Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has the primer shortage easied up around you?

Boolit Bub
    My local shop in wv i go to has been dry for a year.can still get powder there.the other shop in town wants 45.00 a brick.we have a big shop in the next county with indoor ranges and the works he has anything you want but there powder is 30.00 a pound and primers 40.00 a brick.luckily i have enough to get buy and if my favorite shop runs out of powder walmart is cheaper on powder than the oher places. 4 1/2 years ago primers were 15.90 a thousand.sure miss those days

Boolit Grand Master
    The local shop recently received a LOT of primers and powders, and the prices were almost halved from their former exorbitant cost. That was good to see, although $39/1K isn't a "bargain". The manager said that her prices would likely come down further as more inventory becomes available, but they are still concerned about being stripped out by hoarders--so limits are still in place, but increased substantially (to 1K per day).

As this components shortage continues--but seems to be winding down--I am more and more convinced that hoarders and profiteers bear the greatest responsibility for its causation and continuation. I think a retailer has a right to make a fair profit on any item he/she stocks and sells, but doubling or tripling your cost is NOT a way to build customer goodwill.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

lets see there was 1 box of win lr's 2 boxes of fed 210's a bunch of cci lr's and even rem lr's.
    sr's lpistol sp's and shotgun primers.
    all marked 29,95
    the newer boxes were 31.95
    there used to be two 8lb jugs of i-4895 there also,and there also used to be an 8 lber of 2400.
    haven't seen that in a while.
    no limits either.

Boolit Master

In my area you can buy 400 primers if what they have is what you need.
    Total primer inventory is around. maybe 4000 primers.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, retailers need to make a profit to stay in business. It's up to the retailer what they charge but in my opinion, the % over cost should be reasonable. Knowing that wholesale cost on winchester primers is still around $112/sleeve shipped, it is shocking and disappointing to see some of these prices on primers. I heard one retailer claim his cost had gone up so much on primers that he was having to sell tham at $40/K...I bought several sleeves from his very wholesale source and got them for $115/sleeve! Please don't see this as a hate rant or a slam on retailers. I just think reloaders should really know the truth about some of these prices, and if you can afford to buy in bulk from a wholesaler that is the way to go. Keep what you think you need and pass the savings on to other shooters.

ETA: I'm refering to a case of 5000 primers as a sleeve.
    Last edited by ebg3; 01-12-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Be the bullet...

Boolit Buddy
    I would rather be messin' with my casting/swaging/reloading stuff than just about anything else but these prices are ridiculous. They can take their priners and shove them where the sun don't shine. I'll find something else to do like work on the house, spend time with the family, etc. I refuse to participate in such nonsense.

Paul

Boolit Man
    I was just at the shop I usually buy from last night. No restrictions on how many and they had a good selection by brand at about $30/k. They did mention however that there is supposed to be a 5% increase in April on all ammo and such. What the heck is up with that, I thought prices should be going down not up. Wasn't the reason for the first price jump due to the cost of brass and copper going nuts 2 years ago? Well the cost of brass and copper went down, but the price of primers sure didn't. I guess it could be worse.

Ken

in stock here now at $50 per 1000 for wolf.
    Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

Around her pretty much all sizes are available but brand selection is still limted. I see mostly CCI. and at about $30 K. Cabela's was $10 higher.

Fed-ex Havmat fee $25

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    No haz mat is 22.50 and they can mix and match and ship powder and primers in the same box.

GW.
    You see it is true. $5 in a year. I paid only $20 in Jan. 2009!

http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/...87aacb91e7c649

http://www.wcarmory.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=268
    Last edited by Wireman134; 01-14-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    yep but not the price which is expected

Boolit Master

I can confirm Murphy's statement. Idabel is an extremely rural area in southeastern Oklahoma. It might as well be in Texas. I'm from a county not terribly far away, Atoka. And I'll say this. In Atoka there is one gentleman that I know of that was selling primers.

The last time I went in to his shop he laughed at me when I ask and said those were a thing of the past and he would no longer stock them. He said he couldn't get them, no one could and I should stop handloading. At the time I was still picking up plenty of primers from my source in Tulsa, but competitive pricing is always good. I told him that I was buying them buy the 1k every week for $32 for CCI out the door. He laughed and said he didn't believe me, but if I was telling the truth I should stock up because they were not going to be available to the public anymore... This "Gun Dealer" I believe buys solely from Gun Broker...

But for what its worth I went to the last Gunshow here in Tulsa. I got there around 2-3pm, and I had no problem buying about 4k worth of primers. I got them for about $30 a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I'm located in a very rural area of Oklahoma. The only place to buy primers locally has been dry for sometime now. I haven't spoken with the owner about if and when he'll get more primers in. I'm fairly certain he'll try to stay 'fair' on the price however...or at least hopefully.

On the other hand, I have seen on Gunbroker where some are now beginning to offer 5K sleeves of CCI small pistol..etc, with a beginning bid of $160.00. Which hopefully will start a down trend on prices on Gunbroker in regards to primers.

I'm like everyone else here, not one bit happy about what has taken place in regards to not only primer prices, but other loading supplies as well.

I did sit back and think it over awhile back and came to the conclusion that all in all? We casters/reloaders are still way ahead of the rest of the crowd who only shoot factory ammunition. In my area, a simple box of .38's (50 rounds) will cost a fella close to $18-$19 out the door. $18-$19 a thousand added to the cost of my own loads isn't good I'll admit, but the alternative isn't acceptable either.

A bitter pill I'll admit, but much like others I'm going to hold on a bit longer before I start picking up any more primers.

Just my 2 cents,

Murphy
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.