Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman mould # 454-190 ?

Boolit Master

Lyman mould # 454-190 ?

I just found this in a bunch of stuff I was given years ago, it cast a 265gr boolit and cast at .460. Here is the question can I use this boolit in my 45/70's? I know it is a little light but has anyone tried a boolit this light in there 45/70?
    I will size it down to .454 for my Puma 45 Colt will be a good load for that, but .460 is what I shoot my Shiloh and M1867 RB at. I have never tried anything under 405 in the Shiloh but the Rolling Block likes the 310gr Lyman, the Shiloh really likes 450 or 500 gr the RB doesn't.

Boolit Buddy
    I use that very same boolit with black powder in my #3. Works durn good for plinking loads

Boolit Master
    Thanks! will try even in the Shiloh.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range
    Gentlemen, I am looking for a mold that will cast .460 in a light weight (250 - 300) or even lighter. I want something for plinking and "vermin" shooting. Lots of coyotes in my neck of the woods.

Thanks Sniper Chief (S.C.)

Boolit Grand Master

I also have this in an old Ideal mould and it works fine in every 45-70 I have tried it in. With as little as 7 grains of Unique it makes a nice plinking load and with a full charge of FFg it is a deadly deer load.

You know, you could use a dedicated 45 Colt or ACP bullet and paper patch it up to 0.459" diameter. You could make them quite light (probably too light potentially) that way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Chief View Post
    Gentlemen, I am looking for a mold that will cast .460 in a light weight (250 - 300) or even lighter. I want something for plinking and "vermin" shooting. Lots of coyotes in my neck of the woods.

Thanks Sniper Chief (S.C.)
    Check NEI. I have a 120gr collar button mold from them. They probably have what you want.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Howdy, A few years back I ran across an old Ideal mold #457127. It is listed at 210gr w/#2 alloy. Never got around to using it. If anyone would like to borrow it for a week or so just PM me.
    You pay USPS both ways...

I have a lyman 452423 mold that drops .455+. I beagled it to .459 and shoot it in my roller 45/70 with small doses of pistol powder. It weighs 235ish gr.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine