RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well I lost my job today

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    He states that the State of Texas is the property owner. A board of directors is making this decision. Does that change anything?
    Nah. If anything, it would make the company harder to sue and get anything from since the land isn't one of their assets.
    Trying to put a lien on state owned land falls somewhere on a line between- a fool's errand, and 'it just ain't going to happen'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    You have skill a backhole operator who cares about your high school or lack of. If you are good as an operator you will find a better job. My good friend lost his job I told him the same thing he did find alot better job. Keep the faith and good luck.

Boolit Master
    or you could join marines or army. they pay you to carry gun

Boolit Mold
    I have owned a truck repair for 20 years. For the first 14 years of that I leased a space. It was stated in the lease that there were to be no firearms or animals on the property. I'm sure the landlord had
    those clauses in the lease for insurance purposes as he and I would shoot on the property on a regular basis, we even set up an indoor range for 22s. Some of my employees would keep a gun in their car or put it in their toolbox. I would not allow them carry a gun or phone on their person while working as it would get in the way.
    One year during a business insurance audit interview I was asked what my company policy was on guns . The question took me by surprise and I said " oh no I'm not going to supply them a gun, if they want a gun they'll have to bring their own". Nothing ever came of it with the insurance company so I guess that's my policy.

Moderator Emeritus

As a few others stated, if you can run equipment then you should have no problems getting work in construction. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    If you live in Oklahoma, you don't need a license to carry.
    If you want to walk around with a gun on your belt where everyone can see it, that is true. I go to some trouble to make sure no one in my neighborhood knows I have guns. My next-door neighbors are ex-cons. Supposedly ex-drug users. You think I should bet on that? I sure don't. Much of my neighborhood is Section 8 housing, as well. The place the helicopters orbit most weekend nights are about 250' from my street. I want it to be a big surprise to anyone who decides to bother me or the few good folks I know are my neighbors. Heck, even the ex-cons don't behave badly where anyone can see them. Maybe not at all.

So long as a license to carry concealed is legally required here, and I don't have such a license, I won't carry a gun. OTH, I'm not under the misapprehension that only guns are weapons. Except when I'm at school, I have usually more then two knives on my person. A metal-bodied ballpoint pen. Don't know if I mentioned the pieces of metal and tools here or elsewhere. As long as I'm not bare naked I am armed. A rolled newspaper or magazine can be a lethal weapon if you know how to use it. If all else fails, I have rocks and sticks in my yard. They've been weapons at least since Cain slew Abel.

I'm also old enough and tired enough and sore enough that I don't fight for fun anymore. I won't start a fight.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    I'm also old enough and tired enough and sore enough that I don't fight for fun anymore. I won't start a fight.
    This reminds me of an event at a traffic light in Dallas.
    On slick streets, an old fella slid down and tapped a truck in front of him.
    A big husky fella got out, and came back to get satisfaction.
    When the guy tapped on the car window with a baseball bat--- the old man shot him dead.

Over the years, I've sometimes had to tell young folks,
    "Don't pick a fight with old people. When they realize they can't win, they might just kill you".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-24-2022 at 06:31 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Every time I lost a job or quit a job, there was always a better one to come along.
    EVERYTIME !

Time to move on, and likely move up $

Lots of $20 per hour jobs in Minnesota, even more money if you like Metro areas.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I carry a smith model 60 in a shoulder holster. Was at the courthouse a couple years back and they had posted cops just inside the door. One noticed my benchmade knife in my pocket and i had to leave it with them while I paid my property taxes. Thought it better not to mention the model 60 in the shoulder holster. I did have a permit to carry though.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sorry to hear that you had to make this decision. But you know the saying, their house their rules.

To answer your question about selling your reloading equipment, consider selling it here through the swapping and selling section. Read the rules concerning selling and read a few pages of the for sale stuff to get ideas on prices and wording.

I have a couple of comments. If you enjoyed operating a backhoe and were pretty good with it consider seeking employment with a utility company or contractor. Gas company, water company, even an electric company. Or with one of the larger contractors that often work for them. Is there any oil and gas pipeline work going on where you are? Think equipment operator.

If you were tired of the backhoe consider another career. Law enforcement was mentioned. Truck drivers are in demand right now. It seems as if everyone needs help nowadays, just keep your eyes open.

Good Luck to you.

Boolit Master
    I started carrying at about 8 am now 76. Only time I didn't carry my pistol was in the Navy I carried theirs. I have worked office jobs after leaving the Navy most had no guns in office. I always carried as there is always a better job just down the street. There is no need for management to see a gun or anyone at work know you carry. I live in Indiana where work can't stop guns in car in their parking lot just in their offices.

Home schooled folks are sharper than folks who went through the go'vermin indoctrination many times from what I've seen. Yes, get your GED. I bet you can still critically think and process actual data. You could also work for a contractor as an operator if no GED.

By the way, before someone takes me to task, I went through the go'vermin indoctrination, but it was a bit different 60 years ago.
    Let's go Brandon!

Super Moderator

At my last job before I finally retired, I had a 3" S&W Model 10 stashed in my desk drawer for nearly 20 years. They had recently implemented a no firearms policy, and when I confessed about my gun he said I could keep it in my vehicle. I would suggest to the OP to not sell all of your casting & reloading equipment! When one door closes, another one always opens. That's how it's been for me anyway, all of my entire life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    This reminds me of an event at a traffic light in Dallas.
    On slick streets, an old fella slid down and tapped a truck in front of him.
    A big husky fella got out, and came back to get satisfaction.
    When the guy tapped on the car window with a baseball bat--- the old man shot him dead.

Over the years, I've sometimes had to tell young folks,
    "Don't pick a fight with old people. When they realize they can't win, they might just kill you".
    Twenty-some years ago, I worked as a teacher's assistant at the local high school for almost 5 years in their in-school restriction classroom. Just me and up to 30 kids in trouble. I stopped a couple of fights by just getting in their way, and telling them that if they hit me, I wasn't worried about losing my job, and would hit them back. One kid asked what would happen if a bunch of them jumped me. I said I'd likely wind up in the hospital, but I wouldn't be the only one. The one time outside of school that someone threatened me, I said I wasn't going to start a fight, but if he started it, it would be over when one or both of us was dead. I'm not a very big guy, though I'm not tiny, either. I think he believed me because I didn't have to prove it.

I was short and fat in elementary school, and had been picked on. And one day I stopped it. I wound up in the principles office more than once. High school wasn't as much of a problem until my family moved to western Colorado from outside LA. Some of the farm boys though they had something to prove, and kept starting fights. One of them had a little brother, about the same age as my little brother, and they fought a couple of times, too. I got beat up a few times, but I was giving as good as I got, and not giving up. The one guy quit picking on me, and the last time we ran into each other after I left home, we stood there in the bank and talked for nearly an hour. His buddy, the one who'd been instigating, tried to start something at a party that he'd invited me to, and I told him to shut up, no one cared what he thought, and went back to my conversation with some of the young ladies I'd gone to school with there. That was it. And that was about 46 or 47 years ago. I used to like arguing and fussing, but that has gone away as I grew up. Probably not a good idea to get me riled up again, so I try to avoid such things. What's the redneck motto? "Leave me alone to do my thing, and I'll leave you alone to do yours." That is about all there is to say about me anymore.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    What was your job that you feel (felt) you needed a gun on your person? What kind of neighborhood are you in? You might look into a new career, such as law enforcement, if you feel you must carry a firearm. Good luck. As mensioned, everyone seems to be hiring now...even the police.
    Same reason I need a seat belt ,I do not plan on crashing but I use one because ! With guns it is not a government gift but a natural right and employers can dictate but you can leave for a safer environment , not being a cop cause they aren't safe
    ( to many rules by desk jockeys ) politicians! The jobs are there you just have to get out and look !/Ed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    If you want to walk around with a gun on your belt where everyone can see it, that is true. I go to some trouble to make sure no one in my neighborhood knows I have guns. My next-door neighbors are ex-cons. Supposedly ex-drug users. You think I should bet on that? I sure don't. Much of my neighborhood is Section 8 housing, as well. The place the helicopters orbit most weekend nights are about 250' from my street. I want it to be a big surprise to anyone who decides to bother me or the few good folks I know are my neighbors. Heck, even the ex-cons don't behave badly where anyone can see them. Maybe not at all.

So long as a license to carry concealed is legally required here, and I don't have such a license, I won't carry a gun. OTH, I'm not under the misapprehension that only guns are weapons. Except when I'm at school, I have usually more then two knives on my person. A metal-bodied ballpoint pen. Don't know if I mentioned the pieces of metal and tools here or elsewhere. As long as I'm not bare naked I am armed. A rolled newspaper or magazine can be a lethal weapon if you know how to use it. If all else fails, I have rocks and sticks in my yard. They've been weapons at least since Cain slew Abel.

Bill
    Are you not in Oklahoma (OKC Metro)?

You can legally carry concealed in Oklahoma without a license. We have constitutional carry. We have had it for a couple years. You can still get a license though if you want one for use when you travel to other states that have reciprocity with Oklahoma.
    Last edited by Ickisrulz; 02-24-2022 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Why did you have carry on your job?
    Why wouldn’t you carry on your job is a better question.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Every time I lost a job or quit a job, there was always a better one to come along.
    EVERYTIME !

Time to move on, and likely move up $

Lots of $20 per hour jobs in Minnesota, even more money if you like Metro areas.
    This is a good point. There are always jobs out there looking for someone who wants to work and do a good job. If you look, you can find one. I had to go to a day labor source some years ago. Got me a job that got me back into good physical condition, for my age. Was able to parley that into a decent maintenance job, which is what I should have been doing all those years between when I got out and when my teaching career crashed and burned. And that maintenance job got me back into machining. That job evaporated with the Covid-19, but now I'm retired, and finally making some progress on getting my workshop together.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Maybe try to get on the grounds crew at a university or college. Your current job skills would transfer nicely.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Maybe try to get on the grounds crew at a university or college. Your current job skills would transfer nicely.
    He's not carrying on that job either.