MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obturation on cast boolits. Trapdoor 45-70

Boolit Master

TheFlynn01 I like a flat point mostly because I hunt with my guns and it has a bit more impact on things. A hollow point is my second choice in cast bullets .

The very small dent that Lee calls a hollow base does not seem it would expand to me, as there is just to much metal around it . I bought the mold for the .459" diameter and was very happy it cast at .461" . I did powder coat some of those bullets and size them at .457" for my Marlin loaded over IMR-4198 at 1900 f/s they shoot under 2" at 100 yards . For that Marlin rifle I ended up going with the Lee 340 grain also powder coated I load them faster then I need here in Michigan but that is why I reload and the load is plenty safe in the gun.

P.S. I first noticed with my 50-3 1/4" sharps that a .509" bullet shoot fine with no leading in the .510" groove diameter barrel this is a 450 grain 50/70 bullet . My Marlin groove depth is .4575" and I had a very old .457" push though sizer on hand from a estate sale I used from the start with great results even at high speeds.
    Last edited by firefly1957; 08-04-2023 at 06:45 AM. Reason: P.S.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    TheFlynn01 I like a flat point mostly because I hunt with my guns and it has a bit more impact on things. A hollow point is my second choice in cast bullets .

The very small dent that Lee calls a hollow base does not seem it would expand to me, as there is just to much metal around it . I bought the mold for the .459" diameter and was very happy it cast at .461" . I did powder coat some of those bullets and size them at .457" for my Marlin loaded over IMR-4198 at 1900 f/s they shoot under 2" at 100 yards . For that Marlin rifle I ended up going with the Lee 340 grain also powder coated I load them faster then I need here in Michigan but that is why I reload and the load is plenty safe in the gun.

P.S. I first noticed with my 50-3 1/4" sharps that a .509" bullet shoot fine with no leading in the .510" groove diameter barrel this is a 450 grain 50/70 bullet . My Marlin groove depth is .4575" and I had a very old .457" push though sizer on hand from a estate sale I used from the start with great results even at high speeds.

hmmm makes some sense to me. It would be neat to consider hunting as it is something on my bucket list.

I worked up some rounds just to see how things shoot. I am not sure if the results are from Me, the rifle, or my build up.

I shot 10 of each. one set up at 100 yards, the other set at 50.

10 were made up with 500 grain 20-1 over 25 grains of 5744

the other 10 were 405 grain hard cast also over 25 grains of 5744.

The target looks pretty sad, I think it could be me more than anything so I am open to proper shooting advice... but normally my groups are not this big with my 30-30 haha!

You will see there are plenty that didnt make it up onto the target at all! prolly me using the sights wrong as they shoot real high... but open to discussion!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	target.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	316631

P.S. More info for those who might wanna know, I am using the buffington sight peep at the lowest setting. Its my first peep sight, my other rifles being a 94 30-30 and an Enfield no 3.

The double target was something i read about either in Spence's book or online. To aim for the lower one to compensate for the sights! Now, feel free to tease haha
    Last edited by TheFlynn01; 08-04-2023 at 11:58 AM. Reason: P.S.

Boolit Master

Your left and right group looks a lot better then up& down Generally this would not be from a peep sight more of a open sight issue . It is quite possible it is the load I have never used 5744 I have seen others that did very good with it . As I said I used FG Black Powder and OLD Hercules Reloader 7 both loads should be at about 1150 f/s (Lee .459 HB mold) from my shortened barrel but I have never run either over the Chrony.

Does the gun hurt you after a few shots? That can cause such a group ... I did find this link with a internet search about the sight :
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...fington-sights

Shortly after I got my 1884 I saw a Buffington carbine sight somewhere and ordered it I never added it because it was to fine to see . A tang sight is a better option if you want accuracy because the sight is closer to the eye.

Your bullets look like that are hitting nice and straight if you can try another powder , good powders are still hard to find in many areas . I have a 4 pound keg of SR 4759 I bought years ago I generally use in the large cases I am not sure why I had not used it in model 1884 . I use it in my 50-3 1/4 " Sharps under the 450 grain 50/70 bullet and get 2" 100 yard groups at 1725 f/s . That load is from a Lyman book
    Last edited by firefly1957; 08-05-2023 at 07:16 AM. Reason: wrong powder listed!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

Try using a Dacron filler [3/4 - 1 gr] over that load of 5744.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Your left and right group looks a lot better then up& down Generally this would not be from a peep sight more of a open sight issue . It is quite possible it is the load I have never used 5744 I have seen others that did very good with it . As I said I used FG Black Powder and OLD Hercules Reloader 7 both loads should be at about 1150 f/s (Lee .459 HB mold) from my shortened barrel but I have never run either over the Chrony.

Does the gun hurt you after a few shots? That can cause such a group ... I did find this link with a internet search about the sight :
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...fington-sights

Shortly after I got my 1884 I saw a Buffington carbine sight somewhere and ordered it I never added it because it was to fine to see . A tang sight is a better option if you want accuracy because the sight is closer to the eye.

Your bullets look like that are hitting nice and straight if you can try another powder , good powders are still hard to find in many areas . I have a 4 pound keg of SR 4759 I bought years ago I generally use in the large cases I am not sure why I had not used it in model 1884 . I use it in my 50-3 1/4 " Sharps under the 450 grain 50/70 bullet and get 2" 100 yard groups at 1725 f/s . That load is from a Lyman book
    Well the only other powder I own is 4198. So I could try that. I am just hoping to get a closer grouping if I can. At this point I feel like its a bit of a shotgun spread. Wanna work it into at least Minute of Deer haha

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Try using a Dacron filler [3/4 - 1 gr] over that load of 5744.
    I saw you mentioned using Dacron in your thread, been reading that over a lot. So i have ordered some and I will do that!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlynn01 View Post
    Well the only other powder I own is 4198. So I could try that. I am just hoping to get a closer grouping if I can. At this point I feel like its a bit of a shotgun spread. Wanna work it into at least Minute of Deer haha

I saw you mentioned using Dacron in your thread, been reading that over a lot. So i have ordered some and I will do that!
    I don’t shoot smokeless in my 1873 trapdoor much but when I have I use 27 grains of H4198 under a powder coated 405Lee HB and every shot hits a 12 inch gong at a 100 yards.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I don’t shoot smokeless in my 1873 trapdoor much but when I have I use 27 grains of H4198 under a powder coated 405Lee HB and every shot hits a 12 inch gong at a 100 yards.
    That is pretty cool! I guess I need to learn what to expect from this rifle at 100 yards. What would be a good size target to practice with?

Boolit Master
    That is pretty cool! I guess I need to learn what to expect from this rifle at 100 yards. What would be a good size target to practice with?
    With my 65 year old eyes it’s getting harder and harder to see that little front sight. I have to aim at just below the bottom of the plate. I also cast the Lee 500 grain pointy one and it does about the same as the 405 HB but passed 200 yards it’s not so good. But then again it is probably me. It’s been in the family since before 1900 so I don’t abuse it much and mostly only shoot black powder in it.
    I picked H4198 as it has the lowest pressure of any of the smokeless powders I have but still only rarely use smokeless.
    I would use a steel plate 12 X 12 or a little bigger (or whatever size you want) as I like that better than paper as I get immediate feedback and can see where on the steel it’s hitting.
    Last edited by Carrier; 08-05-2023 at 07:00 PM.

Boolit Master

I have had good luck with IMR-4198 in lower loads I am a bit confused if H-4198 is currently the same . My can of IMR-4198 is steel and probably from the 1980's at one time I had all the Dupont powders on the shelf to see how they worked in my guns . Some of them I found very useful others were used in Niche loads in soft hell pistol or rifle . IMR - 4198 is just a tad slower then RE-7 if I remember correctly and there is plenty of data for your gun for it .
    Hodgdon only has 405 grain cast data: *
    Hodgdon H4198 OUT OF STOCK 0.458" 2.540" 27.0 1,251 14,200 CUP 31.0 1,459 17,100 CUP
    IMR IMR 4198 BUY NOW 0.458" 2.540" 30.0 1,370 17,000 CUP 32.0 1,462 19,000 CUP

Minute of deer is generally considered a 8" circle at what ever range you can keep your shots in that should be the maximum range to hunt deer at . Shot placement on deer is a issue also I like to hit the upper shoulder rather then the heart lower down the shock to the spine knocks them down right there with these big bullets . Of coarse a deer is a dynamic target in three dimensions so you may not get the classic broadside shot at all . For instance with the modern load I use in my Marlin I had a deer come out facing away from me at 90 yards. There is no way I wanted to damage so much meat as a raking shot would cause . As I held the scope on the deer it turned giving me a neck shot and I took it ,even though I have never trusted a neck shot. The 354 grain soft cast powder coated bullet averaging 2168 f/s (lever action load not trapdoor) dropped the deer right there. On butchering the deer I found the bullet made a larger entrance then exit and passed cleanly between the windpipe and spine it was only the hydraulic shock that separated the vertebrae causing a sudden death .
    I followed the bullet path after the deer though two small trees then lost it I would like to have recovered the bullet.

*If you have a Lyman or Lee book check them I have them if you want me to look . They have separate but similar data for H or IMR 4198 on what I pasted from Hodgdon.

Boolit Buddy
    Flynn if your trapdoor is unmodified and hitting about a foot high at 100 yards is normal. This was the battle zero and enabled the soldier to be minute of man out to a bit over 200 yards at the lowest setting. Many have replaced the front blade with a taller one to be able to zero at 100.

Boolit Bub
    I have had good luck with IMR-4198 in lower loads I am a bit confused if H-4198 is currently the same . My can of IMR-4198 is steel and probably from the 1980's at one time I had all the Dupont powders on the shelf to see how they worked in my guns . Some of them I found very useful others were used in Niche loads in soft hell pistol or rifle . IMR - 4198 is just a tad slower then RE-7 if I remember correctly and there is plenty of data for your gun for it .
    Hodgdon only has 405 grain cast data: *
    Hodgdon H4198 OUT OF STOCK 0.458" 2.540" 27.0 1,251 14,200 CUP 31.0 1,459 17,100 CUP
    IMR IMR 4198 BUY NOW 0.458" 2.540" 30.0 1,370 17,000 CUP 32.0 1,462 19,000 CUP

Minute of deer is generally considered a 8" circle at what ever range you can keep your shots in that should be the maximum range to hunt deer at . Shot placement on deer is a issue also I like to hit the upper shoulder rather then the heart lower down the shock to the spine knocks them down right there with these big bullets . Of coarse a deer is a dynamic target in three dimensions so you may not get the classic broadside shot at all . For instance with the modern load I use in my Marlin I had a deer come out facing away from me at 90 yards. There is no way I wanted to damage so much meat as a raking shot would cause . As I held the scope on the deer it turned giving me a neck shot and I took it ,even though I have never trusted a neck shot. The 354 grain soft cast powder coated bullet averaging 2168 f/s (lever action load not trapdoor) dropped the deer right there. On butchering the deer I found the bullet made a larger entrance then exit and passed cleanly between the windpipe and spine it was only the hydraulic shock that separated the vertebrae causing a sudden death .
    I followed the bullet path after the deer though two small trees then lost it I would like to have recovered the bullet.

*If you have a Lyman or Lee book check them I have them if you want me to look . They have separate but similar data for H or IMR 4198 on what I pasted from Hodgdon.
    interesting, I wonder how different the H to IMR 4198 is. 8 inches is a good target size, so I will hope to get a decent group with that. At least at 100 yards. It will give me something to go on. I have hard folks talk about the surprising accuracy with these rifles, so I hope I can get a fraction of that. I want to at least get to the point where I know it is ME and not the boolit or the rifle.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    Flynn if your trapdoor is unmodified and hitting about a foot high at 100 yards is normal. This was the battle zero and enabled the soldier to be minute of man out to a bit over 200 yards at the lowest setting. Many have replaced the front blade with a taller one to be able to zero at 100.
    It is unmodified as far as I can tell! Seems to be in standard spec. So I will need to learn where to hold to get it where I want it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It is unmodified as far as I can tell! Seems to be in standard spec. So I will need to learn where to hold to get it where I want it.
    If you put on a taller front sight blade, and zero at 100 yards, you will find it answers to the sight setting well out to long range.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!