Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tx Hog Hunters: best caliber to build?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    I'm intrigued by the .450 bushmaster, especially after reading on it a bit.

I was initially trying to stay .30 so I could use a .30 suppressor, which could also do double duty on a .223 without much loss of efficiency.

But after doing more reading, I think I'm leaning toward to .300 ham'r. The performance is impressive out to 200 yards, and that's plenty of range for pigs. A suppressor will still be helpful, even with supersonic ammo.

Anyone cast for .300 ham'r?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Casting for the 300 Hamr may be a nogo. the usable boolit lwngth is short and requires deep seating on most boolits. I have set up dummy rounds for the MP 314-410, but it is seated really deep and takes up a lot of powder capacity.

Due to short usable bullet length, there are a bunch of jacketed bullets that cannot be used. The ogive on the long sleek bullets is down in the neck.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with buckwheatpaul, anything you can shoot accurately will do. In my neck of the woods the 22Long Rifle/22Magnum reign supreme. But in all reality, any centerfire rifle will be more than enough. Caliber does not make up for poor accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Well, I'm also looking for an excuse to build something new and load for a new cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master
    So I'm giving into the temptation to build a pig gun, because pork is the clearest indication that the universe was created by a loving god that I can think of.

I have a few friends who hunt pigs regularly, and I want to join in. But I don't really have anything appropriate. All my .30 rifles are bolt except my .30-30 lever gun, and I'm thinking I'd like to put something more modern. A new upper for my AR would probably be the fastest and least expensive path, but in what caliber?

Also, is cast even worth the trouble, or would I have cycle issues?

Subsonic with a suppressor would be great for shooting at groups, but I know the heavy, subsonic rounds have a trajectory like a brick.

Or am I better off just buying a complete AR-10 and adding another .308 rifle to my collection?

I'm hoping someone has been down this road and can warn me away from the more costly mistakes.

Try the .30/30 you have and decide if you need a more rapid platform. Slick up the action and maybe add a red dot. Before going down the AR 10 path handle one. They seem clunky to me.
    Don Verna

As long as you DONT TRY AND SHOOT THEM LIKE A DEER there pretty dang easy to kill
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    As long as you DONT TRY AND SHOOT THEM LIKE A DEER there pretty dang easy to kill
    And that is the truth. The vitals are located differently in a pig than a deer. They are further forward in the front of the chest between the front legs. A good double lung shot on a deer is a gut shot on a hog. It is a hard habit to break, especially when shooting on moving pigs. I have a hard enough time leading them enough anyway...and then with vitals further forward, i usually end up with center mass hits or just hitting them too far back on moving shots.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    And that is the truth. The vitals are located differently in a pig than a deer. They are further forward in the front of the chest between the front legs. A good double lung shot on a deer is a gut shot on a hog. It is a hard habit to break, especially when shooting on moving pigs. I have a hard enough time leading them enough anyway...and then with vitals further forward, i usually end up with center mass hits or just hitting them too far back on moving shots.
    Aim for shoulders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a TAC 30 a rimless 30 Herrett based on a 6.8 SPC and a 30x7.62x39 (.308 barrel with 1-10 twist) chambered for the 7,62.39 using a .308 expander. They both do within 100 fps of each other, 2,400 to 2,500 fps with 150s. The TAC is a 1” gun, the 30x7.62x39 and is a 1/2” gun. Depending, E Texas is is like NW FL W Texas different for hogs.

My favorite is the 35, I have two 358 MGP AR guns, basically a rimless 357 Herrett, developed by Mike Plinkington. A real hog and bear whacker with a 200 or 180 at near 2,600 to 2,700 fps. They anchor a big hog with one shot. The above are AR-15 platform guns.

The 308 AR or Armalite AR-10 platform is heavy compared to the AR-15. Even in a carbine they are heavy.

If you add a scope and a suppressor the package gets heavy. The trick is to keep easy to handle in the mix. Also remember the suppressor does not make the bullet impact quiet or lessen the noise from the action function. The trick with suppressed sub sonic is to get full function. You do not want a single shot in a mess of hogs at night.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Anyone cast for .300 ham'r?
    Yes! What's not to like about 15 twist match bbl from Wilson Combat? RCBS 7.62mm-130-SPL and NOE 311-150-SP, both powder coat and checked. Those two bullets also work well for 7.62x40WT (12 twist). I'm sure others will work, but I have not tried any (sometimes too many projects, doncha know). The 300 Ham'r cases came from WC, but the 7.62x40s were made from LC 5.56.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Aim for shoulders?

Spine

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    BTW, also true of many African game animals. Why many PH prefer the shoulder shot, not behind the shoulder. IT works on deer & elk too, but you can ruin meat.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Aim for shoulders?

If they're standing still, aim at the ear hole. When the others take off running, aim at the top of the nose

From BO 10: 1:8 pistol, just rest on front bag. 145gr GC BLL 1900 fps. A handful shot this way. 4x scope 50 yds. Tromex L comp. Fast fire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_20220302 (2).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	297341
    Whatever!