Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Are All The Primers?

Moderator Emeritus

Lots of primers for sale in my area.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Started looking around and saw that primers are $30~$40 a thousand. Wow!
    WOW....in the Netherlands IF there are availeble....big IF: 130 to 150 euro a 1000....
    Last batch i bought was for 31 euro a 1000...4 years ago
    Caster/reloader for 45 years.
    Many thanks to this forum to help me shoot lead in semi auto(223) and my 308 (dad) rifle!!!
    Find the puppy in my profile pic..(4 dogs)

Boolit Master

Stopped at a LGS yesterday. They had plenty of primers and that was no surprise; not with what they were charging! 80/1000 for cheapest shotgun and 90/1000 for cheapest rifle or pistol. $40/# for powder. I doubt much was being sold at those prices.

Boolit Bub
    I'm continually amazed that people are still crawling out of whatever cave they've been in, somehow ignorant to the economic events of the last few years, to bemoan how expensive reloading components are.
    Last edited by wyowillys46; 04-08-2023 at 05:30 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Don't go to Gun Broker, they will rape you with prices on primers.

Boolit Bub
    Brownell's claims they have primers at $96.00 per 1000-ouch

Boolit Buddy
    I've been seeing small rifle and small pistol filtering back into stores for around the past 6 months. Several months ago, one LGS, that was selling cards, let drop that they were selling bricks behind the counter. I picked up one brick, the first (brick) I've seen (in stores, besides 209s) in a couple of years. Most places are selling cards at $17 to $21 per card.

I wish I'd been there when powder existed at the prices some of you guys talk about. I watched for years before I got a chance to lay hands on some Unique. I see people saying $50 a pound is too expensive. The best stocked brick and mortar store I know of probably has 60 powders on the shelf, the most expensive is $75.

Boolit Buddy
    If shooters keep paying those prices, then the prices will remain high. It’s the market, not the politics.

Target Sports USA has small rifle and small pistol primers but prices are no better than anywhere else. I think they do free shipping if you hit a large enough order which should be easy with those prices.

Ugh.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master
    Primers are more available: but not very much more affordable. Right now, the cheapest I have seen primers going for is 80.00/1000 or .08 a primer. You can buy .22's for less. I have been conserving my primers, shooting about the same--5,000 rounds a year--but I shoot 3 to 4 times more rimfire than centerfire. For most of this century, it was the opposite, in fact for several years, I didn't fire any rimfire cartridges.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Where are all the primers? They are going into 9mm and 5.56 ammo. We won't see plentiful primers until the ammo makers clear up their enormous back-orders for loaded ammo. I see the price of bulk 9mm is steadily declining, so this is at least a hopeful sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    If shooters keep paying those prices, then the prices will remain high. It’s the market, not the politics.
    I respectfully disagree. Politics are driving the current shortage. Politics drove the previous shortage. Politics will drive the next shortage as well. The number of new first time firearm owners in the last few years is astounding. Politics are the main driver for that movement. Factory ammunition is what the masses and virtually all first time firearm owners shoot. As reloaders we are minority consumers. The primers we buy are mostly production overages for suppling the manufacture of military and factory ammunition.
    Willie

Boolit Master
    my gut instinct gif that is any indicator or not is that prices will not come down from what the big legit sellers like powder valley, Grafs, mid south and midway are charging.
    Jeff Bartlett had sm rifle primers last time I looked at $350/5000
    and a whole bunch of powders including varget is now just about $50/lb wherever you might actually find it available.
    also got a feeling it will be quite a few years to maybe never to see primers as clearance items like Grafs had unixgines primers several years ago for $120/5000 or Tula or seller beloit for similar prices like it was a dozen or so years ago.
    the past is history and retailers seldom if ever lower prices unless they are strapped for cash.

Boolit Master

Just a couple years ago, I was buying Cheddite 209 primers for 24/1000. The other day they were 80/1000. I find it hard to believe that the cost to make them more than tripled in two years.

Boolit Master

Lead shot at $70 is what ‘s killing me.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Just a couple years ago, I was buying Cheddite 209 primers for 24/1000. The other day they were 80/1000. I find it hard to believe that the cost to make them more than tripled in two years.
    Broaden your view a bit. The dollar is buying about 1/2 of what it did just a few years ago.

I haven't seen anything but small pistol or small rifle for months, unless it's Outdoor Limited charging $140/1000. Shooting bot shows no one has any, but them. I've worked with some people seeking fair prices on GB, but only for bullets. Brass or primers, won't work with those sellers capitalizing on a bad market and hammering reloaders.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

As a side note, if anyone is in NE Oklahoma and needs 209s, or LP Primers, I have a brick 209s I'd swap you.... I need SR Primers, as I'm currently down to my last two sleeves. The local shops are still out, and I'm not going to pay $100 + $50 shipping/hazmat for them...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    Broaden your view a bit. The dollar is buying about 1/2 of what it did just a few years ago.
    I kind of disagree with that. The price of gasoline has not doubled. The price of houses has not doubled. The price of my favorite beverage has not doubled. The cost of my car insurance has not doubled. My property taxes have not doubled. I could replace my truck for only a little more than I paid for it 8 years ago but the price of primers and powder have more than doubled. Lead is unchanged, still a dollar a pound been that way for decades.

Certain things have gone up a lot but not everything. Mostly things that the supply chain thinks it can get away with.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I kind of disagree with that. The price of gasoline has not doubled. The price of houses has not doubled. The price of my favorite beverage has not doubled. The cost of my car insurance has not doubled. My property taxes have not doubled. I could replace my truck for only a little more than I paid for it 8 years ago but the price of primers and powder have more than doubled. Lead is unchanged, still a dollar a pound been that way for decades.

Certain things have gone up a lot but not everything. Mostly things that the supply chain thinks it can get away with.
    Tim
    Milk, eggs, loaf of bread, beef, land….

Boolit Master
    With all the new primer producers coming online in the next 12 months ,possibly to coincide with a recession.......its not the time to buy more than what you need.