WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pecatonica River Schuetzen

Boolit Bub

Pecatonica River Schuetzen

I'am ordering a Schuetzen halfstock rifle in 45 cal from Pecatonica River . It is a kit . Anyone ever build one ? I'am going to do all the stock work myself . Since I do not have a milling machine or tap and thread kits I will have them drill and install the breech plug ,cut and crown the barrel and driil and tab the barrel for the breech plug . Also will have a 3/8 dovetail cut for the front sight . Even after all this I will only have about 500.00$ invested less my time and some stain and other minor parts . I had looked at the Pedersoli Schuetzen muzzle loaders
    and their prices were around $2500.00 .

Boolit Buddy
    Is the stock 100% inletted ? It'll be a project if not so take your time and read up on what to do. It isnt easy.

Boolit Bub
    I called and talked to the owner . I did not ask about 100% inletted,however he told me he inlets on a computer CNC machine and the charge is an extra 47.50 $ for inletting and drilling . Maybe I should call back and see if the barrel and all the parts will just drop in . I know the buttplate is curved and will need fitted . I have a table sander and a jig saw .

Boolit Master

The inletting and drilling will be slightly undersized.
    I would go with it.
    Speeds things up a little, but, gets positions better.

Boolit Bub
    How undersized ? enough that I cam simply take a Dremel tool to it ? Thanks

Boolit Master

I have found inletting enough undersized to allow for custom fitting.
    It really saves a lot of work. CNC, you are also going to have depth close also.
    I might not use a Dremel, a small engraver, graver, or shaped chisel.
    Go slowly. Always cut against the grain, in the direction of the grain. In other words, I am not sure I am explaining it well, cut so the removed area does not crack into the grain.
    A Dremel can really eat into a piece of work. Big time. As a jeweler, I have to deal with "run around" on each setting. The bit grabs the setting, and runs around the setting wire. I go against the rotation of the burr to control "run around".
    Go slowly, and enjoy each chip! You will remember it forever.
    I am itching to make one, one day.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Dremel- ruining fine firearms, for over 40 years. Just say NO!

You will need chisels, some rasps or files, a drill, preferably a drill press, sand paper, and finish. some sort of inletting black will
    be needed. I just use regular motor oil, applied with a brush. It will show you where wood needs removed. Do not take any wood from upper edges of an inlet, unless you know positively it needs removed. Inletting dye will leave false marks at the top of an inlet.
    Last edited by waksupi; 01-29-2010 at 12:46 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!