Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    If your 100 gr volume only weighs 86 gr , then that is pretty dense homemade powder.
    Especially if it was screened powder not corned powder.
    Yesterday I made some TP charcoal.
    I agree that the volume of the charcoal is very light.
    I did 4 rolls of toilet paper.
    It produced 4.2 oz of air fly charcoal.
    But the volume of it is way greater than charcoal that I made from other woods.
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-29-2024 at 08:37 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I just ground up and screened my first batch of TP powder. You guys weren't kidding when you said it was light! 100 grains in my volume measure only weighs 86 grains. It sure does flash fast, I'm hoping to get to shoot some this weekend.
    My corned TP velocity has actually been normally a bit faster than my Goex per same weight. I think the corned TP has been running right around 98% density compared to the same volume of Goex.

Since I normally shoot C&B revolvers the most, I certainly welcome the extra strength of the TP compared to even my best Sassafras. I have been able to drop a grain in charge for my pet load in my test revolver. Plus it is so darned easy to cook up and prepare. After cooking, I just toss the charred rolls into my mill and in 30 minutes or less, it is air float. It is very fine and fluffy with no debarking, cutting up, or grinding needed. Plus, no screening needed either. It's ready to go.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 03-01-2024 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Reweighed and recaluculated density.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Exactly what I experienced. Two rolls fit in a gallon paint can and by using Jake's 77-13-10 mix produced right at 500 grams of powder. I did have to mill the charcoal in two batches because the whole two rolls wouldn't fit in my jar. But within 10 minutes it was fine airfloat and fit fine. I was just surprised at how light the powder is, since I can usually hit around 95% density.

And a warning - I managed to break my second press plate pressing these pucks. Those Harbor Freight press plates are cast, and not really up to this task. I am going to cut some real steel ones at work to replace them. It was pretty dramatic to be pulling on the handle with all my weight when suddenly there wasn't anything there to push against.

Boolit Master
    This latest. Batch of TP charcoal was done with 4 normal sized rolls stuffed into a gallon can.
    I had cut out the cardboard roller with scissors.
    I put the gallon can in my closed barbecue on that side is Propane only.
    I cooked it till the smoke started slowing down.
    But the smoke did start and stop often as it was cooking, probably because that gallon can was stuffed so full.
    But occasionally check the TP to make sure you aren’t totally turning it into Ash.

Boolit Master

I just edited my above post about the density of my recent TP charred Black Powder. I just now re-weighed both my older Sassafras as well as my recent TP powders and the Sassafras is more like 94%, but the TP is much closer to Goex at around 98%.

No wonder I have been able to decrease by one grain my most accurate load with my Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal. in order to retain the best accuracy. I guess the TP is right there side-beside Goex in density, but the TP actually gives more velocity for the same weight/volume. I think I like it. Have not seen anything negative about it yet, except that it is just plain too easy to make.

Now, I just can not stop there and call it quits. Now I am tempted to play with the formula just a bit. Maybe my next batch will be 76-15-9. Certainly has no problem igniting, so a smidgen less sulfur should not be a problem.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 03-01-2024 at 07:12 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    And a warning - I managed to break my second press plate pressing these pucks. Those Harbor Freight press plates are cast, and not really up to this task. I am going to cut some real steel ones at work to replace them. It was pretty dramatic to be pulling on the handle with all my weight when suddenly there wasn't anything there to push against.
    I don't think those Harbor Freight presses are capable of steady use. I was using a 12 Ton jack with my Harbor Freight press and it was buckling the lower cross beam that holds those press plates. I replaced them with some heavier rectangular steel tubing.

I have since gone to a 20 ton jack since my 12 ton gave out, and so far everything is holding up. It is groaning a wee bit when at top pressure, but not bending.

I have a 1/4" steel plate placed on top of those cast press plates, so I am not having any trouble with those.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 03-01-2024 at 07:27 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick

Boolit Buddy
    HamGunner, of the woods that I have compared to Goex (Hybrid Willow, Spruce, Quakie, and Juniper) they have all performed more energetic than Goex when compared weight to weight. However I've only been able to get about 92-93% density when compared to weight to volume. I have been filling an adjustable powder measure to the 100 grain mark and weighing it. Goex will be pretty much 100 grains where my powder is weighing in at around 92 grains. One thing I discovered as a side note is that all powder measures are not created equal. I have several and some of them will measure out powder a little on the strong side. I now use the same measure for all my comparisons.
    As for the 9% sulfur, I have been using 90% garden sulfur at 10% of my powder ratio and it has been doing well. You should have no problem lighting off your 76-15-9 powder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper-Jack View Post
    One thing I discovered as a side note is that all powder measures are not created equal. I have several and some of them will measure out powder a little on the strong side. I now use the same measure for all my comparisons.
    I also have found this to be true, but I do not have anything as large as 100gr. capacity. I suppose I need to compare my powders with a larger volume measure in order to lessen the inaccuracies in my weights. But, nonetheless, I am happy with my better woods performance and certainly overjoyed with the TP.

I used to dread starting a new batch of Black because it would take me days to get all the steps and procedures down before I could finally sit down and grind up and screen it to get the finished product. Now, I have shortened so many of my steps as I have learned new ways, mostly from taking advice from others here on this thread. We all have come up with better ideas, so what we have shared has really made this previous Chore an actual enjoyable endeavor. Certainly the use of TP charcoal has lessened the nastiness and work load a whole bunch more.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 03-01-2024 at 09:22 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick

Boolit Master
    Ok, I got my Chrono working. So I went and tested some powder. I used my Ruger Old Army.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROA Rarget.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	324084

I started with a 6 o'clock hold and raised my aim point a few times until I was aiming dead center. I only shot a few shots of each load so I would not be at the range all day so understand the data is not precise just ballpark. All charges are by volume with a measure that I checked and set at 40 gr. it delivers a 40 gr charge of Goex 3f. I was not testing for accuracy but was focused on getting velocity data.

I shot round balls and semi-wadcutters.

Name:	Semiwadutter.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	324085

Old Goex 3f with round ball 35 gr 900 fps, 40 gr 1030 fps, 45 gr 1195 fps
    New Goex 3f with round ball 40 gr. 1090 fps
    New Goex 3f with 230 gr semi-wadcutter 35 gr. 895 fps
    Old Goex 2f with round ball 40 gr 960 fps
    My Balsa BP with round ball 40 gr 615 fps, 50 gr 950 fps
    My Cedar BP with round ball 40 gr 690 fps, 50 gr 917 fps

My black power is pucked but in a vice so I don't get really high density and it will compress way more than the Goex. 45 gr is all the Goex that will fit under a round ball in my ROA. 50 gr is the chambers filled flush to the top, not really precise. I could maybe squeeze more my powder into the chambers since it compresses a lot but I did not bother to try.

just an aside, I went into my cap stash and look what I found!

Name:	caps.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	324086

bought a Walmart in 2019

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HamGunner View Post
    I don't think those Harbor Freight presses are capable of steady use. I was using a 12 Ton jack with my Harbor Freight press and it was buckling the lower cross beam that holds those press plates. I replaced them with some heavier rectangular steel tubing. I have since gone to a 20 ton jack since my 12 ton gave out, and so far everything is holding up. It is groaning a wee bit when at top pressure, but not bending.
    I have a 1/4" steel plate placed on top of those cast press plates, so I am not having any trouble with those.
    I got a 6 ton jack & press from Amazon for about $90. Discovered 6T is not enough for a Woodys die, but does okay with a 40mm 'DabPress" die. After four years of heavy use the Chinese jack started leaking oil and the fill port is actually painted over like they don't want you to fix it. So I won't, I got a 10 ton press from Amazon for less than $30. I figure thats about all this stand can take.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Bub
    2TM101; I’ve been using a 20 ton harbor freight press with the 30 mm dab press and belled the mouth so I got a 40 mm press to replace it. The stainless steel units can be over powered and become useless, I cut off the bell and still pressed till I got the 40. I do not put as much to this one as the other. Still getting the same density so I saw no advantage to pushing it as hard, just can't go the woody route yet and I don’t know if it will take the pressure being aluminum and as thin walled as it looks.

Boolit Master

I have a 3" Woody's die and the die itself is very sturdy stainless steel. I now use a 20 ton jack and it works well. I had to beef up the Harbor Freight press stand a bit as even when I was still using a 12 ton jack before it went South, it was more than the stock press stand wanted on a regular basis.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick

Boolit Bub
    HamGunner; is your frame a 12 or 20 ton? I have a 20 ton and have not broken a plate as LAGS did nor bent the lower rails. I began by pumping till no go let sit 1 minute then try to get 1 or 2 more or ever I can get, let soak for another minute then remove. Density is probably 95 to 98% of factory, but this belled my ss dab press! I laid into it to much, I’m 6’2” and 248 lbs so it didn’t take alot of effort to put to much onto the die so I backed off a bit.
    Graysmoke

Boolit Master
    My HF 20 ton press has done great.
    It wasn’t mine that broke the plate or bent the frame.
    That press was bought at a great price and is well worth it.
    I use the two factory steel plates sitting on the cross bars with a piece of flat 1/2” steel plate on top of them, only to cover the holes in the factory plates .
    My max density has only been 92%
    Most of my stuff only reaches 86% density.
    I just don’t see being able to consistently get density up in the 98% range or higher.
    Too me
    Trying to raise that density all the way to match factory powder is just not worth the ticky tack effort.
    Last edited by LAGS; 03-04-2024 at 01:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking I could weld up a much smaller frame to press pucks. Thinking about it and getting it done are two different things, I was also thinking I would rig something to run off my air compressor. My buddy has a press that works that way and we have a bend testing machine at work that way as well. It does not seem like it would be hard or expensive.

Of course, harbor freight is not a mile away, I could just go get something from them.
    TEK

Boolit Bub
    Don’t I feel like a fool! Misread my notes, 95-98% was my target actual is 85-87% of factory. But still shoots good! Just have to add ant 10 grs. or so by volume to be where I want to be.
    Graysmoke

Boolit Master
    The thing is, the beauty of muzzleloaders is you reload with whatever charge makes you happy. I used to think that I should shoot my 50's like they were magnums with 100 gr. or more of 3f Goex. I know better now. I mean, I could put 120 gr. of my homemade BP in one but why? 70 gr. is certainly enough most of the time. Even in the ROA density is not that important, it has plenty of boiler room. If I can get 900 fps with a round ball that is more than good enough.
    Tim

Yeah, I was the one who broke the press plates. I should have known better and put a steel plate over them like LAGS. I am using a 20 ton HF press and a 2.5 inch die I made from hydraulic tubing.

I have also been thinking about adding power to this press. I have a power steering pump from my Honda car, and several electric motors. I'd need to buy a valve and buy or build a tank, and round up a cylinder but all together it wouldn't be too tough to build. I'm not sure it would gain me anything though, other than less pumping the handle and the ability to set a particular pressure target.

I did get to shoot some TP powder this weekend, it makes the 38 special quite lively! It also worked well in the rifled musket. This first batch didn't last very long, guess I need to be going into production with it.

Oh, tumbling media - 40 S&W cartridge cases with the bullets inserted backward and crimped with a tool I made on the lathe. It's time to replace the lead balls, and this seems like it should work. Thanks to whomever suggested it!

Boolit Buddy
    Better than a stronger press is a smaller diameter mold and pressing a smaller quantity at a time. I use a 10 ton press and get a higher density than the Goex.

Boolit Bub
    I have 9mm brass I want to fill with molten lead to switch out lead balls. I have listened about lead in the powder, so that’s the next change.
    I press 1 teaspoonful in the 40 mm dabpress and the pucks click if tapped together( even louder when dried ) so good to go!
    Graysmoke