Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The wife wants to move to Texas - We're Currently in Ohio

Maybe Mom needs to come to you?
    Cognitive Dissident

Friend who moved to Wood River region in Idaho in 2010 can attest. Bought 20 acres and a house outside Hailey for $330K, getting offers north of a million now. Most obvious thing about the city people moving in? They're RUDE. Drive aggressively, push and shove in the supermarkets, park anywhere they feel like it, argue with store clerks, und-und-und. She's thinking of selling out already. Where to go? I'm for rural Ohio......warmer winters, for one thing, but not so hot that we need airconditioning in summer. No black flies, no mosquitoes, no deer flies, no 'gators, no poisonous snakes, no scorpions, crime rates very low, ditto property taxes, no water shortages, cheap and reliable electricity (still coal fired), and the Starbucks set hasn't discovered us......yet.

To the O.P. - you don't realize how good you have it!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Looking at the 'tax bill' for many years, most of what is collected goes to 'education'. Why? It doesn't seem to have made much difference in the 'intelligence' of the USA population!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Those school taxes get administered by school boards, and school boards are elected officials. VOTE. Especially in off-year election where they try to sneak bond issues and millage increases past us.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Those school taxes get administered by school boards, and school boards are elected officials. VOTE. Especially in off-year election where they try to sneak bond issues and millage increases past us.
    I've noticed here in AR, that school elections, including bond issues are held in off year, off times like March, April, June when most folks look at elections in Nov. We need to change the way schools are paid for. 90% of folks with kids are renters. Yeah, they indirectly pay, but they don't write a check to the tax collector. And I miss MS where when you hit 65, your exemption went to 100%. At least they don't tax SS and my little pension.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Right. They do that here in Ohio, too. Only folks that take the trouble to vote in these "semi-secret" elections are teacher's union members and retirees like me. In the last few years the retirees have been winning, which leads to no end of grousing in the local newspaper.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    You live right!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Small town middle of nowhere MN, 1 acre lot, older approx 1600 sq foot house, new garage, farm fields 2 sides, horse pasture across the street. Property taxes are $360/yr!
    You live right!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

I would wait until after the mid-terms before I made my mind up……

2k sq ft house in any metroplex is 5K$ min, mostly for schools. Plus extra fees on utilities.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Some folks are giving you info, some folks seem to feel like they know what's best for you. It boils down to do what you and the misses want.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    If I ever leave the New Braunfels area, I’m going to West Texas - generally around Big Bend. Alpine, Marathon, etc. Always liked that part of the state, and I can still get to a large city within an hour or so.
    I'm 25 miles north of Terlingua, you better hurry cause it's getting crazy around here. Prices have gone sky high and everyone is wanting to move out of the city. I'm figuring in a couple of years there won't be any water and prices will go back down as the city folk go bust and leave.

I like to tell my desiccated western friends that around here (SE Ohio) water is just a nuisance that we pay to get rid of.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-23-2022 at 06:13 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I like to tell my western friends that around here (SE Ohio) water is a nuisance that we pay to get rid of.
    I remember those days cussing the sump pump that quit on the rainy day. We've had almost 2" of rain this year, 3rd year in a row of below average amounts. We have enough roof to have been able to capture all of it, around 6000 gallons, we use around 1000 gallons a month so we're praying for rain to at least get us through the end of the year.

I hope you're not taking that off an asphalt-shingle roof. Nasty chemicals get entrained in the water..

I do that, too, but my roof is slate. I've got a reliable well, but the water is very hard. Rainwater is soft.
    Cognitive Dissident

What is this thing called rain?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

In Texas it usually comes with a hurricane.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    “The taxes are High”!! HAHAHA!! That’s rich y’all! Very funny!
    👍🏼

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lancem View Post
    I'm 25 miles north of Terlingua, you better hurry cause it's getting crazy around here. Prices have gone sky high and everyone is wanting to move out of the city. I'm figuring in a couple of years there won't be any water and prices will go back down as the city folk go bust and leave.
    I hear you! My son went to Sul Ross from 2004 to 2006 before switching to Angelo State but I always liked Alpine better San Angelo for scenery and climate.

Boolit Grand Master

Wait a bit if you can. Housing and land prices are about to crash. Last month contract cancelations reached 15% and prices in major cities after skyrocketing are going in the opposite direction. Those people who were buying homes $500,000 plus are now pulling out with the rise in mortgage rates and renting instead driving that market higher. I don't think it will be long before those premiums over asking price and bidding wars are over. In Raleigh, NC which has a scorching market as people are leaving the north and it's out of control progressives I just read a story that people should stop expecting 15-20 offers on a house. Contractors are noting building cancellations and even home supply stores are being very careful in credit extension for lumber and stuff going so far as to lower credit limits.

Wife and I are getting to the point of looking at 10-20 acres for retirement and are going to wait a couple of years for the crash to pick up foreclosed land somewhere. With the CARES Act foreclosure moratorium and eviction prohibition expiring at the same time inflation and mortgage rates are going up look for bargains to start being available and don't wait to snap them up.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum