Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: New to me bullet puller!

Boolit Master

New to me bullet puller!

Boy did I pick up a new tool The other day. I had a bunch of 38 specials to Pull ( long story don’t ask). Buddy told me to check out the Hornady camlock bullet puller. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube looked interesting so I figured I’d try it out. Now I’ve used a few different pullers, including fosters, herters, Frankford arsenal inertia puller, and a few others. They all work but we’re a little time consuming and honestly I’ve never quite gotten a bullet pulled without leaving marks on it. Well let me tell ya This Hornaday puller is the cats meow! Once you get it set up it’s just a matter of lifting a lever, the pulled bullet drops out, you put another cartridge in the shell holder and do it all over again. It’s quick, easy to use, and every bullet I pulled had no sign of being a pulled bullet no marks whatsoever. I must say I’ve never been overly thrilled with Hornady equipment. I guess it’s the old Ford versus Chevy thing. But They sure nailed it with this bullet puller!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    My bullet puller is a spark plug wrench socket. Put the cartridge in a shell holder, then slide the thing into the socket, and slam is down on a paper bowl on a concrete floor. The shell holder keeps the cartridge from sliding into the wrench socket, and the bullet and powder are in the bowl. Works every time.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I haven’t tried that one, but whenever I pulled boolits I didn’t usually count on reusing them.

Boolit Master

On one hand, cast boolits - pull 'em, drop 'em in the pot, flux & stir, pour 'em in a mold, and they're new again. Voila!

On the other hand, jacketed bullets - before casting, I recaptured and bought, reloaded, and shot 1,000's of pulled jacketed handgun and rifle bullets, as blamo-ammo (mostly), over a limited range from 7 to 25 yards (handgun) and 100 to 200 yards, from hand held, semi-autos while target plinking (mostly), including "scratching the itch" over a rock steady bench rest, some bullets with "considerable defect" to copper jacket ogive (think wire crimper diagonal grooves) and HAVE HAD FUN while experiencing no noticeable effect in trajectory...ymmv.

I would have no hesitation reloading pulled jacketed bullets for personal defense ammo in a belly gun or "close aboard" and plinking with rifles. I am in competition with no one, and I neither shoot pulled rifle bullets at game nor compare them to the serious application of Factory Seconds or New Factory jacketed bullet reloads.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I’ve pulled and reused many many copper plated and Hitec treated bullets in handguns using my Hornady cam lock with no ill effects. Same with jacketed rifle bullets. The trick is just set it up with enough tension to pull them without squeezing them to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    My bullet puller is a spark plug wrench socket. Put the cartridge in a shell holder, then slide the thing into the socket, and slam is down on a paper bowl on a concrete floor. The shell holder keeps the cartridge from sliding into the wrench socket, and the bullet and powder are in the bowl. Works every time.
    ingenuity first, and really a brilliant thought...
    I wish someone had taught me this in my beginning days !
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

How does your new puller work on cast bullets? When I tried one similar tp yours It wouldn't grip the bullet tight enough to consistently pull most...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    How does your new puller work on cast bullets? When I tried one similar tp yours It wouldn't grip the bullet tight enough to consistently pull most...
    I’ve never use the bullet puller on Cast Boolets I pull them with a pair a diagonal cutters and just re-melt them
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    One advantage of a taper crimp, is that boolits are a lot easier to pull.

Boolit Master

I just got one of the Hornady cam locks in the S&S section here. Used it yesterday to pull down about a hundred .300 Blackout out subs I had with a bullet that did not feed reliably. I have a better profile mold now so thought I would put the primers and powder to better use with them. The puller was very easy to use and much quicker than an inertia puller. It was also very easy to set up. I will still use the inertia one for doing just a few, but if I have very many the cam lock will get the job.

Boolit Master

The camlock is a great puller.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle