MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading

Thread: I bent the handle of a Star sizer

Boolit Master

I bent the handle of a Star sizer

The bullets are hard, but not that big. The Star "452" die puts out bullets at about .4525".

Do shovel handles hold up better?

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you may need to run a lubed bullet thru there if you dont already.

I use a shovel handle, I dont know if its any stronger or not.

I would say the handle bending is trying to tell you something (not get a stronger handle)

Boolit Master
    Had the same problem w/ some hard 458's I'd cast. Applied spray on case lube first. No more trouble. +1 on not getting a stronger handle, you'll just break something else.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    I am sure it is more comfortable but being that it is the same diameter it won't be any stronger, I think it is longer than the original hence it may be even easier to bend.
    Just a thought but was your die dry?, got any spray lube? give the die a squirt, should be a lot easier. When I use a fresh made die I will lube the first group of boolits with something like OneShot or Dillon rapid lube. WD-40 would work also.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Bub

Lube

I use Cabela's case lube on the bullets first. A couple of light pumps is all that is needed to lube 500 bullets. It contains isopropyl alcohol and lanolin. It will not harm the bullets and does not contaminate the powder in the loaded ammo. I have been doing it for years. It will save your arm and your star sizer. One bottle will do 10's of thousands of bullets.

Boolit Master

The handle bent in the middle of a string of several thousand 230gr .452 CM bullets from a group buy mold.

The shaft of the handle goes through an axle, and on the end of the axle is what looks like a bolt head. Is that what I have to remove to get the handle out for striaghtening?

Boolit Bub

Yes

Yes, loosen the bolt but it still might be a little bit tight. You might have to tap it out with a hammer and a punch.

Boolit Master
    The handle on my Star has a slight bend also. I took it out and took it to work to straighten it but was unsucessful. I even put it under our press but could not get it to budge. I just reinstalled it in the sizer and purchased a new original from Paul Jones to keep as a spare.

If someone has straightened one I would like to hear how it was accomplished. I didn't want to heat it and leave it soft or black.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can't straiten it, how did you bend it to begin with??? Could it have been that way from the start?

Boolit Master

Been there, done that. Made a new one myself from bar stock I had on hand. I size a lot of the 230CM bullets, from the RCBE mold and the group buy mold. Never had that problem but sure did trying to size the 429421 bullets. Since then I just use the Lyman 450 or 4500 for those and the 45-255 SWC. If I used the Star for them, I would use One Shot to lube them first-but ? Would the One Shot keep the bullet lube from really staying in the lube groove ?
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Good Question Mold maker. The handle did have that slight bend when I bought the sizer used. This is an old San Diego machine that has been used but is pretty close to like new.

I assumed that a previous owner bent the handle using excessive force tring to size something. The reason I thought or still do think this is looking at pictures of new Stars of years ago I have never seen that bend.

I thought that after being bent it work hardened the material resisting my attemps to straighten. I took a oak 4x4 drilled a tight hole and slid the shaft in to the bend. I put it in a vise, pulling pretty good would not begin the change the bend. Next I took it to one of our arbor presses supporting it between two steel blocks. I still could not budge the bend. I took it home and reinstalled it just like I got it.

Has anyone seen new sizers of that era with slight bends in the handle. Did Star manufacture some this way?

Thanks Guys

I got my Star used and it had a bent handle when I got it. I got the L shaped Roller handle from Lathesmith and am in love! Send him a PM and he'll shoot you out one.

His handle is made from a little better steel, and is much more ergonomic than stock. For as inexpensive as his handle is, it isn't worth trying to straighten on that will probably just bend again.

Banned

just roll the handle over so the bend faces up ,you will like it better.
    unless using the boolit feeder.

Boolit Master

Straightening the bent handle was . . . (*ahem*) . . . straight forward. I just clamped the short straight end in a padded vise, and pushed it straight. I would not think that steel rod that thick could bend like that.

CDD