WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Lube for Pistols

Boolit Mold

Lube for Pistols

I don't know which way to go after reading all the post about lubes. I'm looking to pan lube plain base RCBS .430" 245 swc bullets at 1200 fps (give or take) Few years ago I tryed Lee TL, not good. Since then I'm trying my hand at casting again. I'm working with a Ruger SRH 44mag. which I fired lapped the bore and beagled my mold and open up a Lee bullet sizer die (.432") The lube I'm using now is LBT Blue Soft great lube but I don't have a lubesizer. Tryed pan lubing with it, to soft to cookie cut or push out. I know I could try to modified it but, it works so good I hate to mess it up. (I can always fall back on it) Putting the LTB lube on with my finger works but, I'm losing interest fast. So I would like to try making some basic lube. I like the ideal of using a silicone pan a pushing them out by hand. Do most of my shooting in the winter so warm weather is not a factor. What would you suggest for a lube?

Thakes Guys Hippie

Boolit Master

When I pan lube I put the boolits in the pan and heat them along with the lube, this allows the lube to flow into the grooves then I put the pan in the fridge for a little while which makes the lube harden faster then cookie cutter them out.
    I have pan lubed with NRA 50/50(as soft as or softer than LBT soft), Felix(also Soft), LAR's Carnuba Red and his 2500+.
    It helps to have a cookie cutter that is a close slip fit over your boolit.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

when i pann lubed I took a 44 case & flared the heck out of it then rolled the bell back just enuff to cut even , drill out the primer & put a 8/32 screw & nut long enuff to eject with .

Did`nt take long to hunt up a lube sizer & dies though , the rest is money under the bridge so to speak!!
    GP100man

Boolit Mold
    Over the weekend I made some Barry Darr's Lube. Warmed the bullets up and pour the lube into the pan. Let it cool for a while and cut them out with my cutter. (same way I did it with LTB lube) They came out nice, the lube stayed in the grove and didn't build up in the cutter. I only got to shoot 25 rounds so far,good groups and no leading so far. I sill like the LBT lube but need to get a lubesizer some day.