Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: our lead is worth more

No matter how high the price of lead goes the best way to get rid of it is by pulling a trigger.

Boolit Bub
    I just sold 300 pounds of the dross off the top of the smelt for $.60 a pound at the junkies
    I was happy to get rid of it

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I must be the luckiest guy on the planet. I friend and fellow shooter/racquetball player sold his tire shop many years ago, called me and said "....come get as many wheel weights as you want".
    2500 lbs later I think I am all set.
    No lead shortage here.
    I bet half of that was steel and zinc weights?
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

I don't cast much so I just buy a few pounds of Lyman #2 every now and then. Last time I bought some was about a year ago from Rotometals.

$25 for 5 lbs delivered to my door.

Today, it is $32 for 5 lbs. $6.40 a lb.

Ordered 14 lbs a few minutes ago from Buffalo Arms and it was $68 delivered, or $4.85 a lb.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like I will be selling some commercial bullets/alloy. I have about 4000 lbs that I will never use up.
    Don Verna

Salvage yard here said most there lead is from old batterys they process.
    I thought that old batterys lead was a no go for boolits?
    NRA Life Member
    learn to make your own black powder collect bp arms as there presently not recorded
    smokless is a fad its fading fast, helped along by obama

The processing of it is nasty, but other than that, battery lead is just like any other. I think it's soft and mostly pure. A very long time ago I used it for muzzle loader boolits. The deer never seemed to notice any difference.

Boolit Buddy
    Up here in Canada If you live by or near the Coast you probably seen abandoned Sail Boats. Some of them have sizable amounts of Lead in there Keels free for the taking if you are willing to work for it.

Cheers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    https://www.rotometals.com/pallet-le...ight-included/

Pallet Lead Ingots (99.9%) 1000 pounds Freight Included sale $1,849.00
    — You save $150.00
    However a ton is 2000 pounds making 1000 pounds cost of $869.65 plus the frieght.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I don't cast much so I just buy a few pounds of Lyman #2 every now and then. Last time I bought some was about a year ago from Rotometals.

$25 for 5 lbs delivered to my door.

Today, it is $32 for 5 lbs. $6.40 a lb.

Ordered 14 lbs a few minutes ago from Buffalo Arms and it was $68 delivered, or $4.85 a lb.
    At that price for alloy, might as well just buy jacketed.

Lead is out there and can often be had free or cheap. One has to be on the lookout for it. I've accumulated enough over the years that since I'm shooting on my own place where I'll eventually recover it if I live long enough to bother with it, that I'm not worried about running out now. If I was shooting on a public range, I'd be actively looking for more.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    At that price for alloy, might as well just buy jacketed.

Lead is out there and can often be had free or cheap. One has to be on the lookout for it. I've accumulated enough over the years that since I'm shooting on my own place where I'll eventually recover it if I live long enough to bother with it, that I'm not worried about running out now. If I was shooting on a public range, I'd be actively looking for more.
    Good point...at $6/lb I will buy commercial bullets. I have never understood the attraction of Rotometals but I guess some folks just need a few pounds for whatever reason.

My last purchase was years ago....2000 lbs of 92-2-6 from Mayco. $3600 delivered IIRC.

Like you, I am now in the position that I can reclaim lead on my own range (use a sand filled trap) so I will never run out of lead. I have about 4000 lbs in ingots. I used about 800 lbs for ballast for my tractor but need to replace that with concrete. Just silly to have $1600 of lead doing the job of $50 of Quickrete.
    Don Verna

Banned

I dumpster dove at a construction site a few years ago for 20 minutes or so and got 100 lbs of X-ray shielding for my efforts. When I was younger, went to the demolition of a big housing area on post and collected up several hundred pounds of various roofing lead, telephone cabl sheathing, and solder joints from waste water pipes. Can count the number of times I've seen a crew roofing a building and just stopped to ask if they had any flashing or roof jacks, usually they'll give them to you if you ask. Been a while, but had tire shops give me wheel weights before. Worst case, the public range I go to would net me a few 5 gallon buckets of scrap in a few minutes of work, the harder part is melting and refining it later, that gets done in Winter.

Our scrap yard in town usually has lead around he'll sell me. I bought a five gallon bucket of Lyman ingots there a while back, not sure what they are, I suspect wheel weights. I seem to recall it was about 35 cents a pound. I've found enough decent deals on linotype over the years for alloying purposes and have a pretty steady supply of tin from work free. One just has to be on the lookout.

Don, it sounds like you thought it through more than I did, there was already a high berm for the road bed to my north, I just marked 100 yards, set up an old pallet to hang targets on and started shooting. It'll probably make it a lot more difficult to sieve eventually than if I did the sand thing, but I may be taking the dirt nap before it happens anyway and it'll be the next property owner's problem. Not gonna go to that trouble while I still have lead on the shelf.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck40219 View Post
    It is silver reclaimed from film processing solutions. When I sold it was netting $26.55 a troy oz.

chuck40219
    What is film? HA ha!

People just do not realize all you have to do today is type your question into Google or the engine of your choice and it will answer you with tons of reading material.

Banned

ill save mine other then what i return to the earth for a future investment. I we ever do see a full on shtf senerio lead in the form of cast bullets will be worth more then gold or silver. Always wondered what people though thinking Gold would be so valuable if that happened. Just cant see a bunch of people living in a cave trying to scrape by just finding food and ways to stay warm would do with gold. Sure it might be worth something again in the distant future but not to many of us will be around long enough to see it. Logic would say that other then food water and shelter, guns and ammo will be the most valuable trading pieces to have. You probably wont buy a ritz cracker for an once of gold.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Lloyd, in post 34 my eyes see the incredible suffering of the Balkans in the 90's, and I pray it never comes to pass here.

Marksmanship may save your life or people special to you some day, that is what the lead may be worth.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    as a bullet caster ive learned to never pass up an opportunity to acquire casting alloys if its free or at very reasonable cost and no matter how many buckets full of lead alloys I might have that have yet to melted into casting ingots its probably not enough. this way I can shoot whatever I want whenever I want without worrying about running out.

for any of you that buy ingots online I noticed a few days ago that midway had a bunch of different casting alloys in the clearance department

Boolit Master

I have more lead than I will ever use in my life time. I also have various solders, pewter and monotype that will never be used by me. A lot of the solder all the labels are off, so I just treat it as 50/50. My Bhn may be off by a little, but I can always test (which I do), and I can get by. I also have a bunch of boolits already cast up and stored. The various calibers I like to shoot. At some point in time, I'll have to decide what to do with it. I have more casting to do, not that I need to, but I have fun with it. Have a couple of new molds I haven't cast with, yet, and I am looking forward to doing that. I have some really nice molds--old ones--that are in top shape and they work like a charm. This hobby is addictive, as many of you have said. Right now, 92 degrees and a wet bulb of 106, just not the right time. Sell my stash? Not to some **** re-cycler! I'll find a fellow boolit caster or a fisherman, first!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I've got way more lead/ alloy now than the primers needed to use it up. Same with powder. I will still keep an eye open for lead but I am more focused on primer availability going forward.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I've got way more lead/ alloy now than the primers needed to use it up. Same with powder. I will still keep an eye open for lead but I am more focused on primer availability going forward.
    That's probably all of us at this point. Seems like we're beginning to see some progress in primer availability now, not much, but some. Hopefully back to something like normal before long.