RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my first manual truck and

Boolit Master
    When I taught my two sons how to drive a manual tranny, we first spent 5-10 minutes learning how to E-A-S-E the clutch pedal out with no throttle. The goal was to not stall the truck. After 1-2 stalls, both figured it out, and the rest was easy.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Had a black 93 extended cab 4x4 with the 4.0 and stick that replaced my 87 ramcharger with a 5.9. Saved almost enough in gas to make up for the car payment. Look up near the firewall, your clutch is hydraulic and has it's own little reservoir that takes brake fluid.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    When I taught my two sons how to drive a manual tranny, we first spent 5-10 minutes learning how to E-A-S-E the clutch pedal out with no throttle. The goal was to not stall the truck. After 1-2 stalls, both figured it out, and the rest was easy.
    this is exactly how I taught others to drive stick

kind of like learning to squeeze a trigger rather than pulling a trigger
    Last edited by farmbif; 04-28-2022 at 09:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    I haven't had a passenger vehicle with a standard transmission in 20 years. My freightliner is standard, but that's a different critter. I used to hold my foot on the brake as I released the clutch and as soon as I felt it beginning to engage, I'd move my right foot from the brake and GENTLY depress the fuel pedal as I finished letting the clutch pedal up.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master
    I used to drive my mom's corvair on the dirt roads around D'Iberville when I was 9. If you can handle a sandy track you can handle the rest of it.

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    I had a 2wheel drive Ranger with manual transmission.
    Great little truck until I ruined it.
    I put in a Teflon additive to the oil, after time it breaks down and clogs the oil ways.
    Stay away from oil additives, especially the Teflon coating ones.
    I now have a year 2000 4x4 Ranger with the V6 engine, girls' model (Automatic Transmission). Love it!

Boolit Master
    I have a 01 tacoma, 4 cyl 5spd 210,000 miles. Original clutch, original brakes 'cause I rarely use either. I stalled it at a light last week, first time in a decade. Was a slight hill, light turned green, I let off the e-brake (three minute light) the 40 mph headwind blew me backwards. Fail. No harm done.

Taught my kids stick and the youngest fought with a Corolla shifter, until I taught him to use two fingers, gently move the delicate japanese mechanism, please, it's just little cables. Then he was fine.

The three in the tree service vans were shifted with one's palm, palm down 1-2-3-2, palm up 2-1. Or else they would jam. Then I would have to pop the hood, pry it apart with a screwdriver, and make new friends in the middle of the road. I knew they were friendly, they were all waving.

I prefer a stick shift, especially on ice.

Boolit Grand Master

When you can stop at a red light on a incline and then on green take off without rolling backwards into the fool who has ridden up on your rear bumper ... You Have Earned Your Wings !
    Rolling back a few inches was the one thing my old Man would fuss at you for ... his driving pet peeve...
    since he taught us how to drive he thought it was bad inflection on him ... so when he was in the car you had to get it right . He taught me on a
    1953 Pontiac Chieftain , straight 8 motor , 3 on the column shift ... and think about this , it didn't have power steering or power brakes (no disc brakes either just drums) ... steering that big all steel car required a "suicide knob" on the steering wheel because you had to turn it around so many times to turn a corner and stopping required some leg strength and you learned the art of downshifting to help slow you down ... manual brakes and manual steering and manual transmission are a bear to drive with ... you stay busy doing something .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Hard to believe I have had five Rangers (3x88 a 91 and a 92) and a 92 Explorer. They aren't bad little trucks, but the early automatics were terrible. All of mine had five speeds except the Explorer, its tranny started acting up so it got parked before it left me stranded, then it caught fire when I was moving it to mow.

Funny thing is with the two wheel drive ones, the four banger got the worst mileage and the 4.0 V6's got the best. The 2.9 was in the middle.

If you ever have a heavy load on it, stay out of fifth gear.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I learned to drive a standard transmision in a 56 International grain truck, low geared and hard to catch second gear when you were loaded in soft ground. One thing that might help you is to take off your work boots, and drive with light shoes, so you can feel the clutch and gas petal better. On level ground you should be able to start in low gear with little to no throttle, then when moving, give it a little gas.

I used a '90 Ranger with a 4 cyl motor to pull a small silage wagon between farms, to feed cattle, and it had nearly 190,000 miles on it before I retired it, tough little truck. I would love to find a nice one like your's.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Hard to believe I have had five Rangers (3x88 a 91 and a 92) and a 92 Explorer. They aren't bad little trucks, but the early automatics were terrible. All of mine had five speeds except the Explorer, its tranny started acting up so it got parked before it left me stranded, then it caught fire when I was moving it to mow.

Funny thing is with the two wheel drive ones, the four banger got the worst mileage and the 4.0 V6's got the best. The 2.9 was in the middle.

If you ever have a heavy load on it, stay out of fifth gear.

Robert
    That doesn't sound right. A 4.0 OHV gets 19-21 mpg on the high way, best case scenario. 17-19 is more common. If a 2.3 isn't getting 24+ mpg highway, something is wrong. They should get 25-30 mpg on an open highway unless there is a strong headwind. At least that's my experience with three 4.0's, and two 2.3's, as well as hearing from friends.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 04-27-2022 at 07:48 PM.

Boolit Master

Too bad you aren't local! Good info here, practice slipping and balancing the clutch without giving it gas on flat ground and you will learn to stop letting off the clutch when rpm drops or it starts to shake a bit. Cheater method for hills is to use the hand e-brake to hold it still, give a bit of gas and ease off the clutch until it tries to move against the e-brake then ease the brake down. Works for foot e-brakes, but the hand brake lets you hold the release button in and feather it. Do not slip the clutch to keep from bogging once moving, the clutch will not love you for it!
    Drove the wheels off 3 standard rangers for work before they went to Kia Souls (on my 3rd, also standard) and small 4 cylinders are a bit tricky but those little rangers are tough little trucks.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I got about the same year ,mine is a 2.5 TD ,been the best pickup Ive ever owned ......and Ive had just about every one of these little Fords since the first Courier in 1977........mine was down for a while with leaky head gasket,neighbour loaned me his gas model same year......I did not like the gas one at all......too much revs to take off ........the diesel idles off without any revs at all...clutches last forever.

Nope, you go to a big empty parking lot. Go forward, stop and back up, repeat till you have it right. Then find a hill(preferably nobody around) and go half up, stop and start again. Use the third foot on the brake pedal. Don't pick a rainy day if the window wipers are vacuum operated.
    Whatever!

Ford Rangers; I had the 8 plug 4 cylinder and 5speed in my first one. It was kind of a gutless wonder- until a trailer was hooked to it, then I guess the other 4 plugs kicked in.
    My second one was auto and V6. Great trucks; they are my pick over Toyota and Nissan easily- I've owned those too.
    I learned to drive a standard in a Morris Minor pickup- the original small truck. My ever patient father just sat in the passenger seat and said "Try it again" for 38ish tries from me before I realized that the clutch let off in the last quarter inch of travel!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    My Frontier has a quarter million on it (and it works hard) with the original clutch. Remember it is not a footrest! If your foot is not either right on it, or right off it, you are wearing something. If you are sitting at a long light, put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch - this will save wear on the pilot bearing/bushing.
    My in-laws cannot help themselves slipping their farm truck clutches all the time, and have to put new ones in every year - and they just cannot understand what the problem is. But what do I know? I taught my wife to drive a manual, and she has never hurt a clutch in several 100k.

Boolit Master
    I learned to drive a 1942 Jeep MB at about 14 years old. The clutch wasn't too bad but taking off on a steep hill was a learning experience. Dad was driving and stopped on a fairly steep hill, got out a switched places with me and said ok lets go. After a couple of failed attempts he said to hold my right heel on the brake and use my toe on the gas as I let out the clutch. The hand brake didn't work so it was no help.

It's hard to find a rig with a manual tranny anymore and I only have one now not counting my motorcycle. My stick shift is a 93 Jeep yj and I still prefer a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    5. If I'm climbing a hill and stall out, any way I can consistently not go flying back down the dang thing? I mean it seems if I break before I stall out and stay in gear it keeps it's self there but if I wasn't on the brake and I stall it's game over and I'm flying. The break don't seem to help much with that either

I'll probably have some more soon but that's about it for right now. Sorry if these are kinda stupid btw but again never drove a stick much before this I'm self teaching and, and YouTube actually doesn't have a tone on How to off road with a 2wd 5speed lol .

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    That's known as riding the clutch and it's not good for the clutch but doing for a few seconds to help get moving is okay. But not once your moving. Your right the smell is bad and it's wearing the out the clutch when that happens.
    Some vehicles have a L next to first gear and the L is like super low gear. If it's stalling in your lowest gear going up hill you just need to hit the steep part a little faster with more RPMS.

Keep at it it will be like second nature after you get used to it.

4 x 4 Jeeps and trucks sometimes have a second gear lever just for when you're off road. 4 low in first gear is like a slow walking speed till you give it a little gas.
    Last edited by pmer; 04-28-2022 at 08:16 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Moderator Emeritus

Find a small hill on your property. Practice using the clutch/gas on that as if you were at a stop light. Gets easier the more you do it. You will get to automatically beingvable to balance the clutch/gas so no rolling backwards when the light turns. My Mom taught me in my Father's pickup. Just takes a lil practice. Good luck

Boolit Master
    My 2006 2.5 diesel has had one head gasket,four glow plugs,one clutch master cyl....and just now a brake switch ....not bad for 16 years