RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seecamp Vs Kahr 380

Friend carried the small kahr .380 for a weekend, after that he ordered and stuck with the seacamp .380 ��*♂️

I like my Kimber Micro 380 real well ,mid price, well made and has eaten every thing I’ve fed it no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Why not get an ankle holster for the Hellcat? Or a bellyband?

I found my limits of small. Started with a Walther .25. Could not shoot it without cutting two grooves on the web of my hand. Then a little .32 auto (I think it was a Seecamp, not sure). Didn't cut me, but, could not grip it well enough. Then tried a derringer. Worked but hurt like heck and could not hit anything with it. Found I needed to be able to grip with at least two full fingers. The smallest semi-auto ended up being a PPK (which is about the same size as the Hellcat) or a 5 shot snubby (Taurus 85). A LEO friend introduced me to the 1903/1908 Colt. That was ideal for me. Light, narrow, all rounded surfaces, enough grip to actually hold onto it well. Easy to hide and carry. After getting new sights it was also very accurate.
    I'm a rather large fellow, big beer belly so the belly holsters don't conceal well on me. With my back issues I'm not very flexible to start with and the days I envision carrying this gun, I'm not getting to an ankle holster, at least not in time to do any good.
    Good suggestions though, thank you.
    I do occasionally carry a back pack or a "murse", but I'm very self conscious of this, it's not something I'm used to doing, it feels awkward, unwieldy, just really haven't found a routine with that type of carry that I like yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    .380's to me fall into the smaller than a J frame or 9mm pocketgun niche. If you are going to carry something that is as big as a 9mm, it might as well be a 9mm.

I tried a SIG P290 in .380, decent gun but it is also available in 9mm (should have gotten that), and it is as big in the pocket as a J frame. It is very reliable though.

Next was a Ruger LCPII. Decent, no malfunctions, terrible sights.

LCPMAX, decent, a bit heavy for what it is. Biggest plus is I can see the sights.

If I could get a regular LCPII with the sights of the MAX, I would be a happy camper.

If I am knowingly going into a situation where I may need to actually use my carry gun, I either don't go or carry something bigger than a .380.

Robert
    This is the problem I ran into in my search for something, finding something smaller than the Hellcat, that was actually really smaller than the Hellcat! The Sig 938?, the DB9, the LCP really isn't much smaller, just lighter, the P3AT is the same size as the LCP etc. it seemed.
    This isn't a "situational gun", this is a "better than a sharp stick gun". If I'm heading into a mall or other large group, I will carry the Hellcat, or have something else in a shoulder bag/back pack. The plan for this is an underwear gun, run to the liquor store/auto parts store, then straight back home. This isn't supposed to replace the Hellcat, just something that's easier on me during bad days.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Grand Master

I am 6' 4" and about 270. Tried numerous holsters and settled on the Alien Gear Shape shifter holster. I mostly use it as belt slider holster under a T-shirt or a loose shirt. In three years daily carry I don't believe I was ever spotted. I carry a Sig 365XL with a red dot.

https://aliengearholsters.com/shapes...er-system.html
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    Friend carried the small kahr .380 for a weekend, after that he ordered and stuck with the seacamp .380 ��*♂️
    Can you please elaborate on this? I'd like to know more of the reasoning for that choice.

shooting on a shoestring, you sir have had some bad luck! I had a period like that back in the early '90's, bought a Rossi .357, it was out of time and sprayed your face with lead. Had a Llama 1911 in 9mm, best shooting pistol I've ever owned, had a cop friend run the serial numbers and it was stolen, it went away and I was out my money. Had a bunch of the Jennings 22's, always loved those guns, until I owned them! I hope you find your prize.
    I may look into the Kimber, I'm not their biggest fan, had a lot of quality issues years ago so I've kinda sworn them off. I'm also not sure I want a 1911 style for this role, as it will take longer to draw, having to kick the safety is added time.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I am 6' 4" and about 270. Tried numerous holsters and settled on the Alien Gear Shape shifter holster. I mostly use it as belt slider holster under a T-shirt or a loose shirt. In three years daily carry I don't believe I was ever spotted. I carry a Sig 365XL with a red dot.

https://aliengearholsters.com/shapes...er-system.html
    I had a local leather maker create a copy of the Milt Sparks summer special for the Hellcat, it works wonderfully and after having him do some modifications I've worn it pretty much every day since. But it doesn't work with sweat pants, and the Hellcat is too heavy for sweat pants.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I had a local leather maker create a copy of the Milt Sparks summer special for the Hellcat, it works wonderfully and after having him do some modifications I've worn it pretty much every day since. But it doesn't work with sweat pants, and the Hellcat is too heavy for sweat pants.
    For those applications I use a fanny pack type holster. With sweatpants they look normal.

https://outdoorworld.reviews/best-fanny-pack-holsters/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I had a Kahr CM9 that I carried for about 5 years. I really liked the fact that I could carry it holstered in my front pocket. Mine was also quite accurate. I’d probably still be carrying it if Sig hadn’t come out with the P365. Currently that’s my main carry gun. I either carry in a belt slide or in an Alabama pocket holster. I shoot the Sig better than my Glock 19 house gun.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For those applications I use a fanny pack type holster. With sweatpants they look normal.

https://outdoorworld.reviews/best-fanny-pack-holsters/
    Can't argue that logic! Well played, I'll look into this.

Boolit Master
    I don’t have a large build (6’0 and 190lbs) so I have trouble with things visibly imprinting, especially in summer when jackets aren’t necessary. My daily wear consists of cheap black cargo pants from Walmart, which have deep hip pockets and velcro closure thigh pockets. You can carry and hide a lot of stuff in those big totes. My .38 snubbie disappears, and most any small .32 to 9mm single stack auto becomes invisible - but remains easy to reach. I never use a holster for concealed carry; just drop the piece into a pocket and go.

Boolit Grand Master
    It becomes a personal choice. I had a Seecamp and did not like it. I have a couple of Kahr CW’s as my “light” carry guns and carry the 9mm. If one gun was the best, everyone would carry it.

The-holster makes a big difference. So look at trying a few to see what works for you.

I like the Kahr because it seems like a real gun, I shoot it well and it is reliable.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

I am 72 years old and have been carrying a Seecamp in my front pants pocket for over 38 years and wouldn't part with it, with that beeing said I also concealed carry a Glock $# or a Sig P238.
    Life member NRA and Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    Big bore air rifle shooter

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It becomes a personal choice. I had a Seecamp and did not like it. I have a couple of Kahr CW’s as my “light” carry guns and carry the 9mm. If one gun was the best, everyone would carry it.

The-holster makes a big difference. So look at trying a few to see what works for you.

I like the Kahr because it seems like a real gun, I shoot it well and it is reliable.
    Thank you, could you please say why you didn't like the Seecamp and why you like the Kahr better?
    I'm liking the Kahr for the reason you stated, it seems more like a "real gun". But small is king in this situation as well.

As usual, this has spun out of control!
    I'll expand more;
    12ish years ago I broke my back, blew out the disc at L4/L5 and a 20% compression fracture at T12, the double whammy if you will. Weather is my big trigger, winter more so. If a big front is coming in, it's not uncommon for me not to sleep for 2-3 days. I have days I can build a house, I have days I crawl out of bed, crawl to the toilet, then crawl back to bed, literally can't walk. Summer isn't as bad, but I still have days it's hard for me to even get dressed. Thus sweat pants come into play.
    I have plenty of options and holsters for carry, I can easily carry my Colt Delta Elite IWB. I have most of the Springfield XD line up, 4", 3" SC, 5" tactical XD, and the means to carry them all as needed. But as my health has declined, I've come to appreciate having smaller and lighter options. This gun is a supplement, not a replacement to anything.
    If I'm having a "I can barely walk, no way I can drive, but someone needs me to run to the store with them" day. I "try" to do a lot of mechanical/electrical work on cars and equipment. I'm not that great at it now with my issues, but if I have someone with decent competency, I have the tools, and knowledge, to talk them through it, but dealing with counter guys at autoparts stores, well.... So often I need to have someone drive me there to get the correct parts to finish the job.
    It's messed up, I get it, but it's so much better than just sitting around and going crazier! And yes, it's a good time when you hurt so much, or are so sleep deprived, you can't see straight enough to trust yourself to drive, but it's becoming more frequent.
    So, with all that said, I have better options, I have options I like better! But I'm just after something small and light that I can throw in a pocket and go. This isn't a choice I ever want to use, other than some range time, this isn't a primary gun, at least not for a few years I hope. This is a complete last ditch and as I said "better than a sharp stick" option.
    Hopefully this clears some things up.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ever consider a Kel-Tec P32? 7+1 and even smaller than an LCP. Load with Fiocchi 73 grain ball for an actual 900 fps on my chronograph.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Speaking to the reason why I prefer the CM380 to the Seecamp 380. First, the Seecamp uses its mainspring to supplement the function of the recoil spring, which makes for a very stout trigger pull. The trigger weight, combined with the very light weight of the gun, makes the pistol hard to control. The Seecamp also is kind of slippery, which combined with its very small size, makes it shift around in my hand when fired. Finally, it has no sights. If you have to use it at any distance greater than long knife range, you better be lucky, if you hope to hit anything.

The Kahr is slightly larger, has a better trigger and has sights. You can use it out to fifteen yards and be confident of the results. The polymer frame has molded checkering that gives a firmer grip, which combined with the somewhat greater size, gives more control. Neither is particularly easy to rack the slide on, and either is likely to be a bit picky about ammo choices. And they weigh almost exactly the same. The Kahr runs about 280 dollars less than the Seecamp.
    Unless you really need an ultra-compact pistol to hide in your jockstrap, I'd go with the Kahr.

Truth in advertising laws, though, compel me to state that I carry an LCP for the purpose of very light weight concealment.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 04-09-2023 at 09:20 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Ever consider a Kel-Tec P32? 7+1 and even smaller than an LCP. Load with Fiocchi 73 grain ball for an actual 900 fps on my chronograph.
    Honestly seriously looked at that option, problem was it's the same size as the .380 version, same size as the LCP etc., just not small enough to justify vs carrying the Hellcat.
    I revisited the Berretta 3032 Tomcat last night and went on a mission to find ammo, the very little I did find was astronomically priced! There are three boxes of Winchester silvertips on Gunbroker for $175!! I about fell out of my chair! The other ammo I could find wasn't much better. So the .32acp has moved off the table for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Speaking to the reason why I prefer the CM380 to the Seecamp 380. First, the Seecamp uses its mainspring to supplement the function of the recoil spring, which makes for a very stout trigger pull. The trigger weight, combined with the very light weight of the gun, makes the pistol hard to control. The Seecamp also is kind of slippery, which combined with its very small size, makes it shift around in my hand when fired. Finally, it has no sights. If you have to use it at any distance greater than long knife range, you better be lucky, if you hope to hit anything.

The Kahr is slightly larger, has a better trigger and has sights. You can use it out to fifteen yards and be confident of the results. The polymer frame has molded checkering that gives a firmer grip, which combined with the somewhat greater size, gives more control. Neither is particularly easy to rack the slide on, and either is likely to be a bit picky about ammo choices. And they weigh almost exactly the same. The Kahr runs about 280 dollars less than the Seecamp.
    Unless you really need an ultra-compact pistol to hide in your jockstrap, I'd go with the Kahr.

Truth in advertising laws, though, compel me to stare that I carry an LCP for the purpose of very light weight concealment.
    Thank you so much for that! Again, the LCP just isn't enough of a size difference, weight, yes, but not size. The Kahr is just a little longer, less than 1/2", than the Seecamp, but identical in most other dimensions. It also looks, and feels, like a real gun, not a Jennings types or the silly Tangfolio 25acp I have, but don't trust to use. But is still considerably smaller than the Hellcat. I also am not sure about the magazine disconnect on the Seecamp, I read enough about it years ago to understand why it's there, but honestly if you are loosing your gun, I don't think you'll have the ability to get the mag out to engage it anyway!
    I remember reading in awe about the Seecamp in gun magazines for years and always wanted one, but I also have to remember the adage "Don't meet your hero's, they'll only disappoint you with your higher expectations." I'm thinking the Seecamp may very well fit into that.
    As it stands, I'm actively looking for a Kahr, we needed some dirt work done and the contractor kept falling through so I just did it myself, saved us around $1k in labor, so mama's happy and with that windfall, I get to go shopping! But I still can't justify double the price for the Seecamp, it's me, I'm stingy on some things. If it was a full size gun in a real caliber, sure, but with LCP's literally a dime a dozen it just doesn't make sense to me. Certainly not for the minor size difference between the two.

Again, thank you all for the input, hopefully in a week or two I can report back and see how much I love or hate the bad choices I've made!

sawinredneck,

Given your criteria, I discovered what works for me 6 years ago. Sweat pants, shorts with an elastic band, etc. The only thing I found that works perfectly for me (don't laugh people) is a Thunderwear style holster. I use to laugh about them, until I found one on the cheap and thought I'd give it a try. I ordered a 2nd one shortly after getting the first one and carrying my Kahr CW9 in it. I'm retired now, never have liked summer heat. Shorts and sweats are often my daily wear. Several years ago, we had a bad spat of home invasions in my area. The time of day didn't seem to matter to the gang doing it either. Good thing they finally got that crew rounded up. But still, ya' never know when trouble is going to show up.

I decided I would jump on the 380 Auto band wagon several years back. After looking and much thought, I went with the Kahr 380. I haven't regretted it one bit. My CW380 has shot smooth & accurate since day one. And that was with my round nose handloads. Flat pointed bullets don't like to play well with Kahr's. The feed ramp is actually offset if you'll look at one. I have nothing bad to say about the small Kahr's, mine have worked fine. And, given the way the Thunderwear holster works, you may find you can carry more than a 380 Auto if you wish. There's an old saying about having to dress around the gun you carry. On a final note about the Thunderwear holster, there are several versions of it out there from different makers. Good luck on your search.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I own two Kel-Tec P32's and my best friend has a Kahr. I've never measured the two but I do recall the Kahr is definitely fatter, as is the LCP that I have.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.