Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision

Thread: Deburr Mold with Leather

Boolit Master

Deburr Mold with Leather

I have an AL mold that refused to break-in. I’ve ran about 8 casting sessions, and bullets still stick. The burrs from where the Cherry’s cutting edge exited the cavity would not break off from casting. So I took a strip of leather from a pair of Jesus sandals and scraped the leather against the burrs. I cannot feel any burrs, but the edges are still sharp. Still need to tap the handles a little to get the bullets out, but my production rate has doubled.
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

I've had that issue too and rubbed the offending area on my leg while wearing old blue jeans.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Very nice, similar to stropping the burr off of a knife edge…

Boolit Grand Master

Leather has been used for years as a deburring media. Ehr high end tormex and other slow speed sharpeners use a leather wheel on one side with a very fine abrasive polish to put the final edge on tools, This treatment is mildly abrasive and also helps lower the leather loading up. In shops a piece of leather backed by flat stock and treated with diamond or simichrome some times various rouges is use to final hone the die details. Barbers and others have used the leather strop to finish razors and knife edges for hundreds of years.

the use of leather or rawhide cuts very fine and is easy to control, It will if used correctly produce a mirror finish. But it is slower than a stone. Also finding supple suitable leather that isnt finished to the point it wont impregnate is getting harder.

Take a piece of 3/8 x 2" x 6"-8" cold roll and sand one side flat on a piece of glass or other flat surface, then epoxy a thin soft piece of leather to it using the flat surface to support it. Lightly sand the leather to open the pores. Rub in some red rouge use this to polish and hone edges pf too;s. You will wonder how you got by with out it. Make several as they can be treated with different grits compounds

Moderator Emeritus

Some new molds of certain design, will have sharp edges in other places than the cavity edge. I'd found spinning a boolit in the cavity, with some polishing compound to help dull the edges that tend to grab the boolit, not letting if fall from the mold. while this seems extreme, and does take a gentle touch, especially on aluminum molds, I have found it to work great.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ing-of-boolits
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I just polished a trigger and sear today using a old leather belt. Leather works great.

I remember watching the barbers sharpen their razors on that belt hanging on the chair. Anybody else remember how good that warm shaving cream felt?

Quote Originally Posted by iowa fox View Post
    i just polished a trigger and sear today using a old leather belt. Leather works great.

I remember watching the barbers sharpen their razors on that belt hanging on the chair. Anybody else remember how good that warm shaving cream felt?
    x2

finem respice ~ memento mori

Boolit Master

Hot towels !!!!! Warm Lather.........
    Those were good days.
    Now..
    There are places in Beverly Hills that do a Barbershop shave, only $125.00
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life