Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hernia surgery

Boolit Master

Hernia surgery

Any one still have groin pain a year and half after getting a mesh put in for a hernia?I keep telling the VA that the pain is a 8 on the scale if I walk to much or crouch down to long.I do my best to keep on trucking but it ain't easy.Wife says stay out of the woods,but I love the outdoors.

I had the mesh type done through a little hole about 1/4" from a guy that specialized in it.
    I was in & out in a couple of hours.

I was rather sore the next day, and a little sore the second day.
    On the third day, it was like it had never happened.

I can't remember exactly, but the surgery was done at least 10 years ago.
    I don't know if a better process has come along since then, but I have no complaints from mine.
    Maybe yours moved out the effected area or a new hernia developed beside it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Yes. I have a problem with the mesh and my surgery was done about 20 years ago. No problem with walking or any other activity, but I know it is there. Causes some discomfort in other places.

I had a repair with mesh in 2013 on the right side and without mesh in 2018 on the left. The mesh was definitely easier and I actually shot a deer from a tree stand with my bow 3 weeks after surgery. I would get a different opinion if they don’t understand you have a problem.

I had my non-mesh hernia surgery thirty years ago and after two days of soreness and two or three weeks of being careful when I lifted anything it's like nothing ever happened.

Boolit Master
    I had a hernia repaired with mesh back in the early 90s. Six months after I had it done I reached up to get something out of a cabinet and thought I was gonna die! Did this day if I overexert I can still feel it pulling a little! I wouldn’t call it a pain or anything like that it’s more like it’s saying hey remember I’m still there!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Had mesh installed in 1983. Occasionally have a pain, just lasts a few seconds and is not severe.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy

I've had 5 hernia operations since '83, some with, some without mesh. No problems, couple weeks of light duty and back at it.

Boolit Master
    I had the right side done with mesh about 20 years ago. Stayed sore for about a month. Other than an occasional twinge there are no problems. Although they didn't need too, they shaved me from nipples to knees, looked like I was 3 years old again. Everything turned blue, green, black and purple. Dad took one look sad said " Looks like the color case hardening on a cheap shotgun".

Had the left done last May. The doctor had a little problem from scar tissue from the first one. A fluid pocket formed where the hernia had been, it was really sore. I thought the hernia had come back. The Doc said it was common and would go away in a few weeks.

If mine hurt that bad after that long I would want some answers.

Boolit Master
    Hernia mesh can migrate and cause problems down the road. Most surgeons don’t use it now days. It’s one of those things that have made ambulance chasing lawyers rich. There’s a reason for that. You’re better off getting the repair without it. I had hernia surgery twenty-seven years ago and the surgeon said he wouldn’t touch mesh for a repair. He fixed mine and it’s like I never had a hernia to begin with. Never had a problem since.

Boolit Master
    I am going to find out if the VA can send me to a different clinic besides Pittsburg to get something done.Wife is a retired RN and is very supportive and that helps abunch.thank you guys for sharing your experiences.

Moderator Emeritus

Had a mesh repair in the late 90's. No appreciable pain from the mesh after the first week.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I've seen several advert for lawyers having a class action against several mesh makers. I'd be checking, there really might be issue with the mesh.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I had surgery in 99 at the VA on my gut, they used mesh, it herniated. Three surgeries later to date it still hurts. I would go to a non-VA doctor as it can become very bad.

Boolit Master
    Ya I had it done at UMPC in Pittsburg.The VA made the arrangements for me for which I am grateful,but here I am hurting every day and it's getting old! VA did pay for 100% of the bill.

Boolit Master
    I had the mesh back in April and had no problems, other than some discomfort starting a few months ago. It's not severe but I'm wondering if the hernia may have moved. Feels like it's lower than before. My job is physically demanding, so I may have overworked it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I keep getting pop up ads from law firms looking to sign me up for a class action suit for hernia mesh failures. I don't have one and have never had surgery in my life.
    Maybe you are one that might need that. Google hernia mesh lawsuit and read up on it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.