Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News from the SHOT Show

Boolit Grand Master

News from the SHOT Show

I'm still at the show, 2 more days to go and sore feet already.

I am posting on my web site some of the new products (mostly ones that interest me ) and there are some that I'm sure will be of interest to the boolit makers here.

A new Lyman cast bullet handbook, 4th edition, a new Lyman 10 pound ladle lead pot ($40.00), new stuff from Hornady & more. Check out what I've gotten posted so far, not complete yet but working on it.

The 2010 SHOT Show

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus

Nice report Rick.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the update! Nicely done.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

The 4th edition isn't out quite yet, though. Expect late Spring to Summer. I'll get an early one for review.

Most component makers have few new products, their entire energy being with meeting current demand.

Banned
    Did you happen to see any of the ATF raids? FWIW, S&W has some 'splaining to do.

Boolit Grand Master

I just expanded the report to include the T/C HotShot, if you have kids you gotta see this. Also a bit on the new Winchester 94 and questions to all of the primer mfg's.

Still working on it, more to come.

The 2010 SHOT Show Report

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    cbrick:

Thanks for your report on the show; you have done a very nice job with your informative write-up.

Boolit Master

Rick,
    Thanks for the report!! Well done & informative. Wow, a Win 94 for 1500.00 and weird blueing?? We'll look for more updates tomorrow. Thanks again Mike

I'll be compiling a short summary of what I saw at SHOT over the next day or so. Too exhausted from the drive to do much right now.

But of the areas I explored (reloading and ammunition), there isn't all that much new. Except for lead-free bullets, the industry says it spent the past year just trying to catch up with existing products - not in generating even more demand!

Details soon ...

Boolit Buddy

Very nice report. Thanks from one who cannot attend.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master

Just posted a vast amount of "what's new". If your interested in the new products from the SHOT Show you better re-fill the coffee cup before you begin.

SHOT Show report

More to come.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Rick--

Nicely done, and THANK YOU for all the "shoe leather" put in during the Show.

The primer questions (and their answers) were pretty interesting. I'm not impressed by the treatment that TDK's reps gave you, but I'm willing to extend them some "benefit of doubt". I would imagine that primer questions have been the most-asked subject matter for the past year and a half, and the company and its people are likely tired of answering. That Big Green and Dead Red were courteous and informative is a credit to their patience. I suspected that consumer demand was VERY high, but 10X normal surprises me to hear. Small wonder they disappeared from shelves, and stayed gone.

1000 bones for an Angle-Eject safety-equipped Model 1894 Winchester ain't gonna happen at this house, I don't care how good or bad the finish is.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks also to you, Rocky. I'll bet you're about worn out.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Rick, did you mean ATK instead of TDK? ATK is the parent company of Speer, CCI, Federal and more.

I was treated very brusquely at Federal/Speer as well. Was ushered to a sort of receptionist who told me to speak to two guys in suits. They were both talking to one attendee (probably a major buyer) because they turned to eyeball me, took one glance at my nametag and very pointedly turned their backs and walked off with the "big spender."

I DID get to speak with two very nice folks in that mega-display. One was the CCI rimfire ammo engineer/ballistician and another was a PR guy. The PR guy told me that they had recently added to primer production with new workers and expanded shifts - but that new equipment is not in the forecast due to time lag and the expected decline in demand this next year.

BTW, EVERY primer maker told me that they expect a dramatic decline in demand this year. Hoarding seems to be over (and scalping along with it), backorders are being filled and new orders are about at historical averages. That's for reloaders, not for gummint orders. He could not predict what the government might do. (Smart man!)

Boolit Grand Master

oops, your absolutely correct, fixed it, thanks.

If you have anything you would like to include in this page I would be more than happy to do so. Full credit to the author of course.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Very kind offer, Rick, but as I was on assignment for a magazine, I have to hold the "properly written" stuff for them.

As an aside, I toured the Berry's Manufacturing plant on the way home for a different article. How I sighed when gazing at pallet upon pallet of lead pigs! I half-joked about slipping one of those 63-pound ingots into my truck. They didn't laugh.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you from those of us that did not make the show.

Great article and good information. I am interested to see the new ruger 9, with everyone buying the 380, I was looking for a small 9, that was not a Glock for CCW.

Just have to wait, glad I have waited so far, your report may change how I plan on spending some of my "mad" money this year. (Mad money - "Hell Fighters - John Wayne" I get an "allowance" wife gets an allowance, what I do with it she never asks and vice versa)

Boolit Master
    Another outstanding job Rick,

I enjoyed seeing you at the SHOT SHOW and enjoyed your company.

I agree with all of your comments about the Winchester 94's... they won't get any of my dollars for a painted finish on an over priced rifle. Some one needs to get a dose of common sense at Winchester... how long can a corporation milk a reputation to sell overpriced replicas of an American Icon of a working man's rifle?

I've been using Thunderbird 8208 for 10 years or so, it's a very versatile powder similar to H335 and my results have been very satisfying with 444 Marlin, 45-70, 35/30-30, 38-55, and 223 cast bullet loads.

I really enjoy your excellent work on the LASC website.

Thank you!

Boomer
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

Banned

Awesome report Rick thats from one who could not make it.

Andy

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.

Rick

CRPA Life Member