RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Selling copper jackets from range scrap

Selling copper jackets from range scrap

Thinking about mineing the berms at the local range and start to collect range scrap lead just to have. Don't think I'll be something Imm actually use much of but good to have I guess... Anyhow was curious when it come to the copper jackets that come off after you get the lead, do y'all sell them ? Anything special you do to them before resale? How much y'all average? Not looking to get rich or start a new business just curious
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I have not cashed in my buckets of copper jackets yet, but make sure you go over them with magnet and pick out brass looking jackets.Our scrap yard can get real picky about stuff.You will be surprised how much lead comes from a coffee can of range bullets.I take a framed box with screen and wait till ground is dry.Will not hurt to soak in water to wash any dirt off then sun dry. Scrap goes up and down like the stock market,when it's up cash in!

Make your best deal with the scrap yard guy, but if they're clean, they usually pay by weight of #1 Copper.
    If they're dirty looking, you'll normally get the price for #2 Copper.

To maximize your investment, keep an eye on commodity prices.
    The price of metals go up & down just like crude oil.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Thinking about mineing the berms at the local range and start to collect range scrap lead just to have. Don't think I'll be something Imm actually use much of but good to have I guess... Anyhow was curious when it come to the copper jackets that come off after you get the lead, do y'all sell them ? Anything special you do to them before resale? How much y'all average? Not looking to get rich or start a new business just curious
    A 5 gallon bucket of range scrap weighs plenty like more than I can pickup to put in a truck bed, 1/2 a bucket is okay so bring a couple of buckets and a good pair of leather gloves.
    The blasted copper jackets cut like broken glass.
    You should recover about 75#s of lead per 5 gallon bucket
    The brass bullets are pretty cool when you find one, 12 gauge slugs are the snizzle!

Boolit Master
    Out of 3500 lbs of indoor range scrap I sold $1200 of jackets. First 2 batches sold as #1 copper but by the 3rd and last batch they sold as red brass because it tested as gilding metal.

Moderator Emeritus

My scrap guy has only paid me Copper #2 price.
    I flux as best I can, but it's a lot of work to get them looking like Copper #1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Yards around here won’t touch them. Check before you put a lot of work into them.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Run a magnet through for sure - they will check for steel jackets . Give mine to FIL along with all our aluminum cans - he gets #2 copper price at the local yard. Any time I give him a 5 gal. bucket of jackets he's happy !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Yards around here won’t touch them. Check before you put a lot of work into them.
    Yes, call around before you do a lot of work on them. Some of the yards here will buy them and others won't. And run a magnet through them looking for steel. If they find a single steel one they will ding you pretty heavy on the price.

Boolit Master
    I have always been able to sell them a #2copper.

Boolit Buddy
    Just a suggestion on what I have learned collecting range lead. The soil at my range is mostly hardened clay. It can be dug but doesn't sift well, especially late winter/early spring due to moisture in the ground... it comes out in clumps. I use a three-pronged little garden rake to drag across the surface of the ground. I find much of the lead just below. If I do dig I just use a small garden trowel and dig slowly and just a couple inches below the surface.

I also try and get to the range not long after it rains. The water running down the berm uncovers a lot of lead.

Most important for me was training my eyes to see the lead and not think they are small rocks. Once I figured that out my yield doubled and I find I do very little actual digging, just dragging the little rake. Oh, also look at the bottom of the berm, I find a lot there that has been washed down. I would be nice to have sand and be able to sift, unfortunately I'm stuck with clay.

Good Luck.

Isaac

I took two buckets to the scrap yard a few months back. They gave me a brass price. I walked out with $182.00.

Get yourself a relatively strong magnet to get the steel out. I spread the jackets on one of those plastic drip pans you can get from auto parts stores.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.