Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Powder, No Primers, No Brass!!!

In Remebrance

BTW- Nice to see you back Bass!

Boolit Buddy
    The root of this problem goes a bit further than the election of Obama. I would say he is the straw that broke the camels back for some of us but if you look around you'll see that alot of people are feeling uneasy today. People are sensing something isn't right and the herd instinct is starting to take over. The herd instinct really means everyone for themselves which means if someone starts to react then I better react but more so because I don't want to be left behind.

The problem I see is that this general uneasiness has the potential to spill over into all aspects of society and our fearless leaders know this and is the reason they are trying to calm us down with all the crazy things they are doing. I predict it won't work and we will see a rush in the financial area (you ain't seen nothing yet!), food, jobs, all the things necessary to maintain our basic lifestyle which is going to change.

Like many on this board, I tend to see some of this beforehand, so I try and stay away from the herd. It ain't pretty but those who do not face reality are likely to be crushed by the herd.

I went to the gunshow yesterday and saw about 3k wolf large pistol primers for 35 per 1k. I would have bought them if I didn't already have a sizeable stash of LP primers. The prices are out of control, it was about a month ago I got 5k LP primers for $100.

There were a couple of guys looking at the primers as well but they said they needed small rifle primers and would only by CCI. Small rifle seem to be what is fetching the best prices online as well. I suppose ammo to feed those 223's?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Oh shoot. I probably just started the ball rolling on the next big shortages.
    AIR!
    Smooth Move Ole!!

Sheesh, Some peoples kids!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    Was getting set up for making 9 mil.
    It's on hold for a spell.
    No primers,, no need for anything else.
    Never really maintained a good supply of components. Never needed to.
    Times have sure changed in the last 6 mos.

Fishing season is coming, so the range time can go to the back burner til this crazyness passes.
    Think I'll work on the boat now.

Boolit Master

I don't see why you all are so worried about it. I have not had a problem getting supplies. I just bought a 1000 Wolf SP primers the other day for just a hair over $20, and went back the next day to buy some more because they were so dang cheap compared to what you guys are telling me your spending for them. Powder...please. Its still $16 a pound. Brass...no problem. I have a dependable source for once fired...

You know if people would quit freaking out then everyone's problems would completely disappear. I this this is a larger problem in some locales then others. Like I said. I haven't had a problem buying at all.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Min Wal was at Del Mar this weekend and seemed to have plenty of components altho the line was huge to get to them. Never saw a bigger crowd for the gun show.
    Best, Roger

Boolit Buddy

And the Next Problem Will Be ...

When this Mad rush for reloading components ends, and the shelves at all the stores fill back up. They will gather Dust & the store Owners will be going out of business. This from a Store owner in Wyoming last week. Sad Outlook My 2’. Russ.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not "fat" on components, but I'll be all right for quite a while. The hoarders are screwing us all over, in my opinion--and the component makers gotta be loving that. CHA-CHING!!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Naw, cause the guys like me will continue to shoot a bunch every week, and will continue to buy every week. I will stop buying Factory Loaded if I can though. Once they figure out that people will pay $X.XX amount they will never lower it. So even when its sitting on the shelves its gonna be over priced...

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master

Gun show in Roanoke had a few reloading components scattered - saw only 5000 CCI small rifle, but the guy was only asking $20/1000 . Since I already have my stash(yup, I'm a hoarder !) I left 'em for the needy . He had 6/7 cans of Unique for $20 too. Lotta Sierra .223 bullets on one vendor's table, reasonable($84/500). Not a set of .223 dies in the house !
    Most dealers said a heckuva rush yesterday - the 'panic" buyers show on Saturday, I guess.
    Personally , since the early 90's when we had a primer shortage, I try to keep my stock level, and add to it when I see a dent - below 30,000 and I get nervous !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by riarcher View Post
    Never really maintained a good supply of components. Never needed to.
    Times have sure changed in the last 6 mos......
    This will have been a valuable learning experience for many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ in WY View Post
    When this Mad rush for reloading components ends, and the shelves at all the stores fill back up. They will gather Dust & the store Owners will be going out of business. This from a Store owner in Wyoming last week. Sad Outlook My 2’. Russ.
    I think, and hope that you are wrong about this.
    I, for one, will never allow my stock of ammo and components to get low again.
    I am sure that a huge number of folks have also finally seen the writing on the wall.

It certainly won't seem excessive to keep 20K primers and 50 lbs of powder, or 10K rounds of ammo as an emergency reserve from now on. Most of us spend far more than that would cost for other forms of insurance.

The upside to all that is happening is that the recent sales of hundreds of thousands of firearms and millions of rounds of ammunition can't pass unnoticed by those who would seek to rule us by force or coersion, foriegn or domestic.

The NRA should be offering a free years membership to every first time gun buyer.
    Every local gun club and sportsmans association should see the recent increase in gun ownership as an opportunity to grow and make our voices heard.

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    After the "Great Clinton Primer Scare" I had primers for a long time.
    I try to replace what I use. No primers at any of the bigger online suppliers.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    Gander Mountain in Bowling Green KY had Winchester small pistol. $3.99 a flat. Maybe had 10 flats.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately, the prices on the out end of this thing will prolly remain at glut levels which means we will pay A LOT more to replenish our working stock. It wasn't all that long ago I was paying $75/5K for primers. Now it's about $135+ or more. I'm sure the antis are grinning.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I bought a good supply of components back last summer. I figured if the election went the wrong way then something like this would happen. I could use a few other items but like others, funds are somewhat limited. As it stands right now even with my normal target shooting and plinking, I have enough to last a few years. I still believe this is all due to folks hording. I think that supplies will gradually come back but prices will most likely stay high, probably even go higher.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

I consider myself pretty fortunate. As I mentioned above, I have no problem buy primers, brass, or powder. However, lead is a problem for me. I recently was notified that I had a bucket of WWs waiting on me. However, the bucket turned out not to be full. These days it seems that if the tire shops can put the same weights back on a vehicle they go ahead and do it. Personally I thought that was illegal. But what do I know, right?

I fear I am going to have to make a bulk purchase off of Evil-Bay pretty soon. Which I dread, as I'll go from paying about $0.30 a pound to about $1.20 after shipping. But, I am somewhat lucky in the respect that I'll be getting a pretty good chunk of cash back from the Gov as soon as they send me my check for all the taxes that I over paid...

I figure I'll be able to purchase about half a ton, then spend the rest on other things I've been wanting throughout the year...

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Last primers I saw at a show were going for $90 per THOUSAND. Yes you heard right. They were flying off the shelves too and the guy was saying what a deal it was- he had some on gunbroker that ended at $172 per thousand.

At those prices I simply will refuse. My flintlocks will get a lot more use.

Boolit Buddy
    If I thought for one minute I could get $172 per thousand I'd sell 5K worth.

I was at gander mt. the other day killing some time and picked up a 4lb keg of 700x for $65. I thought that was a pretty good price. They had unique, 700x, green dot, 380 and a few others on hand. There were several 8lb kegs of greendot for $125.
    No primers.
    They had some brass but wanted $39 per hundred. I almost had a heart attack.
    Seems that they were going to make all their money an brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post

You know if people would quit freaking out then everyone's problems would completely disappear.
    That there is a mouthful of truth, innit!

There are hoarders that use what they buy, eventually, then there are the guys that are just spooked, and buying anything they can find, without having a need for it at all. The guys that are stocking up on stuff that they can use, I can understand. Those buyers that don't need, or don't have a use for the ammo and stuff that they are buying, are stupid, and are wasting their money.

As long as we have guys going around spreading the latest panicked rumor, we are going to have folk beleiving them, and so it continues...

On the up side, the ammo makers are going to weather this tough economic times better than, say, the auto industry.

Maybe a rumor to the effecrt that they are going to ban trucks and cars!

Cheers
    Trev