WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee c12-155-2r with 7.62x54r and IMR4895

Boolit Bub

Lee c12-155-2r with 7.62x54r and IMR4895

I've had a alot of luck with Lyman 314299 over 30 grains IMR 4895. It shoots great groups for me but I'm looking for something lighter and faster- its also close to the service load that was issued with rifle. Does anyone have experience with this LEE AK bullet and imr 4895? I'm shooting pretty hard cast properly lubed. looking for over 2k fps. Was going to start at 34 grains and work up, does that sound correct? I have a couple of other powders that I know fit the bill (2400, imr4227) but 4895 works so well with the lyman bullet I'd love to use the powder for this new one.

Boolit Grand Master

That's not a very good bullet to push over 2000 fps out of your 10" twist MN......to much nose and not enough bearing surface. Might be good for "blasting" at relatively short range....50 or maybe 100 yards equaling FMJ type "L" accuracy. Best to stick with your proven 314299 load or try the Lee C312-185 for a bit lighter weight bullet at 1850 - 1950 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I PC that Lee boolit and shoot it from a Finn-captured 91/30 over 16.5 gr A2400. More accurate @ 100 yds than 'Spam Can' ball. Haven't chrono'd, but estimate somewhere around 1750 fps. Tried 'pushing' it faster using both 4895 and AA2015 but accuracy went in the dumper pretty quick.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub
    thanks guys

Boolit Bub
    I finally tried this boolit. I had them loaded in 7.62x54r privi brass. 34 grains imr4895. Felt anemic but was fairly accurate. Gonna try more powder in hopes it’s tighter. Everything landed on a 12x12 target around where I was aiming, but some were at every corner. Very light load. 75 yards