Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many are planning on huntin with their own cast boolits this fall?

Boolit Buddy
    i busted 1 deer last year with my cz75 and a cast 162 gr semiwadcutter, could not miss she was standing right under mt stand maybee 20 feet, right through the brain pan, going to play with my .303 brit and 311299 and 30 grns of big game, or 7.62 idf same bullet 5 grains less same powder, as well as my m-48 , and last but not lest 45-70 and 15 grain unique and a 405 lee , it real accurate out of my handi.

Why would I hunt with anything else?
    Glen

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

this is what's left of a 311290 last year

the results

I think I'll use CB's again this year
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

In Remembrance

I took my first deer with cast last year and plan to take deer with 30-30 and 45-70 Marlins, 54 cal. Muzzle loader, and Ruger Old Army with 255 gr.

Boolit Master
    I will be using my Ruger 454 Casull, a Marlin 44 mag, and a Marlin 45/70 with my cast boolits.

Hoping to take a 6th bull elk this year with a handgun.

I've been using a S&W 29 6 1/2 in the past but this year I'll be using a S&W 500 for the first time. If my MiHec mould makes it in time I expect that boolit will be my choice. If not, I'll be using either custom 535 gr. custom cast boolits from Ranger Rick or Lee 440 gr SWC's. This will be a preliminary test for a moose hunt in Alaska.

There is something very special about taking game with your own cast boolits and handloads..... I'll be wishing everyone on this board good luck with this hunting season. I hope everyone reports back with details of their hunt. It's fun to read about the adventures and experiences - successful or not...

"Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Buddy
    Assuming I'll get to hunt this fall, it'll definitely be with cast. A 358627 @ 2080'/s for deer in my 358 Savage99 or a 400 gr. in my 71/84 Mauser for black bear which is what I used for the last one. Texas heart shot wound up in the neck muscles. Unless I hunt the wide open prairies, it'll be cast for the rest of my life. Why not?? Ron.D

O.S.O.K. you might consider surface lubing the bore-rider section of that boolit for a little more velocity with straight WW.

This is a knurled example. There is no leading with this method provided there is no gas leak which did occur once resulting in flame cutting and leading!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    Why would I hunt with anything else?
    No kiddin!

I've been reading this thread and don't understand "hunting with cast bullets" . . .

Are you guys saying there is something else?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    No kiddin!

I've been reading this thread and don't understand "hunting with cast bullets" . . .

Are you guys saying there is something else?

Rick
    I agree. I have used cast for so many years, I look at jacketed bullets with distrust. After all, they are trying to make the modern bullet do what a boolit ALWAYS has done.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Browning mountain rifle, .50 cal, for elk this year. Maxi ball and 85 gr 2 F Goex.

Sharps, 45-100 (2.6), 405 gr bullet with 85 gr 2 F Goex, for deer, bear, cougar, ??????? What ever gets up when I'm hunting and has a bad day.

Saw a really nice black bear last evening!!!!

Boolit Buddy

Yep! 50 Cal Maxi ball 90 gr FFFg Goex in T/C Hawken.
    It doesn't get any better than this...

Blkpwdrbuff

Boolit Master

Tipped over 3 deer last fall with RCBS 200gr in 35 whelen.
    For speed goat hunting this fall I will use jacketed, 6.5s, bought tags for an area 300 miles from home and time will be limited.
    Deer will get recycled wheel weights @ .358.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Yes, certainly. I have taken two whitetails previously, with my paper-patched 8 x 57 Yugo Mauser.....so I know that the rifle and loads work well. I recently shortened the barrel to "carbine" length, which is how I always wanted it....so I had to re-work my load. However, I am able to use the same bullet....just with a faster powder. I am even getting about the same velocity, as before. I'm in the process now of finding a new place to hunt, or ideally, several places to try. If that goes according to plan....then I'll be out on opening day....or shortly thereafter.

Boolit Master
    I'm hopeing to get out deer hunting this year. With this el nino forecasted, snow making season will hopefully hold off til after deer season. Not sure what I'm going to use yet. I have a buffalo classic that launches paper patched 405gr flat noses at 1800fps really nice. Also have a CZ-550 in .375 H&H on the way, might use that depending on how load development goes. All I have loaded for that so far is 20 rounds of 200gr jacketed at 3000FPS. Do ya'll think I might be undergunned for eastern whitetail deer? Do I need to kick the loads up a notch?
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Mold
    I've just recently began pouring my own (about a year ago) and look forward to trying them in the field during this years deer season. My 8 year old son will be shooting a 44 marlin with my own poured...Me with my mdl 29, and I look forward to the bear season when I can check out the Lee 440gr in my 500. Also may try the 375gr Lyman in 500. Either one should kill an old black bear!

Talking

Been putting grub on the table for awhile now with the silver stream of life (cast bullets)
    My wife and I are leaving this friday eve on a drive up to Fairbanks Alaska .
    We are flying out to do a 16 day ( + - ) float hunt for Moose,Caribou,Grizz and black bear with the option of Wolf and Dall sheep .
    I will be using my 500 Cyrus CCM with my 700 Grain WFNGC and my S&W 500 with the same 700 Grain Thumpers.
    My wife will use her 338 ( 275 Grain Herters ,not cast ) and will have her 44 mag side arm with my 360 Grain WFNGC .

Should be fun .
    Hope to bring back at least one critter for the pot .

RR
    PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT !!! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!!!!!
    HOME OF THE 500 MAGNUM TYRANNOSAURUS THUMPER'S.........

USS SARATOGA CV-60

I'll be using my Enfield no5 mk 1 or my Santa Fe jungle copy stoked with Lee c-312-185's at 2200fps+. 40 grains of h4895 will be pushing my homemade softpoints. So far, I haven't been able to get the no5 mk1 to group but this load is very accurate in the tighter barreled jungle copy. Open sights should get the job done as my shot probably wont be longer than 50 yards.

Boolit Master

I am in the process of switching from jacketed to cast and yes I still have a lot of jacketed bullets and will use them until they are gone. But I really like the idea of being able to make my own bullets and then to hunt with them. Might get a chance to cow elk hunt this fall and if so that will be muzzle loader in 54 caliber and my own maxi ball bullet. I have even been mixing my own mix of lead for them when time permits which this summer didn't and now fall is here and I just might get a few minutes to play.
    My over all goal is to have one good lead mold for each and everyone of my firearms and then jacketed bullets are only for seeing how close my lead bullets come to them in performance from my firearms.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

I am...for deer....308Win / savage 99C / 180 gr RN ......good out to 100 yards