RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?? For those that water drop

Boolit Bub

?? For those that water drop

For those of you that water drop your bullets while casting, how do you keep them from getting banged up by each other?
    I'm just getting started, but I loose at least 10% to damaged bullets.
    How deep is your bucket, how do you cushion the bullets, etc?????

Boolit Master
    The deeper the better, (within reason). I stretch a T-shirt over the opening, and cut a small slit in it. Push the shirt in until it has a pool of water above it, and drop your boolits onto that. You'll prolly have to keep a stick handy to poke them through the hole occasionally. Really cuts down on the dents.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    The deeper the better, (within reason). I stretch a T-shirt over the opening, and cut a small slit in it. Push the shirt in until it has a pool of water above it, and drop your boolits onto that. You'll prolly have to keep a stick handy to poke them through the hole occasionally. Really cuts down on the dents.
    +1
    Thats the way to do it!!
    Jeff

I use a 5 gal bucket and it's half full. I drop my boolits on a damp towel and it rolls down a pipe then drop's in the bucket with another towel with a cut in it! sounds long winded but works for me!!
    Last edited by Phat Man Mike; 01-17-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added pic

Boolit Master

I set my "gig" up, with my casting pot at eye level, and my dump pot at shoulder level. This way, it is a straight dump into the water. I watch the sprue for the freeze. I try to time it at six seconds.
    I use a deep pot. This I fill half with water.
    I do not get damage this way.
    A five gallon pail would do well. Fill it half with water.

Boolit Grand Master

I also use a 5gal bucket half filled. I place it on a chair almost directly behind me so I have to turn around. This avoids the splash getting too far and sence it's on a chair, they don't get dropped far.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned

I use a 5 gallon bucket almost full, enough space for all the boolits I cast. The water slows and hardens them enough before the bottom is reached.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I use a 5 gallon bucket almost full, enough space for all the boolits I cast. The water slows and hardens them enough before the bottom is reached.
    I do the same thing. Never have dinged slugs

I use a full (within 2-3" of the top) 5 gallon bucket off to the side of the small table the melting pot sits on and dump right over the water. I have also used a large sponge floating in the water at the recommendation of Veral Smith. The boolits hit the sponge and roll off slowing their decent and it works well. Either way, I don't get dented boolits, even those as large as 515 gr. .470 NE.

If you dump that close to the water, make dang sure you don't get a dancer in one of the cavities or it will open the mold up for you before you're ready.

Boolit Master

I place a 2" foam pad in the bottom of a 5-gal. bucket...a little two-sided carpet tape will keep it from floating...and fill the buck to within about 3" of the top. The fall through the water hardens the boolits and the pad softens the impact with the bottom.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    About the same here, just fill a 5 gallon bucket then sink a bath-size towel on the bottom.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Same method but I use a towel.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    The 5 gallon bucket is the trick!

Sponge or foam, about 3 inch's thick, glued to the bottom. Fill bucket with cold water to a few inchs of the top and have at it. I run my alloy hot enough that I hear them go" Zinggkk" when they hit the water, impressive noise when your using a 6 banger!

I figure boolits are as hard as they are gonna get by the time they get half way to the bottom. This has worked well in my 45 auto boolits since "74"!

If your still getting dings you don't have enough antimony in your ally, stick on WW metal, or pure lead and tin. These will not harden and your wasting your time.
    Last edited by HeavyMetal; 01-17-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a minnow bucket with a cloth drooping into the water. The bucket sits on a stool. This is not near as heavy as using a five gallon bucket.

When the bucket gets half full of bullets, I dump the bullets on flat pans to dry.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    I use a large tote or tub that is set up on an angle so the bullets will hit at one end and then slowly roll down to the end. Every once in a while I use a pice of wood to move the bullets to one side so I can cast a large number of bullets. I need to fill the tub a bit more, but you will see where I'm going. Here's a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water quenching tub.jpg  
    Last edited by RobS; 01-17-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Five gallon bucket 3/4 full. Then either a small strip of 2" thick foam (2x3x6") or a layer of 1" square foam bits floating on the top. The bullets hit the water soaked foam and roll off into the water. The foam helps keep the water from splashing up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Works for me as well.....

A five gallon bucket with a bag of ice in it, filled 3/4 full.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    I use a large tote or tub that is set up on an angle so the bullets will hit at one end and then slowly roll down to the end. Every once in a while I use a pice of wood to move the bullets to one side so I can cast a large number of bullets. I need to fill the tub a bit more, but you will see where I'm going. Here's a picture.

Man, lots of great ideas.
    Thanks guys.
    For simplicity & logic sake this looks like a winner!

I do the same thing. seems to work well for me.