Name:	Old Age.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	291527

It say's it all.

Mark, 72yrs

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    My still beautiful (to me) 80 year old wife is having some real mind connection troubles. Please tell us what "DHA" is so I can discuss it with our doctor.
    As Winger Ed stated, it is an Omega 3 fatty acid. I am sorry your beautiful wife is having those issues. They are exactly what was happening to me. I knew what something was but couldn't say it. Was like the connection would not work. You described it well. I am not sure if you would get the results you may be hoping for at this late stage but please discuss it with your doctor. I now take three in the morning and three at night. I really hope this can help.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Is DHA regular fish oil capsules?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    You'd have to check the label, but probably so.

Fish oil of some sort is also a big ingredient in those eye vitamins.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Here is something I found just doing a quick search. I take both fish oil (2,000 twice a day) and DHA.

When you buy fish oil you will notice different companies tout how much DHA or EPA their product has. While both are beneficial, you may want to consider the unique properties of each to address different aspects of health. EPA has anti-inflammatory effects while DHA is known for boosting brain health.

DHA stands for docosahexaenoic acid and EPA stands for eicosapentaenoic acid. Both are omega-3 fatty acids found in cold-water fish such as salmon, sardines, herring, mackerel, black cod, and bluefish. A vegetarian source of omega 3 is alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which the body may convert to EPA and DHA. Dietary sources include walnuts and flax seed. However, some people have trouble converting ALAs to beneficial forms of omega 3, particularly if insulin resistance (pre-diabetes) is an issue. Eating a diet high in omega-6 fats, those found in chips, fried foods, processed foods, and restaurant foods, may also hinder this conversion.

Boolit Master
    My idea on on the healthy eating: if it tastes good,spit it out its bad for you.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Omega 6 is bad for you, read labels and don't consume it, period. They are claimed to be "heart healthy", bovine feces. Basically if it's a highly refined oil it's high in Omega 6. That includes all corn oils, canola, and I could go on and on. If it's a virgin oil from close to the source it's OK. The closer to nature is what you want. Yes, it's more expensive.

To get my Omega 3 I grind my own flax seed and consume it every morning. That has the added advantage of helping to stabilize my bowels from the medications I take. Yeah, I know, old age is grand.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Its an Omega 3 fatty acid.
    It's available as a vitamin and is made from fish oil.
    Thanks, I found it in a Sam's Club pharmacy and got a couple of bottles today; sure hope it helps Momma.

Boolit Bub
    Another thing that may be beneficial is Coconut oil ,Got mine at the health food store . Good Luck .

Quote Originally Posted by Armorer77 View Post
    Another thing that may be beneficial is Coconut oil ,Got mine at the health food store . Good Luck .
    Get the virgin version.

I know animal fats are supposed to be bad for us because the media latched on to a fraudulent "study" done years ago. But that's hogwash. All fats aren't the same and the media would have us believe they are. The media is evil. Animal fats are good. Everything in moderation. Chicken fat bad? No. It's quite similar toy EVOO. Lard bad? Absolutely not.

Folks, I have heart disease and I looked into this extensively. I've lived what I found out for the past 2.5 years and all of my Drs look at my test numbers and tell me to keep doing what I'm doing. What we've paid and trusted people to tell us... well it's all been lies and politically motivated. Follow the science... yeah, it would be nice if they would. But they say that to get us to believe they are following the science, but they aren't. They lie. Yeah, I found it hard to believe too. Incredibly hard to believe.
    Let's go Brandon!

BTW, yes aging is the pits. Last 2 matches of the warm season that I was looking forward to are happening this w/e. I had to cancel. I did something to a muscle in the back of my right thigh and if I sit the car seat for more than 15 minutes the pain is excruciating. I shoot for fun and not pain, so I can't get to them. It's bad enough just doing errands locally.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

My mom is 74 and has been on anti-depressants for years. Last year or so, she was starting to forget things, and then would say things completely nonsensical.

A friend of hers turned her on to some special tea made from the bark of a tree or something. Mom started drinking it religiously and within a couple of weeks, I have noticed a big improvement. She has more energy, her mood is improved, and no more alarming statements or forgetfulness.

I think this is the stuff, but not 100%...

https://www.davidwolfe.com/pau-darco-tea-benefits/
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

It is no cake walk and I have the same truck.....love it and want to keep it running as I hope this is my last big truck as I am 69.....spent an hour under the hood replacing a alternator two weeks ago....it was, like you say, no cake walk......just keep battling through it and never ever give into old age.....it will kill you if you do!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    Best money I ever spent was leaf guard
    Been thinking about getting a long ladder so I can clean mine. Wife says no. Nobody seems to do gutter cleaning round these parts.

Boolit Master

Wife won't let me take the gutters off, so I am covering them with sheet metal and managing the water on the ground with "ground gutters" made of gravel with a plastic lining.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My mom is 74 and has been on anti-depressants for years. Last year or so, she was starting to forget things, and then would say things completely nonsensical.

A friend of hers turned her on to some special tea made from the bark of a tree or something. Mom started drinking it religiously and within a couple of weeks, I have noticed a big improvement. She has more energy, her mood is improved, and no more alarming statements or forgetfulness.

I think this is the stuff, but not 100%...

https://www.davidwolfe.com/pau-darco-tea-benefits/
    Good stuff!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

The realities of being 50 have reminded me of a line from the movie "Robin & Marian", in which Sean Connery plays an aging Robin Hood.

To Little John, he says something to the effect of "They say you've done well to see 40". Yep. Even with no scurvy or bubonic plague, between the eyes, joints, and back, the signs were there even in my mid-20's that we weren't really built for a long haul.

Yeah. . .diet and exercise. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Live longer by eating food that makes you wish for death, or add ten years to your span by living five of them in the gym. Fairly well convinced there is no "win" here.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by John Guedry View Post
    My idea on on the healthy eating: if it tastes good,spit it out its bad for you.
    thats about what theyd have you think today.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    The realities of being 50 have reminded me of a line from the movie "Robin & Marian", in which Sean Connery plays an aging Robin Hood.

To Little John, he says something to the effect of "They say you've done well to see 40". Yep. Even with no scurvy or bubonic plague, between the eyes, joints, and back, the signs were there even in my mid-20's that we weren't really built for a long haul.

Yeah. . .diet and exercise. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Live longer by eating food that makes you wish for death, or add ten years to your span by living five of them in the gym. Fairly well convinced there is no "win" here.
    I'm 52 and my doc told me something totally insensitive and alarming a few months ago when I came in complaining of pain when I wake up.

She said, "welcome to the reality of being over 50. Things are going to start to hurt for no reason. It's usually not cancer, and it's usually not anything you need to see me about. Take more aspirin, do more stretching, and forget about doing the stupid **** you did in your 20's and 30's..."

Pretty sure she nailed it.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

You've got a pretty good Doc - They are not all that good. That advice could help you live a better life, or it could kill you. But it's advice I am inclined to follow. I'm 70 - or 70 percent of 100
    Being human is not for sissies.