RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad LP primers

Boolit Master
    Sorry to repeat a post, but this applies to several primer threads concurently. The below is correspondence between myself and CCI concerning a funky lot of CCI LP primers back in 2007.
    I was a little disappointed to hear that primers i had to crush to seat flush were within spec. CCI can have QC issues the same as anyone else. It doesn't mean that they're not a good company.
    BD

RE: cci-ammunition.com - Ask CCI
    Thu, April 26, 2007 8:01:00 PM
    William Dallam <w_dallam@yahoo.com> [Chat now]
    View Contact
    To: cciexpert <cciexpert@ATK.com>
    Coy,
    I am measuring with a digital caliper as the blade on my blade mic is not thin enough to get between the legs of an assembled primer. I should probably pull a few apart and measure them with the blade mic. Irregardless of the actual measurement, my lot #JO5H CCI primers will seat OK, My Winchester primers will seat OK and this week I bought 1,000 Federal Large Pistol primers and they seat OK. Unfortunately the CCI lot # DO8M will not seat flush unless I crush them. I've been at this awhile, honest. My .45 acp range brass is mixed. I looked at a box of fifty tonight and there's 12 different headstamps in that box and they all have CCI lot #JO5H primers seated in them just fine. I'll let you know what I find when I pull the anvils out of a few and get good measurements.
    Bill Dallam

cciexpert <cciexpert@ATK.com> wrote:

Bill: the measurement of the cup (between the anvil legs) should be 0.112" +/- 0.004, if you have measured correctly at 0.1115" the primer cup is in-spec. The assembled height (bottom of cup to top of anvil) should measure 0.117" to 0.125" to meet Industry Standard. It would appear that the primers meet Industry Specification, check the primer pockets for size, they should be 0.117" to 0.123" deep. Also, check for burrs on the primer insertion portion of the press.
    Shoot Straight!
    Coy Getman
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501
    (800) 627-3640
    CCI/Speer Technical Coordinator

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    Sorry to repeat a post, but this applies to several primer threads concurently. The below is correspondence between myself and CCI concerning a funky lot of CCI LP primers back in 2007.
    I was a little disappointed to hear that primers i had to crush to seat flush were within spec. CCI can have QC issues the same as anyone else. It doesn't mean that they're not a good company.
    BD

RE: cci-ammunition.com - Ask CCI
    Thu, April 26, 2007 8:01:00 PM
    William Dallam <w_dallam@yahoo.com> [Chat now]
    View Contact
    To: cciexpert <cciexpert@ATK.com>
    Coy,
    I am measuring with a digital caliper as the blade on my blade mic is not thin enough to get between the legs of an assembled primer. I should probably pull a few apart and measure them with the blade mic. Irregardless of the actual measurement, my lot #JO5H CCI primers will seat OK, My Winchester primers will seat OK and this week I bought 1,000 Federal Large Pistol primers and they seat OK. Unfortunately the CCI lot # DO8M will not seat flush unless I crush them. I've been at this awhile, honest. My .45 acp range brass is mixed. I looked at a box of fifty tonight and there's 12 different headstamps in that box and they all have CCI lot #JO5H primers seated in them just fine. I'll let you know what I find when I pull the anvils out of a few and get good measurements.
    Bill Dallam

cciexpert <cciexpert@ATK.com> wrote:

Bill: the measurement of the cup (between the anvil legs) should be 0.112" +/- 0.004, if you have measured correctly at 0.1115" the primer cup is in-spec. The assembled height (bottom of cup to top of anvil) should measure 0.117" to 0.125" to meet Industry Standard. It would appear that the primers meet Industry Specification, check the primer pockets for size, they should be 0.117" to 0.123" deep. Also, check for burrs on the primer insertion portion of the press.
    Shoot Straight!
    Coy Getman
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501
    (800) 627-3640
    CCI/Speer Technical Coordinator
    Sounds like you could have LARGE RIFLE primers, try one in a rifle case and see if it seats properly.

One thing to remember is any thing that is built by us humans can and will produce items that aren't to what we expect. That is why there are phone #s so we can call and lot #s so the items can be traced to the problem.

Just my 2¢ worth and just think I could be wrong.

back to the reloading bench
    I SHOOT MORE FOR LESS

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,With Liberty and Justice for all.

Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

GAS--> $1.55--1-18-09

Fyi Hard primer cups can be a good thing...

1st, My Dad visited me last summer and brought some CCI primers that I had bought in 1984, and stored in a wooden chest in humid Kansas. I loaded them up in .357 cases and all shot great out of a 686 Smith.

That said I purposely use small rifle primers in my 9mm loads for safety in my open bolt NFA registered subguns. A soft cup can detonate the cartridge out of battery because that type of gun uses a fixed firing pin. So hard rifle primers are cheaper than MIL SPEC. so that is what I use and never fails. Note subguns handle more pressure and rifle primers have a hotter flash to ignite slower powder so use this info for your acedemic purposes.......If you use rifle primers work up.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The 1982-1985 CCI lots were/are excellent, and has nothing to do with the current problems. CCI and Federal, specifically the latter, HAD to undergo a cup change to use a different material to pass a different specification, and I suppose that was military oriented, but not stated specifically. That was from communication I had about four years ago now, and reported here by me. I cannot find the emails back and forth. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1874Sharps View Post
    I believe it was Mike in CO who also said in a most rude and recent post that roll crimping a straightwall case that headspaces on its mouth cannot affect headspace of said cartridge, but that is another story. I do not know why some individuals choose to respond to posts in such ill-mannered fashion such as this thread reveals, but perhaps if it is publically called to attention that may dissuade it.
    well because you are 100% wrong in your statement. i neve made such a cliam,
    and your description of headspace is wrong. headspace is a characteristic of a guns chamber, not of ammunition.

that would be clearance, not headspace.

but with all that blackpowder smoke in your eyes you may have an excuse.

yes people should not responed to your poor posts.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

If you are going to pull them apart you could "dry fire" them
    That's not a good idea if they are dry fired in a revolver. It could lock the cylinder up. Primers will back out of a case without a powder charge and boolit seated. Don't ask me how I know.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy
    wow. this thread stopped being fun somewhere over the rocky mountains. Unsubscribing to the thread now. Play nice my brothers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    I load for myself and my son for IDPA shooting. I had loaded up 20 rounds for accuracy testing. I normally use Winchester primers, but open a new brick of CCI primers that my son had purchased about one month ago. He purchased two bricks of 2000 primers that may have defective primers in the intire batch.
    While testing the new rounds, I got 12 misfires out of 20 rounds. The primers showed good indention and they also failed to fire on a second try. I have not pulled the shells apart yet to check the primers. The bad part of this, I had used the same brick to load up 600 rounds of match ammo for my son prior to loading these 20 rounds for testing in another gun.
    Has anyone else been incountering problems with CCI primers. I have never in 30 years of loading incountered this amount of misfires out of a box of primers. I tested the gun with another load with Winchester primers and no misfires.
    I know that CCI has a rep for hard cup metal, but the primer indention was good and not caused by a light firing pin hit or a high primer.

so why do i have an attitude over this post ?

because the guy says "may have defective primers in the intire batch.", but he has not talked to the manufacturer. he is out on a public forum claiming a 60% failure rate of cci lp primers.

thats why.

if you have an issue with a product, go to the maker, and ask. then if, and only if, after discussing with the maker, things are not resolved, then go public. airing an issue like this is just plain rude.

publish:
    where they were purchased
    lot number
    and when they were purchased.
    way too many variables to whine without asking the maker first.

mike in co

Boolit Buddy
    ugh. Forgot to hit the unsub link. Won't forget that now.

Boolit Buddy
    I have only been a member of this forum for 6 months, But I might have asked the same question if I had a 60% failure rate. I would ask it here to get feedback, the groups opinion, which is what he does when he says
    Has anyone else been incountering problems with CCI primers.
    Only he put a period rather than a question mark, but clearly it is a question.

And he has received many different answers.

In the end he will probably need to talk to the manufacturer, but if there had been a well known defect there is a good chance that knowledgeable people here might have known about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by grages View Post
    I have only been a member of this forum for 6 months, But I might have asked the same question if I had a 60% failure rate. I would ask it here to get feedback, the groups opinion, which is what he does when he says
    Only he put a period rather than a question mark, but clearly it is a question.

And he has received many different answers.

In the end he will probably need to talk to the manufacturer, but if there had been a well known defect there is a good chance that knowledgeable people here might have known about it.
    like the manufacture..one phone call ...google is your friend

and i migh have taken your position if he hadn't said"may have defective primers in the intire batch"...but he did...so i stand by my story.

no need to ask us when the maker is so close.
    Last edited by mike in co; 12-17-2009 at 07:42 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I think asking us is perfectly legit. Manufacturers rely on feedback from people like us to help find problems.

If this cant be kept to a civil tone, I'm going to lock it and whatever thread it migrates to next. I've now said it twice. Don't make me resort to individual warnings.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    hi,
    I have had an occasional bad primer. but very few in the last 30+ years of reloading. I have also had bad factory rounds. most reloads problems were probibly my fault. And % has been very, very low in both cases.

All, Here's a copy of an e-mail from CCI that I received earlier today. Note the change in telephone number and the availability of Mr. Getman:

Thank you for your email.

CCI #34 primers, Lot E19C were manufactured in May of 1997. We do not
    have any prior reports of problems on this lot in our database records.

The best suggestion I can make at this time (our technician is out until
    Jan 4th) is to call our Technical line on or after Jan 4th and discuss
    with him. Technical Services 1-866-286-7436 (Coy Getman) Linda

Linda Olin
    CCI/Speer Technical Services
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501

Oh, by the way, speaking of CCI and contacts by phone and email, I dropped them an email about two weeks back or so and proposed that they consider coming out with a run of Berdan primers so that reloaders can reload some of that old foreign milsurp ammo. Linda Olin said that she would forward that idea on. I hope CCI and other makers will do this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1874Sharps View Post
    Oh, by the way, speaking of CCI and contacts by phone and email, I dropped them an email about two weeks back or so and proposed that they consider coming out with a run of Berdan primers so that reloaders can reload some of that old foreign milsurp ammo. Linda Olin said that she would forward that idea on. I hope CCI and other makers will do this.

wolf makes them..just need to convince($$$$) someone to bring them in.....
    i have a sleeve of lr.......they were only $120 delivered...ouch don't you wish ...

mike in co

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post

primers are one of the most consistant products in our field.
    really? where are they at?
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 500bfrman View Post
    really? where are they at?
    are you asking where primers are at ?
    if so the gun show in at the merchandise mart(i25 and 58th) tanner, will have nearly every make and size. one of my customers is a componnent/ammo seller and has just recieved a lagre shipment of primers.

mike in co

Boolit Buddy
    I don't remember seeing so many "experts" on a subject in one thread since I started reading this forum.
    All the original poster asked was about CCI primers failing to ignite. Look at all the advice about revolvers, his loading technique, and all the other subjects not at all related to the original question.
    How about limiting replies to your personal experience and not something you have heard from a friend of a friend, or read on the internet?
    Sorry for the rant.
    Clyde