MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMCD Products

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shot my Chrony!!

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    Mine is green and has 3 cute little 22 half moons in it . If you don't tear up one you ain't havin' fun . James

Mine has managed to survive for over 20 years now, but it did take a hit from a piece of boolit lube one day. That small spec of lube was enough to damage the display, but not enough to stop it from working. If I was smart, I would have mounted a piece of polycarbonate over the front of the thing when I first got it.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I purchased one of the first Chrony's to hit the market, Red in color and you had to shoot thru the hole of the cardboard insert.

I think I chrongraphed everything I could get my hands on and found some eye opening results. Things like, why does my friends S&W 29 using the same load, from the same box of ammo I'm using shoot 100 fps faster than mine? Interesting stuff....

I even went so far as to carry it to deer camp one year. My hunting buddy decided he wanted to try his Sharps and see how fast the loads were moving along.

I sat my Chrony up on a camera tripod and we stepped off 10'. He let er' rip with that big ole Sharps. Oh, did I mention it was a 45-120 he was shooting?

My Chorny and camera tripod went over backwards...*SHOCK* He's shot my Chrony!!! Noooo!

Nope, muzzle blast alone did it. The Lexan face was shattered but readable, I used it until a year or so back and sent it in on a trade in.

Gotta say, I like Chrony!

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Murphy, your story is full of HOT AIR!
    --------------
    Ron

Banned
    I shot a five shot group on my chronograph that was under a 1/4 inch. Of course it ruined the chrony.

Joe

Boolit Buddy

I started with the cheapest Chrony, I shot it, upgraded for a nominal fee. Then I did it again, and again. I was up to the Beta Master and I hit it with a 6.5 142gr SMK doing 2850. The thing exploded, a piece of sharpnel took out a window in the front of my house.

I found a lot of the pieces, swept them in a box and sent them to Chony (more as a joke), and put in a note that said "they just don't make things like they used to". I figured they would get a good laugh out of it.

A couple days later I get a call from Chrony, the lady says they can fix it, but it will cost $35. I said "sure" and gave her my CC number. I'm guessing the joke will come back on me, but I'll play along.

I get a package in the mail, and its a brand new in the box Chrony!

So, as with just about all gun related industry, the customer service is tops! Add this to my experience with Dillon, RCBS, and even Lee, no other industry I know of comes close.

I've borrowed one from time to time from a friend who shoots/used-to-shoot while drinking beer. MANY holes in it, but still functional!
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I purchased one of the first Chrony's to hit the market, Red in color and you had to shoot thru the hole of the cardboard insert. Murphy
    Same as my Chrony, so far it has only been nicked, not wounded or DRT. Who knows, maybe one day.

It is not reading at the moment, but I believe that is because one of the diffusers is in pieces (shot).
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken O View Post
    I started with the cheapest Chrony, I shot it, upgraded for a nominal fee. Then I did it again, and again. I was up to the Beta Master and I hit it with a 6.5 142gr SMK doing 2850. The thing exploded, a piece of sharpnel took out a window in the front of my house.

I found a lot of the pieces, swept them in a box and sent them to Chony (more as a joke), and put in a note that said "they just don't make things like they used to". I figured they would get a good laugh out of it.

A couple days later I get a call from Chrony, the lady says they can fix it, but it will cost $35. I said "sure" and gave her my CC number. I'm guessing the joke will come back on me, but I'll play along.

I get a package in the mail, and its a brand new in the box Chrony!

So, as with just about all gun related industry, the customer service is tops! Add this to my experience with Dillon, RCBS, and even Lee, no other industry I know of comes close.
    Now you know roughly, how much it cost them to manufacture, package, and ship that model. I agree that the reloading/casting/shooting industry is like no other.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy
    I added a remote switch so I can scroll through the results after I do a string of shots.

This way I do not set my gun down and record the results, then pick up shoot and repeat.

Is a real time saver, and helps with the accuracy.

I bought the stuff from Radio Shack and worked like a charm.

I need to add the poly shield to the front of mine.

Boolit Master

I'm really enjoying reading your stories on this matter. I'm glad I'm not alone!

FWIW, mine is the original red unit. It originally had the cardboard screens that you shot thru a hole like Murphy described. I did nick the edge of the hole once. I got the first upgrade which replaced the cardboards with upright wires and some hazy plastic covers. I just recently ordered new screens, not because of damage but because of age. The plastic got brittle and was starting to crack at the slots for the wires.

Keep the stories coming!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by archmaker View Post
    I added a remote switch so I can scroll through the results after I do a string of shots.

This way I do not set my gun down and record the results, then pick up shoot and repeat.
    And I believe this is how most chronographs get shot. Hand-held firearms. If you don't want holes in your bullet speedometer, put your firearm on a good rest so you can control muzzle direction and keep the bullets above the screens.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I probably should mention that after a shot mine years ago, I use a rest when using a chrony.
    Here's why - even the best like Rob Lathan I've seen flinch his pistol toward the ground on a misfire, I've done it or DO IT is a better term on misfires, seventh round in my revolvers, delayed boom in my 500 S&W ~ it human to do so, and even more human to do it before the boom after a long day of shooting.
    So a two dollar bad of sand is a lot cheaper than a 100 dollar chrony. Just my 2 cents...
    I actually use a 20 dollar pistol rest that's adjustable, and works great for testing load acceracy and velocity at the same time. Spread doesn't mean crap if they can't group in a particular gun.

BTW: I've seen guys chisel a box inside a railroad tie, and mount a couple of pieces of hardened steel on the front like a 30° nose cone. They mount the hole deal on a couple of saw horses. Cheap insurance, especially in these economically challenging times.
    Last edited by ronterry; 07-30-2009 at 02:04 AM.
    --------------
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I hear you on using a rest. But I have never shoot my chrony with a gun while standing.

But I can assure you that an arrow will make the unit unreadable.

I think this is my third one.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    There is a gunshop in Brisbane that has several on display, mounted on boards like trophies. I don't think that I want to win the competition that would get me that trophy. I have no hit my Chrony with lead (YET), but a lube cookie will leave a mark.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Actually, I'm quite happy someone shot something that actually has no purpose being around a shooting range, or firearm.
    Take it out, bury it, water it well, and forget about it.
    masscaster

I center punched one some years ago. Bought another and made a mount with 1/2 inch AR steel at sharp obliquity to protect the machine. Worked until I hit it with a 550 grain .45 slug. I did not dent the unit but the shock of the hit unglued the innards, The sight of the mount and chronograph turning cart wheels in a cloud of smoke only needed a cry of "Hi Yo Silver, Away" to be complete.

Dan "The Whiner" Cash

I did it the old fashioned way...

Do people really shoot over their chronograph from the off hand postion ? I would be amazed every time such a shooter didn't hit the chronograph ! When I shot mine, I did it the same old fashioned way I always do it: from a rest.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I don't know about "off hand", but I know there are folks who both sight in for hunting season and shoot over chronographs while holding a rifle or handgun in their hands with their elbows on the bench, using no other support. I've seen it many times while helping out at our range with "sighting-in days" before hunting season. If you try to outfit them with a good rest so they can actually sight in correctly, they just can't get the hang of it. Sometimes you just have to shrug your shoulders and walk away.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    I hit a support rod, but I had already replaced the steel rods with wood dowels. A friend managed to put a .45 gas check in his, heeding his experience, I bought some Lexan at Home Depot and heat shaped a shield, shortly there after, a .22 gas check hit it and almost wenr through, so I added 2 more layers on the face, for .295" of Lexan, it has stopped a .45 gas check that penetrated 2 layers but not the third.
    However, I am sure someday I shall score a bullet in the 10 ring!
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.