Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Use A Cast Iron PanFor Casting Boolits ?

Anyone Use A Cast Iron PanFor Casting Boolits ?

I was told to get my secondhand cast pan tested for lead, since it used to be common to use cast pans for casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I have a Lodge cast iron pan used to melt scrap lead. If I cleaned it up you would never know it was used in that manner. If you even think it could have been used for that do not use for food prep.

Lowe's sells lead surface test kits. There are also several videos of cast iron collectors on YouTube who address this problem. And yes, I have several cast iron items I use to melt and cast lead.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

I used a cheap cast iron dutch oven to cast for a long time until I got in a hurry and cracked it.

what makes cast iron non stick is the carbon pores absorb the oils and fats from whats cooked in it over the years. The longer its used the better it gets. I can see ine used for lead absorbing small amounts and holing it in these pores. Its just not worth the risk. High heat and grease might clean it out but the seasoning would be ruined and its just not worth the risk.

Boolit Master
    I have a two quart saucepan I paid less than $10 for at the flea market that I use to smelt in. I honestly never thought about it but in days of yore a fellow had to make rifle balls somewhere…

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I started using a cast iron skillet before going to a Dutch oven to melt scrap lead to cast into ingots.
    We do most of our cooking with cast iron cookware. I don’t think I would want to use a used skillet. Unless there is some special value to the pan, I would get a new one. If you shop around, I think you can a new one for not very much.

Boolit Master
    I used a cast iron fry pan for casting in my early days with a Coleman stove, when done with it for that purpose I hung it in a tree and used it for a 22 target. CB's were okay but regular 22's cracked it. I didn't want anyone to use it for cooking. If the sun was in the right spot you could watch the CB's fly.

Boolit Man
    Yes, I use a cast iron dutch oven pot that I bought at Tractor Supply. I wanted to buy a new one to avoid the grease, oil, and other junk that accumulates after cooking use. They have a couple of different sizes so you can decide how much you want to spend. I hacksawed off the legs and ground the stubs smooth with the base as the legs don't sit well on any burner. They come with a heavy good sealing lid that I use when I start the melting process and then remove it to further process. To prevent food use in the future I engraved "not for food" on the lid and the pot. I do all my melting on a deep fryer burner, higher BTU is better if you are buying one.

These pots work really well as they hold temperature for a good time and are easy to work out of. Use that pot and a very sturdy ladle for mixing and making ingots and you are good to go. I use these pots for mixing alloys or my initial melts as that process is often very dirty. Use your cast pot for only clean well-formulated alloys to cast bullets and you will be good to go.

Good luck

Boolit Master
    Way back in the day, my casting pot was a small cast iron pan on top of a one burner Coleman camp stove. I cast about a trillion boolits with it. Today that little skillet is the catch tray for my drip-tastic Lee bottom pour pot.

I started out casting out of a Lyman cast iron 20lb pot. They used to sell a cast iron ''saucer'' for those too so you didn't get mama's cooki'n stove all messy with lead drippin's.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Grand Master

Sure. Started with a cast oven to melt scrap. Still have it and if it wasnt so heavy id sell it here for cheap so someone else could get some use.
    Used cast iron corn cob and other shape molds for cornbread.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    I started out using a one pint Lodge cast iron sauce pan on a Coleman stove. When I retired, I bought an electric Lee 4-20 and a Dutch oven from the Cummins tool truck (think lower grade than Harbor Frieght).

I used the Dutch oven over a turkey fryer to smelt with for a while until I came up with a section of eight inch steel pipe to make my smelting pot out of.

I still use the sauce pan as a dipper when smelting.

Robert

I started bout 67 with cast iron fry pan and a hand pour ladle on the kitchen stove. Was too slow to cool so had to get my own lead pot and stove……
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I guess I'll use my 8" secondhand Lodge for a target or melting.

Boolit Master

I use some cast cornbread molds for ingots...flea market buys.

I use a 3qt iron pot that holds 70lb of alloy!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

7" cast iron fry pan was my smelting and casting pot for years.

Started out over wood fire outside for melting down wheel weights. Clean lead got poured into ingots. In colder weather I would cast on the kitchen stove, propane or natural gas worked fine as long as you were patient.

Eventually joined here, bought my first lee 4lb dipper pot used, then a new one with a thermostat. Then I learned about 20 lb magnum melters. Never looked back.

But cast works. Don't trust aluminum.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Bub
    I use a cast iron PRC imported sauce pan I found at the CVS in Truckee, CA. It easily accomodates four large muffin size ingots.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    7" cast iron fry pan was my smelting and casting pot for years.

Started out over wood fire outside for melting down wheel weights. Clean lead got poured into ingots. In colder weather I would cast on the kitchen stove, propane or natural gas worked fine as long as you were patient.

Eventually joined here, bought my first lee 4lb dipper pot used, then a new one with a thermostat. Then I learned about 20 lb magnum melters. Never looked back.

But cast works. Don't trust aluminum.
    My story is similar. One can totally cast off a small skillet and a Coleman stove. I’ve done it for 45 years. I’ve never even needed to use a thermometer, I just gauge how far the flames lick above the side of the skillet to estimate temperature from experience. Even can make nice hollow points off this primitive method. Finally though I’ve ordered a Lee electric ladle casting pot to finally move into the 20th century LOL.

Boolit Bub
    I started with a Lodge fry pan from Wally World and a turkey fryer burner for making ingots from random shapes. I found it heavy and HOT by the time I poured the last ingot. So I upgraded to a cut down 20 pound propane tank. What an improvement. Now I can place my 16 pound x-ray shielding tubes into the pot without having to half melt them in the fry pan. When the "tank" is half full it is about 50 pounds of molten lead. Ladle into ingots and melt more. I now get more consistent sized ingots. With the turkey burner I can boost the heat for melting the large shapes and then once melted turn down to maintain my desired temperature. With the larger surface and higher temperature I find I get better dross removal without much lead in the dross.