Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Crimp Die for .455 Webley Cartridge

Crimp Die for .455 Webley Cartridge

Who actually makes or has made Loading Dies for .455 Webley?

When I called 'Lee', and pressing the point somewhat, the guy admitted how their ".455" sets are really only just usual ".452".

That is totally worthless, every which way.

So, other than finding a .45-70 Crimp Die, what is out there you-all might know of, for crimping .455 Webley, or .45 Colt, with .454 or .455 Bullets?

Does anyone actually make a 'for real' Loading Die Set which is the right size?

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    I don't know if you have seen the Lee .455 Webley die set. I hope these pictures can help you. Truth be told....I have not reloaded any of my .455 Webley casings with this set yet. But I have dry fitted casings and did flare a couple to ready for reloading. Just waiting for a larger amount to start in.
    I thought you would like to see the Lee set and some inside measurements. I'm sure some here has better data for you but at being able to see them is a start in the right direction.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2128.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	291117

Name:	IMG_2126.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	291118

Name:	IMG_2116.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	291119

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	291120

Name:	IMG_2109.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	291121

Name:	IMG_2107.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	291122

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	291123

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use a Redding .45 Auto Rim Profile Crimp die to roll crimp my .455s. It does Dominion .455 Eley or modified .45 Schofield cases cut to 0.87" with rims thinned as-is.

To get a proper roll crimp on the shorter Starline .455 MkII you need to grind 0.1 off the bottom of the die and then re-chamfer the die entrance.

I size cases using an old RCBS steel .45 Colt sizer, which does not work brass excessively. I expand brass with an RCBS .45 Auto Rim expander using an older .45 Colt (.454) plug, and seat bullets to length only with the RCBS .45 Auto Rim seater, crimping separately.

RCBS used to make correct .455 MkII dies, but they were special order and expensive. Rarely you might find them used at gun shows and the seller may not know the rarity of what he has. I picked up a used set in good condition for $75 with shell holder and felt it a great deal.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post
    I don't know if you have seen the Lee .455 Webley die set. I hope these pictures can help you. Truth be told....I have not reloaded any of my .455 Webley casings with this set yet. But I have dry fitted casings and did flare a couple to ready for reloading. Just waiting for a larger amount to start in.
    I thought you would like to see the Lee set and some inside measurements. I'm sure some here has better data for you but at being able to see them is a start in the right direction.

Name:	IMG_2128.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	291117

Name:	IMG_2126.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	291118

Name:	IMG_2116.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	291119

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	291120

Name:	IMG_2109.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	291121

Name:	IMG_2107.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	291122

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	291123
    So, it's really ".454" ID for the Crimp Die?

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I use a Redding .45 Auto Rim Profile Crimp die to roll crimp my .455s. It does Dominion .455 Eley or modified .45 Schofield cases cut to 0.87" with rims thinned as-is.

To get a proper roll crimp on the shorter Starline .455 MkII you need to grind 0.1 off the bottom of the die and then re-chamfer the die entrance.

I size cases using an old RCBS steel .45 Colt sizer, which does not work brass excessively. I expand brass with an RCBS .45 Auto Rim expander using an older .45 Colt (.454) plug, and seat bullets to length only with the RCBS .45 Auto Rim seater, crimping separately.

RCBS used to make correct .455 MkII dies, but they were special order and expensive. Rarely you might find them used at gun shows and the seller may not know the rarity of what he has. I picked up a used set in good condition for $75 with shell holder and felt it a great deal.
    I am surprised the Redding .45 Auto-Rim Crimp Die would work, given that .45 Auto-Rim is a .452 Bullet.

I would have expected a .452 Crimp Die to get the Bullet stuck up in it, while failing to crimp at all ( which is what happened with me, back when, in first trying to Load and Crimp .455 Bullets using .45 Colt dies which it turned out were meant for .452 Bullets.

What I am actually doing or wanting to do is to load .45 ACP Brass for use in Moon Clips, and, .45 Colt Brass, for two respectively "Converted" S & W, 2nd Model Hand Ejectors, which had started off Life as .455 Webley chamberings...as well as, to load for same Model Revolver which is still original .455 and was not 'converted'...all Three would be .454 or .455 Bullets.

So, I need to come up with an expander Plug, as well as a Crimp Die.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 11-02-2021 at 01:29 AM.

Boolit Master

Contact Bernie at Old West Bullet Molds. He makes custom collet crimp dies for just about any cartridge. I have 5 of them and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    I am surprised the Redding .45 Auto-Rim Crimp Die would work, given that .45 Auto-Rim is a .452 Bullet.

What I am actually doing or wanting to do is to load .45 ACP Brass for use in Moon Clips, and, .45 Colt Brass, for two respectively "Converted" S & W, 2nd Model Hand Ejectors, which had started off Life as .455 Webley chamberings...as well as, to load for same Model Revolver which is still original .455 and was not 'converted'...all Three would be .454 or .455 Bullets.

So, I need to come up with an expander Plug, as well as a Crimp Die.
    .455 brass is thinner at the mouth wall, so profiling in the .45 Auto Rim die doesn't reduce bullet diameter below .454", however if you are using .45 ACP brass your mileage may vary.,
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Well, I now have a set of "LEE 455 Webley" Loading Dies, on their way from 'Midway', $35.99 on Sale!...got a couple other odds-n-ends too, ( including another Box of Lead Balls ) and qualified for free shipping!

Fingers crossed these Dies Ring the Bell..!

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    Well, I now have a set of "LEE 455 Webley" Loading Dies, on their way from 'Midway', $35.99 on Sale!...got a couple other odds-n-ends too, ( including another Box of Lead Balls ) and qualified for free shipping!

Fingers crossed these Dies Ring the Bell..!
    Anxious to hear your report!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Contact Bernie at Old West Bullet Molds. He makes custom collet crimp dies for just about any cartridge. I have 5 of them and they work great.
    I will keep this in mind, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Anxious to hear your report!
    Thanks Outpost75!

Not sure when the Dies will get here, but, soon as they do, I'll be on it like a Duck on a June Bug!

Boolit Bub

Old Dies

I have tried the Lee dies with poor results.
    These old steel CH dies work great. Keep checking the Swapping and Selling page, they show up fairly offenClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_225818.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	291173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_225844.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	291174

Quote Originally Posted by RIHP View Post
    I have tried the Lee dies with poor results.
    These old steel CH dies work great. Keep checking the Swapping and Selling page, they show up fairly offenClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_225818.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	291173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_225844.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	291174

I have avoided "Lee" anything for a long time now. I do not like their Molds, and some Die Sets I got back when, I did not like those either.

So...we'll see if the .455 Die Set is alright or 'alright enough', or not...

I can say right now I'd MUCH rather have an old Steel Set like you show!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a set of Redding dies for the .455 complete with shell holder. There number for the dies is 80375. These work very well, I struggled for a lot of years trying to use Lee and various 45 Colt dies, you could get them to work but was a lot of hassle. The toolman.

Quote Originally Posted by JMtoolman View Post
    I have a set of Redding dies for the .455 complete with shell holder. There number for the dies is 80375. These work very well, I struggled for a lot of years trying to use Lee and various 45 Colt dies, you could get them to work but was a lot of hassle. The toolman.
    What do you want for them? ( Lol...I'll buy 'em if you do not need to keep them! )