Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Small town, USA

Boolit Grand Master

Small town, USA

Got to talkin' with the local auto shop mechanic the other day about some repairs to be done. Come to find out he's a handloader. When I told him I cast, he says "There's a bucket over there 'bout half full of balance weights. You can have those if you want and I'll start savin' 'em for ya'".

Small town, USA

Boolit Buddy
    I asked and asked in town at every shop in town here in Kenosha WI, a relatively good sized town. Everyone said "no". It wasnt till I went to a smaller town out in the country that a good old boy said "he(( yes". Thank goodness for small towns, give me a year and a half and I will be a citizen of one, and then I will start what I refer to as 'the compound'.

Banned

we have two mechanics and two tire shops three of whom are boolit casters.
    i have to go to the big city to get ww's.

Boolit Bub
    Most of the tire shops in my town have a contract arrangement with the battery companies (Interstate I think is the one getting them all). None of them want to give any up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atom73 View Post
    ..... give me a year and a half and I will be a citizen of one.....

I think you'd really like this one I'm in. Send me a PM and I'll send you some links to sites that will tell you a lot about the area.
    My wife & I came up here for a long weekend May a year ago and that's how we found out about it. We got to checkin' things out and here we are. I have burned my sails.

stephen perry

Wheel Weights

I am fortunate to have one tire shop that will give me a bucket of ww. This might not last but I will try. I have been their customer for 30 years this helps. Keep trying on the lead.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Mold
    Good find. I've lived in small town Montana my whole life, and fortunately have saved up a pretty good stock pile of WW's while they were available. All our tire shops now use the Non-toxic weights and what lead comes in on old tires goes to the battery company...)-=

Quote Originally Posted by Ctkelly View Post
    Most of the tire shops in my town have a contract arrangement with the battery companies (Interstate I think is the one getting them all). None of them want to give any up.
    What's it going to hurt those battery outfits, if the manager lets you have a few ww's? This is our corporate policy bla,bla,bla... I should of offered them some $$$, maybe buy him lunch... LOL

Boolit Master
    I'm not wanting to contaminate this great forum with politics but, I think the cooperate policy/battery recycler thing is a flat out lie. I think the manager sells the wheel weights himself at in a lot of cases.
    Offering 50 cents per pound is a good fair price for both parties and may just get you a bucket of WWs
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    I'm not wanting to contaminate this great forum with politics but, I think the cooperate policy/battery recycler thing is a flat out lie. I think the manager sells the wheel weights himself at in a lot of cases.
    Offering 50 cents per pound is a good fair price for both parties and may just get you a bucket of WWs
    Interstate Battery offers a discount up to and including 25% off of battery wholesale depending on the amount of lead you sell them back.

Exide battery(Interstate's parent company) has a whole TEAM of Reps going out and buying battery lead from tire shops.

See a metal sign with "INTERSTATE BATTERY" and a little metal 2laneroad going at an angle at the bottom? That shop has a contract with Exide to buy the lead.

And YES, Breech of contract is taken to heart by Exide..