WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester 572 powder 20ga question

Winchester 572 powder 20ga question

Hey there, I'm new here. Was wondering if anyone knows of factory loads which Winchester uses their 572 powder for 20ga? Reason being, I've cut open a bunch of random Winchester shells to weigh the components inside, etc. I have yet to find one of the shells I cut to have the proper powder load for 572. They're usually all WAY higher, at leas 4+ grains. Wondering if this means Winchester errs on the safe side when giving out load data? And do they load stuff way hotter than "we" should? Or do they not use 572 that often, even tho it's an excellent powder?
    I've been using this powder for my buck and ball 20 ga load for over a year now and I love the powder. Just wanted to compare for the sake of it. But I can't seem to find any info. Thanks!

Boolit Master

I thought they discontinued 572 a long time ago
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    one powder I'm not familiar with it is one of the newer powders that came out not to long ago, maybe winchesters answer to Alliant pro reach
    anyway its not uncommon for factory ammo to be put together with a bulk powder that is not available to general public in one and 8 pound containers.
    some powders might look alike but can be very different.

Boolit Master
    as to discontinued, they still advertise it, but there was a big recall of some lots, one reason ive yet to try it.

honda mike--if your wanting to put together high performance 20 gauge shells, ive noticed that imr/Hodgdon Powder web site has greatly expanded shotshell load data over past few years lots of good loads on there.

Boolit Buddy
    you cannot compare factory loaded ammo powder too canister over the shelf powder , they are not exactly the same

Boolit Master
    I bought 8 pounds of 572 when the Obamite was in office in anticipation of not being able to get any components. It was my plan then to buy as many different things as I could that would work in my applications . I loaded some 572 for something and it seemed okay but for the life of me I don’t remmember the gauge .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    win 572 is still available in stock now at brownells , the one that is discontinue is 571
    it can be used for 12 ga heavy magnum lead loads and standard 20 and 28 ga loads
    it dos has some pistol applications , check hodgdon load data site

honda mike

care to share your 20ga Buck and Ball load ?
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    honda mike

care to share your 20ga Buck and Ball load ?
    Sure, I’ll share. I know “wildcatting” shotshells is frowned upon by some, in my experience. So that being said, if anyone is going to lecture me on that, save your breath. I’m very meticulous with my notes and with loading in general. For these I load by hand one at a time and finish with a roll crimp. They work excellent. So good, in fact, that I have 5 shells I’m sending out for ballistic testing in the morning. I have pics of this load being put together if anyone wants to see just email me at hondamike12345@yahoo.com and I’ll send em. I have yet to figure out posting pics here. Anyway, without further ado:

Mike’s “M54-4” buck and ball load:
    3” Fiocchi 20ga hull
    1078 wad, cut off the legs and bottom, just use the cup part
    17.8-18.0gr W-572 powder
    1/2” fiber/card wad, then 1078 “cup” part
    .54” Hornady lead roundball
    8-10 pellets of 4B depending on mfr, I’ve also used #4 shot which works excellent(and since I have 20lbs of it haha)
    Total load weight should be 1oz, 28gr. The .54” are about 15-16gr.
    Finish with an over shot card and roll crimp. Any Q’s just holler.
    I’m more likely to respond to e-mail as I don’t check here too often.