RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Nose profiles and accuracy, 45LC only.

Boolit Master

Nose profiles and accuracy, 45LC only.

I thought I had better split this up from the previous posts relative to the same subject.

I believe it was 44 Man that said basically all WFN designs have the same basic accuracy. I would like to believe that this is not what he meant, because I don't believe it.
    When anyone starts changing the design of projectiles/calibers there has to be changes in all aspects of that projectile. These changes can only be truly known by investigating that specific bullet/caliber.
    When I ask a question about a 45 LC that is the bullet of interest to me not another caliber, designs may be the same, and everyone may have tons of information concerning the .44, but everything else is different so results are different. If it is not specifically directed at the question or additional information that might be useful, YOU are confusing the situation/question.
    I don't mean to be offensive by any stretch of the imagination, I just wish things to remain focused in MY direction and 75 % of you do just that, thanks.

If anyone finds this inappropriate, sorry, thats life!

Question: Has anyone used the bullet design of Mr. Gates in 45 LC that can be found in the Classics section of this web site, if so what is your opinions?

I have not and have not seen this design do you have a link that could point me in his direction

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    I have not and have not seen this design do you have a link that could point me in his direction
    Here is the link. It actually is on this web site under the "Classics" its a very good read, but I know nothing about it other then the information there.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48098

Banned

James Gates is a wonderful and very smart man.
    I shoot all kinds of boolits, WLN, WFN and RNFP's. Accuracy can be the same but at long ranges, drop changes for each style. So far that is the only difference I see. I see nothing wrong with James' boolits.
    If the gun is right and the right dies are used for loading, along with the proper alloy, there is no reason for poor accuracy.
    There is no special boolit that shoots better then another in the .45. Only the Keith opens groups for me. Still well within hunting accuracy. It just does not have the fine edge I want.
    I am going to be the last person to tell anyone that they need a certain boolit and boolit weight.
    Don't look for a magic boolit, what you do at the loading bench will be what is important.
    I have not seen ANY WFN or WLN lose accuracy as far as 500 meters. There are other factors involved before you even pull the trigger.

Changeling, may I ask what platform you intend to launch these bullets from? Ruger? Freedom Arms? USFA? Very interesting link!..... Dennis (Excuse me if I missed that somewhere else...)
    Last edited by Bucks Owin; 11-14-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Changeling, 44 Man's advice is good. You asked for advice about boolit nose profiles, and got it.

There's nothing magical about different calibers, if a WFN is good in 44, it's good in 45, or 50 or whatever. Keep in mind that there's very little difference between the 44 Mag and the 45 Colt in a Ruger, other than the 45 is slightly scaled up in diameter, and the resulting dimensional changes in the gun. They are practically twins, they are so similar. Same for most any other straight wall magnum revolver cartridge.

Changeling, I found in a different thread that your gun is a Ruger right? Before you get groups like 44man, (his ability notwithstanding!), you may need a little tweaking of the "out of the box" gun itself. A Ruger ain't a F.A. when it comes to tolerances! Especially in .45 LC.... FWIW, Dennis

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin View Post
    Changeling, I found in a different thread that your gun is a Ruger right? Before you get groups like 44man, (his ability notwithstanding!), you may need a little tweaking of the "out of the box" gun itself. A Ruger ain't a F.A. when it comes to tolerances! Especially in .45 LC.... FWIW, Dennis
    I understand that the Ruger will need some/lot tweaking more than likely, I won't know that till after the police check and I get it. I don't know what its like where you guys live but Maryland is a PITA!

It's a Ruger 45LC, SS, 5.5 BlackHawk.

Once I get the cylinder and the barrel dimensions correct (cylinder gap?) and a good trigger job, and the barrel correct there is no reason that it won't shoot very well and even as well as a Freedom Arms.
    The Ruger platform is great, it's just there ability to use the correct machining techniques/tolerances, or want to for some strange reason!

I'm used to rifles and I have never seen a rifle that didn't like some particular bullet and load even with bullets of the same shape/weight/quality.

Boolit Bub
    Heres a bit of info that was given to me by hamilton bowen with regards to barrel gap. I had to inquire about possibly fixing mine up when I get ready to ship it out to him for a perfected bisley conversion.

From Hamilton:

I'll have to admit to a jaded view of barrel gaps. Much like forcing cones, close barrel gaps have been a constant source of unwarranted income for gunsmiths for years. I can't tell that it makes a whit of difference whether the gap is .003 or .008. The only reservation would be if it is a bit long and you get a lot of spitting that a good forcing cone won't cure. No matter what the gap, a high-pressure magnum is going to spit something, if not bullet material or unburned powder, then lost of hi-pressure gas.

Further, to run a really close gap, you migth have to ream the frame for a double-oversize pin, face the cylinder, then set back the barrel and then reshoot for windage. You can end up with a couple hundred dollars in such an undertaking or, roughly, $100 per .001 of gap saved, not a good economy in my view.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ctkelly View Post
    Heres a bit of info that was given to me by hamilton bowen with regards to barrel gap. I had to inquire about possibly fixing mine up when I get ready to ship it out to him for a perfected bisley conversion.

From Hamilton:

I'll have to admit to a jaded view of barrel gaps. Much like forcing cones, close barrel gaps have been a constant source of unwarranted income for gunsmiths for years. I can't tell that it makes a whit of difference whether the gap is .003 or .008. The only reservation would be if it is a bit long and you get a lot of spitting that a good forcing cone won't cure. No matter what the gap, a high-pressure magnum is going to spit something, if not bullet material or unburned powder, then lost of hi-pressure gas.

Further, to run a really close gap, you migth have to ream the frame for a double-oversize pin, face the cylinder, then set back the barrel and then reshoot for windage. You can end up with a couple hundred dollars in such an undertaking or, roughly, $100 per .001 of gap saved, not a good economy in my view.
    Exactly, forget the gap. Most are in the range.
    One should never get carried away with jobs that are not needed.