Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Homebrew powered trimmer

Homebrew powered trimmer

My newest addition to my homebrew line. I tried to justify buying an RCBS Trim-Mate but don't have an extra $100 sitting around. I got this idea from the Sinclair Intl catalog/website, but again, didn't want to drop $395 on that one either.

So I dissected an old Craftsman 7.2 volt drill whose batteries went dead years ago. Hooked it up to my homebrew bench power supply (old computer power supply) and found it turned at about the right speed with good torque. A little felt on the base makes it slide easy enough on the bench.

I can also use it independently like a Trim-Mate prep center by unchucking the trimmer.
    Last edited by cheese1566; 03-06-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Looks great. I've got the RCBS trimmer unit and have not been overwhelmed with it. I think you've got something that likely works better for a lot less money. And if you're drill or power supply goes bad, you can replace them cheaply and easily.

Great job!

Regards,

Dave

Boolit Mold
    very cool.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Is'nt yankee injunity grrrrreat.

yeah that is a niffty invention. anything that helps to save some funds is always great. keep up the good work
    " I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere"
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    My newest addition to my homebrew line. I tried to justify buying an RCBS Trim-Mate but don't have an extra $100 sitting around. I got this idea from the Sinclair Intl catalog/website, but again, didn't want to drop $395 on that one either.

So I dissected an old Craftsman 7.2 volt drill whose batteries went dead years ago. Hooked it up to my homebrew bench power supply (old computer power supply) and found it turned at about the right speed with good torque. A little felt on the base makes it slide easy enough on the bench.

I can also use it independently like a Trim-Mate prep center by unchucking the trimmer.

my suggestion...hook it up the the wilson in the back and chuck the lyman....

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy

D*mn, another project to add to the list.

Nice job cheese
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Very nice. My lexdysia saw powDer trimmer, and I thought "why would you need to trim your powder?"

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    my suggestion...hook it up the the wilson in the back and chuck the lyman....
    mike in co

I would too, but I don't have a case holder for 223 (bulk of my fast trimming for a black rifle) and it's actually an old C-H trimmer. Old enough that the crank handle is pressed on to the cutter shaft. Still sharp and I cannot justify spending money on a new one just for the feature. The "refurbished" Hornady has new cutter shaft from a previous owner and had some play in it already. I figure I'll wear this one out first and save the C-H for my precision reloading