Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: A Gem! Lyman #311440 Hunting Experience?

A Gem! Lyman #311440 Hunting Experience?

I'd heard about a little pawn/junk shop that sold a little of everything. I stopped in and took a look around and asked if the fellow had any moulds. He slung a small cardboard box up on the table and told me he had more, but hadn't dug them out for a while.

So I spent about 10 minutes looking through the moulds and find one stuffed in an older Lyman/Ideal orange box with a label affixed over another label marked 311440.

Inside was a nice single cavity mould that had been used but well cared for. So I asked the owner what it would cost to take it home. He says, "How 'bout fifteen dollars?" "Sold!" Says I.

When I got home I did a little looking up on it and found it's a 150 grain gas check design. I've seen references to Paco Kelly favoring this bullet. A search resulted in mixed reactions from folks, some say the profile is wrong, other say it's too light weight.

Anyone have any experiences with this bullet as a hunting bullet? What kind of alloys and velocities were ya using? Thanks.

In Remebrance

That mould would go an easy $85.00++++ on Ebay. You did real well. Some say the metplat is too big, some say it's the best thing since bottled beer. I have a 6 banger GB copy that I've yet to really work with. It sure goes plop! when it hits any solid object.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I have a 6 banger GB copy that I've yet to really work with. It sure goes plop! when it hits any solid object.
    Bret have you got your's yet? I was in on that GB and didn't know it had arrived.

Boolit Master

One warning with the 311440. Nose first size or seat GCs and size very carefully or you'll expand (bump) the nose until it's too big to chamber.

Been there and done it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by WKAYE View Post
    Bret have you got your's yet? I was in on that GB and didn't know it had arrived.
    Mine is from a GB from several years back. Sorry. Just remember- patience is a virtue and waiting on Lee is apparently virtuous!