Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Why Curved Windshields on Heavy Equipment?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Why Curved Windshields on Heavy Equipment?

Another way the consumer gets screwed.

https://youtube.com/shorts/UIuKZBpQjmM?feature=share

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Another way the consumer gets screwed.

https://youtube.com/shorts/UIuKZBpQjmM?feature=share
    Ignorance abounds! The curved glass allows better airflow around and over the glass helping to keep it clean of air born dust/dirt, and that is for better visibility! Even the slightest breeze will more easily flow past carrying debris with it instead of dead heading against a flat windshield depositing/dropping stuff/debris there on the flat glass. It is also very common for manufactures' to line the exhaust stack up with a corner post or center windshield post/divider so as to not block visibility. Many things are so self evident that very little common sense is needed/required to understand their purpose.

Yes it would also be far less expensive for the manufacture to use flat glass and put the exhaust stack in the most convenient location.

Why is you automobiles windshield and side windows not flat glass. Oh yes to have smother airflow to help keep them freer of road dirt.

Happy Easter,

Ken
    Last edited by Screwbolts; 04-09-2023 at 10:27 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    Well shoot, I would have thought the curved glass would be stronger than the flat glass in the event some foreign object was projected at the operator. I guess an equipment operator might have more real world observations to sort that out.

Boolit Mold
    Well to be honest, flat glass is a pain in the booty to make and meet federal regulations for optics and break. Curved glass is still a pain, but is still easier to mass produce and meet all the regulations. A curved laminated front glass, if not a fish bowl (over curved), is great for windshields. It helps retain people, while still fitting the visual aspects of the design. Also the stuff Screwbolts listed.

Chuck S.

Boolit Grand Master

Why I don't go to You Tube for information .

You only get a small part of info and then the U-tubexpert goes on to give you some skewed view of the situation . In most cases there is lots more to the story but he doesn't go there .
    In my mind that's deceiving ... show me both sides of a story .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I was guessing things like curved glass is done to make something more pleasing to the eye and manufacturers seem to have to change designs constantly so that older stuff is outdated and buyers have to keep upgrading to new models to keep up with the joneses.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Well you guys have convinced me of the merits of curved glass. I never knew all the pluses it could have for tractors and industrial vehicles. I learned something today. Thanks.

Flat glass also tends to chip and break easier. The more and more vertical it is, the worse the effect.
    Things that would just bounce off a curve hit the flat glass harder expending all their energy and are are prone to bust it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

like water dams - curved is a lot stronger from the out side

Vendor Sponsor

Much better visibility! The corner post and window frame creates a blind spot.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Another reason is that curved glass makes for a quieter cab. After spending a full day in a tractor cab, this becomes very important.

Denny

Boolit Master
    I had a guy with a 12 ton Cat excavator clearing some very light scrub......the machine had the forestry guards,and yet he was crying (literally) that he was going to scratch the small curved glass in front of his feet ..over $1000 fitted......I ws paying $120 /hr cash in hand ,but he went away for lunch and didnt come back ........it was Christmas time,I couldnt get anyone else ,and next thing I knew the city council slapped a vegetation preservation order on me .......cost me something like $300,000 when I sold the land.

Boolit Buddy
    He took his 12 ton excavator with him to lunch?