 110gr 3f goex with .490 round ball.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISW2DF6Ga0
    Good videos. You're right - but tell him to put two hands on the gun next time. Incidentally - I've never used a pan priming flask. Are they worth fooling with?
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

"I've never used a pan priming flask. Are they worth fooling with?"

jim....,

My well-used Dixie Tenn. Mtn. rifle came with a pan charger such as the one pictured in the 2nd video, but I don't find it reliable. Instead, I use an old .30-06 case + a j-word bullet as a stopper to prime the pan. (I have a small funnel to refill it, but haven't needed to do so at a range session.) Any similar cartridge will work and it is significantly more convenient to use than the pan charger + you can't beat the price or the simplicty.

i really like the pan primer flask i have. Its reliable, holds plenty of charge for a day at the range. I did make another out of an elk antler ( super sized!!) but i ended up turning it into a handle for my knife. I just like the small compact pan primer.

FRONTIER: You're problem is not the Tom Fuller flints. It's the locks.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

the tom fuller flints are to thick, once i have to knap them they get to that thick chunk spot and just round off. Im getting close to 70 shots per flint with the Pierce flints.

www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com

Its Arkansas not Alaska

Calling them or ordering the catalog is better than thier online shopping

Patricia Bicio
    Address: 3810 Cty. Rte. 5500
    City: Ozone
    State: Arkansas

ZIP: 72854
    Phone: 479-292-8866
    County: Johnson
    Manufacturing Firm: Muzzleloader Builders Supply

Boolit Master

Used to do business with a company called Warren Muzzleloading up there. In fact - they sold me 200 lbs of pure lead at a very good price - and sold my nephew a 32 cal Crockett rifle at a good price. Wonder if it's the same people? Their cast round balls had no sprue - maybe they ran 'em between two plates?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've used lots of Fuller flints over the years, and have never had a fit problem, as long as the proper size was purchased. I am trying out some of Rich's flints at the time, and they seem to be nice and sparky. They do knap a bit different from the English flint, due to the structure of the stone, but are still very acceptable.
    It's not the rock, it's the lock.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

i had trouble with my lock today at the range. After the 3rd flint drop i noticed i had forgotten to put powder in the pan LOL. Had another scare too. I had touched the flint up and it kept clicking. Did this 6 times in a row. Turned out i had taken a bit to much off and the top of the jaw was hitting the frizzen. It was a good day on the range! Now to get more powder. No lock problems here!!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Warren's Place in Ozone AR
    35°38'36.90"N
    93°26'31.47"W

He has everything BP possible in that place.....

... felix
    felix

Boolit Mold
    jim4065 did Frontier Gander say how he got in touch with the guy with the awsome flints? Finding good flints can be a pain the butt when you live so far from any outlets.

Boolit Master

Rich Pierce from the St. Louis area seems to have a good reputation for flints - but I don''t know how to reach him. I buy from TOW - always high quality.

Boolit Master

flints

Rich has been covered quite a bit lately in other posts/threads in the ML sub forum. The latest address I have is: rpierce@DOM.wustl.edu

Say, Troy McClure....did you ever get you flinter kit? What were the results?

We are back on this subject. I have not only seen lock problems with cheaper production locs but also touch hole positioning as I use to make a little extra rdrilling and plugginh touch holes and putting them in the right place. The "sunset" position is bet where the bottom of the touch hole is at the top of a full pan of priming. You can carry them this way for hunting. A low touch hole fills with primer and they can fuse on you before going off. Sometimes a prodcution rifle will have a lock with a decent mainspring sometimes not. I have had to replace a few for others to get a stronger spring. Thats why L&R sells replacement locks.

Northmn