Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 22 Hornet

In Remembrance

I loaded some Hornet rounds with the 225-348 Lyman last evening for testing, hopefully today, if the rain holds off. I loaded using SR 4759, 7.5 and 8 gr. and fired a couple shots each at 25 yds in the back yard. Looked good at that range. Did the same using Red Dot, 3.5 gr. Very mild. I was surprised at how full the case was with the 4759, all the way to the base of the boolit with 8 gr. I am much more comfortable with it than the RD due to the impossibility of getting a double charge. With RD it's hard to see the powder in the case even under a bright light.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    I loaded some Hornet rounds with the 225-348 Lyman last evening for testing, hopefully today, if the rain holds off. I loaded using SR 4759, 7.5 and 8 gr. and fired a couple shots each at 25 yds in the back yard. Looked good at that range.
    It's a very small world, great minds must really think alike. Last night I loaded ten 22 Hornet test rounds with 8.0 gr 4759 and the Lyman 225438. I can't get to the range for probably a week so I would be very interested in hearing your results.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Currently, my only Hornet is a Ruger #3 but, so far as I'm concerned, here in the Illinois flatlands it's a "Must Have" caliber for varminting/pest shooting. Most farmers...even those who hunt/shoot...are rather hinky about letting someone hunt their land with a "high-power rifle" but most have little or no problem with "small bores" like the Hornet or the .17 HMR or, even, the old .221 Rem.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I've read many posts saying Trailboss and small pistol primers work great in Hornets. Is it good enough that I should start looking for a .lb of Trailboss? I have the primers, and a variety of other powders, been using 2400.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried TB and the groups were terrible, a five shot group could be covered up with 5 cents as long as you used pennies and two targets side by side to collect up all the shots. In a 10" Contender I couldn't get the velocity up to 1000 fps with 45 gr boolits.

I called Hodgdon about it and they laughed, said that you couldn't get enough TB in a Hornet case and it wouldn't work. It didn't!

If you try it and it works let me know what you did that I didn't.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I have a Sako 78 shoots like a dream - j words only - I have a mold but never used it, one day.
    I use 45 semi points with win 680 - yes I still have some. Squirreled away a couple of tins and you get a lot of loads from a tin in the hornet.
    I used to use it on rabbits 'til the drought and the calici virus all but wiped them out. Haven't seen a rabbit around here for about 10 odd years.
    I use it for roo's occasionally but not too often any more.
    It is one of the cartridges every one should have IMHO.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

In Remembrance

The weather wasn't conducive to shooting yesterday, so I loaded more test rounds with the 225348 using Red Dot, Green Dot, 231, 2400, Unique, and Sr 7625. I fired a couple from each loading to check for pressure, then loaded ten rounds of each. With the current weather pattern I don't know when I'll get to shoot them for grouping. I will say that 231 is a pain to weigh out those tiny 3 gr. charges. If it doesn't meter well I probably wouldn't use it much even if it proved to be the best. I need an indoor 50 yd., no 100 yd. range.
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 02-08-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Try 4.5 grs. 231. I've had excellent results with that load and the RCBS 22-055, 1640 fps. from a 12" TC. Will stay around 1 1/2" at 100 yrds. Don't have any problems with metering from my powder measures.

Rick
    How is the LASC range handleing all the rain?

Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

In Remembrance

Quote:Try 4.5 grs. 231.
    Any idea what the velocity is?

1640 fps.
    Mugs
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

In Remembrance

Ok Mugs, I trudged through the sleet and snow and loaded 21 rounds with 4.5 gr of 231. Now I need a weather break, but it doesn't look likely for 10 days or more. We Texans like moisture but prefer it in liquid form.

DLCTEX, blame it on the gound hogs, he saw his shadow. If it make you feel any better its going to be 2 tonite, snowing, muddy at the range for a month and ON Tuesay I used my Hornet to make sure 18 of the little rat bast**ds will not see their shodows next year!

In Remembrance

We got down to 14 last night with light snow. We don't have any groundhogs to take it out on and their cousins, the mighty prairie dog, wasn't sticking his head out yesterday. I know this because I had to make a call in the country past a small dog town and tried for an opportunity to test a round or two, no takers.

Boolit Master
    My post #65 was a real brain fart! I said Trailboss but was thinking of LilGun. I haven't read about anyone using TB in the Hornet. Anyway, it's a good wake up call for me to be paying attention when citing load info. Could be problematic.

Lil'Gun is great stuff in the hornet. It likes heavier boolits or tight neck crimping. I use Fed SR primers. These are quite mild primers I believe. Lil'Gun might not work as well at lighter load levels. Only one way to find out. Chamber pressure with Lil'Gun is quite low so boolit fit may be more important than with faster powders.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    I did try Trail Boss in the hornet... 3.2 gr with some 225438 GC boolits cast 40+ years ago and lubed with old NRA formula found in my dad's junk box. It didn't work spectacularly well, but it worked- I may try it again with the plain based boolits from Bullshop. The starting load came from someone here, don't remember who.

I'll look for the target.
    Last edited by Bert2368; 02-11-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Here's the target from the trail boss experiment:

Boolit Master
    Try some of them PB boolits they are working really good for me.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    WHAT!? Don't tell me that, I just bought 3,000 .22 gas checks! I want a 200 yd. squirrel load for my Vanguard .223, gonna start with the Bator and old Lyman 224450, the pointy spire point, both with at least a 30 bhn. But just in case, could you expound on that pb stuff a little more?

Dualsport- Where and what kind of squirrels do you hunt from 200 yards? I've never shot one past 50 for some reason.

Bullshop, what powders are you using for rifle loads with those PB Hornet bullets?