RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion to the Mods and Owner

Boolit Buddy
    You WILL loose members as I have seen it happen in other forums.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by desteve811 View Post
    So, can I shoot a gas check design w/o a gc??
    Well, you can take a Lee C358 158 SWC and load it upside down if you want, and it will shoot o.k.

I ain't making any claims to accuracy, though...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    I think we should remember that when welcoming a newbie, many people here add " The only dumb question is the one never asked". That said, a GC section seems smart to me. And if someone does ask "can I......", take a peek at their post count-if it's 3 or 7 I would cut em some slack. If it's 62 I'd whack em on the nose with a rolled up newspaper
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master

What does the post count have anything to do with it? I have near a 1000, and I consider myself an apprentice in skill. I make beautiful boolits, know how to allow, trouble shoot my equipment and have been reloading for quite some time. But I learn everyday from my own experiences and those of others on this board and in my personal life.

You know what, some of you guys might get to frustrated with teaching someone that wants to learn. But as long as I'm not telling the same guy/girl over and over and over about the same exact thing, I'll take that time to give them the best answer I can.

Thats what I've always loved about this board. Is the fact that the people here were always so kind to one another. You take that away and you turn this into a board just like all the others on the internet. You do that, and it changes everything about us. I consider this a very strong and kind community. One were people ship each others molds to try out, cost free. Will sit down and cast 500 - 1000 boolits of whatever make for a guy that cant seem to find that mold, or wants to try them out, for little or no cost. When people will put their own items up for auction just for the benefit of the site.

If the mods think there is enough discussion on GCs to start a new sub forum, then by all means. But why would we do it just so we don't have to answer the newcomers questions? That is ridiculous. We're here to teach each other. Not ignore them, or tell them to use the search function.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    I was just saying a single digit post count might be someone who doesn't know their way around the site yet
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Grand Master

If only new subjects could be posted or discussed the board would die. There is nothing to fix. Ignore the "same question for the ten thousandth time" posts if they annoy you.

I'll do just that. In fact, I'll jot down all the posters here who want every question answered in full every time it is asked. And I'll also watch and see how eager those same folks are to type a thousand words or so every single time somebody asks "I'm thinking of casting my own bullets. What do I need to know?"

Walk the walk, folks. Or...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    I'll do just that. In fact, I'll jot down all the posters here who want every question answered in full every time it is asked. And I'll also watch and see how eager those same folks are to type a thousand words or so every single time somebody asks "I'm thinking of casting my own bullets. What do I need to know?"

Walk the walk, folks. Or...
    As you wish. It is certainly not right that you be forced to answer any questions, whether the answers require 5 words or a 1,000.

And since this has gone sour, and I'm sure will get far worse, I think it is time to go cast bullets and forget the forum for a spell. Oh, and be sure to spell my name right.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

There is now a Gas Check area, it will take some time to move threads as I search.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Hey guys just wanted to share this with ya.
    Earlier I jinxed myself
    I didn't want to feel like a dummy for asking a repeat. and I don't think I have ... Yet.
    and then this happens lol

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=58274&page=3

and this is an excellent example of what I was talking about earlier. Sweede simply showed me how to obtain my answer. He didn't waste any more time on it then necessary, no need for a long spill about it. Now he has more time to learn more so he can teach me more later!

BTW Thanks Sweede for your Patience and assistance.

In Remebrance

Thanks very much Ken, decent of you.

In the interests of clarity, it's not so much seeing the same question asked 300 times, it's that despite making stickies and having a search feature folks can't seem to FIND the info that's here. Giving one answer to a question is fine, having an entire section dedicated to GC discussion and a place to keep all the pertinent info seems like a help to oldtimer and noobie alike.

Boolit Master
    I bet the g/c question still gets asked.

Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    I bet the g/c question still gets asked.
    Thats the difference between a discussion board, which we are, versus a wiki or a book or a video that you cannot get feedback from.

With over eleven thousand currently registered members there is bound to be repetition, but that is just a reflection of how things are on a board and even how humanity IS and always will be.

A perfect example, the repeated wars over how "I am right and you are wrong" on every level of history internally and externally in counties, countries and communities on this earth.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Well, as effective as "tough love" is with kids, I think it would be ineffective here. We have numerous threads on gas check making and the function of gas checks and all the opinion that goes with it. While I find the weekly "can I use a gc mould w/o the gc" MADDENING, I think we would be doing a service to the board to create a section for it. It may seem superfluous to add yet another specialized section, but considering the volume if posts related to gas checks it seems worthy of consideration.

Mike- Thank you for the thoughtful input. Duh says it all.
    I asked this recently, I have read many of the classics and stickies. My search though...returned hundreds of threads, none of them relevant to my question.

Just saying.

and that is why a discussion board such as this exists.

really, without the discussion, we have lost our purpose.

castboolits@gmail.com

Moderator Emeritus

Every time the same old question comes up "NEW" means there is a newbie looking for help. Guess what, thats what keeps our interest growing.

I've only been casting since 73 and I learn a lot from folks here, I hope folks dont get tired of helping out the beginers.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It doesn't appear anyone who has posted, is against having the GC forum.

How do we get people to look? That seems to be a stumbling block.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by joeb33050 View Post
    The reason we put the book together was that topics covered in any forum, like this, go lower and lower on the page, and finally disappear. Forums do a poor job of saving the important info, it has to do with the architecture. We, some WE, know the answers to most questions about cast bullets. Any forum has construction that makes finding answers a little difficult. The book put the answers in one place.
    Now, the forum could take care of this problem with a FAQ place immediately under "CAST BULLETS". I'm prepared to help with the FAQ.
    joe b.
    First, I want to say that I like Bret's idea because of his stated reasons. Secondly, thanks to Ken for implementing a Gas Check Section. AND lastly, I think that Joe has an excellent idea too. I realize that some won't bother to read, but the vast majority of fellows I've seen post here do take the time to read the stickies. Heck, I still find stuff in them that I missed previously! A FAQ stickie sounds like a good idea to me...maybe in the first heading group to get everyones attention. My 2 pence worth...

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Google Cast bullet and even with the misspell here---this place comes up first. Doesn't it stand to reason a person with a question would come here? Does it not also stand to reason they wont be familar with how this place is set up--the stickies and all and will post a question that has been asked before? How many times have I answered several questions like muffin tins, which sizer/luber, on and on. If I dont care to I don't. I know someone will. On another forum I posted the question can a bullet be shot without a gas check? This was over half hour ago. Nobody has even looked at the post. Here usually within half an hour there will be several posts. I say delete this whole thread and leave things alone---if it aint broke dont fix it.

Cast Boolits Owner

Post it as a special message at the top of the page for a week or so. Something like "We have added a new section to our site! Take a moment to browse through the Gas Check Forum"
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -