Load DataWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: A can of blast from the past

Boolit Master

A can of blast from the past

I purchased this can of Goex black powder in early 1979. While I hunt almost every year with one, I don't shoot muzzle loaders very much except to sight one in before our ML deer season and I use black powder substitutes, not holy black. Anyway, the can still contains about 1/4 pound. Note what I paid for it 43 years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1979 BP can.jpg  
    Maineboy

Boolit Master

I have some cans like that from about that time. I don't recall what the price was.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I have several pounds of 2, 3, 4F that I bought when I was a member of a ML club. I remember club price was $5 a pound. I haven't shot black powder in years but if I ever want to I can!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have several that I purchased around 1963 or 1964 - sriii have the price of 75 cents written on the top in grease pencil. Don't ask me why, but every time I would buy powder, those cans never got moved to the front of the shelf. If I never use it, it will still be good for somebody down the road.

I still have a 1 pound can of 2F "Old Elephant" that a dealer gave me to try when I was down to the N-SSA Nationals - I think early 80s? That one I set back +just in case" I couldn't;t get any DuPont/Goex. So, I never did find out how it worked. I suppose i should crack the can sometime to see how good or bad it is.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I have several that I purchased around 1963 or 1964 - sriii have the price of 75 cents written on the top in grease pencil. Don't ask me why, but every time I would buy powder, those cans never got moved to the front of the shelf. If I never use it, it will still be good for somebody down the road.

I still have a 1 pound can of 2F "Old Elephant" that a dealer gave me to try when I was down to the N-SSA Nationals - I think early 80s? That one I set back +just in case" I couldn't;t get any DuPont/Goex. So, I never did find out how it worked. I suppose i should crack the can sometime to see how good or bad it is.
    I remember shooting some of the old elephant, it was all the club could get at the time. Remember it being a lot dirtier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SR7625.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	303328

From the same time period $3.99; my dad ended up buying a 16 lb keg of SR7625 after yrs of buying the small cans. We would pour powder from the large steel keg into the smaller 8 oz cans for easier handling into the powder hopper.

Boolit Grand Master

I've still got cans of IMR 3031 marked $3.75 each.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    The older cans were marked Gearhart-Owens, when they changed to Goex I kept the last one I had. I also have a can of DuPont and really old small oval can, can't recall the brand. I had a flask shaped can that dated back to 1869, traded it for something or other. Whatever the other was was I still wish I had the can back.

I can remember buying surplus H4831 for $0.79 per pound at a drugstore in Idaho Falls. You scooped out whatever you wanted and put it in a brown paper bag. Worked great for scoop loading '06 cases. That was about 1971.
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Boolit Master

I thew out at least 50 of those cans empty. Who needs empty cans kicking around. late 80's early 90's.

I had to buy cans in this century to put powder in that came packed in a plastic bag.

Boolit Master

A little over 45 years ago I made a trip to Idaho and bought a bunch of black powder. It was in a plastic bag and was under $2 a pound. Can't remember who made it but most of it got traded off. The rest shot as good as any other powder I could find at the time.

Boolit Grand Master

My first powder came from the hardware store and was Dupont in the old oval can with the screw on lid. I wish I would have saved them. I have cans from Goex, Meteor, Elephant, Swiss, Schutzen and an old keg from Dupont blasting.

Boolit Master
    I still have 6 one lb cans of Goex I bought in California back in the '80's.
    I just keep it for back up if I can't make the powder I make .
    And I sometimes use it just to compare to my homemade powder.

Boolit Master
    I still have my first goex can from 1981 it was 5.99 then

Got a matched pair of Goex just like that, don't remember the price on them though. Have 2 cardboard pyrodex P and a cardboard RS, unopened. Pyro: $8.49ea
    Ah, simpler days gone by....
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!