Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's going to happen

Boolit Master
    Most anyone can learn to reload IF they want to. When I turned 14 (1962) my dad took me to a LGS and bought me a lee whack a mole loader in 12ga along with a pound of powder, 100 primers, 5lbs of shot a couple different wads and a Speer (#3 I think) reloading manual. He handed that stuff to me and said there is your birthday present. I didn't know anything about reloading and neither did he. I learned from that manual and a few years later started buying metallic reloading stuff and then a bullet mold and on and on. This was all before Gore invented the internet. I will admit the internet, especially this forum, has taught me a lot, but the basics can be self taught from books if one has what it takes to work at it.

Boolit Master
    The initial post made me think about the time my brothers and I all got together a couple of years ago - we literally live at opposite ends of the country so it doesn't happen often - and the conversation turned to all of the stupid things we'd done as kids and how Dad swore up and down he could not have produced such a bunch of idiots.
    At 55-65 years old one of us is a long-haul trucker, one is a LASC deputy, one is a retired service member and one is a machinist. Only one of us is missing a finger (not the machinist). None of us has been in prison or addicted to any substances. All of us have been working since we were 16-18 years old. I'd say we turned out ok.
    OP needs to understand, Every generation has been disappointed by it's successor. I can't prove it but I'd bet people have been disgusted by the abject stupidity of the 'next generation' for a few thousand years at least.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

When criticising today's youth, one should ask who taught them in their schools? Who created the entertainment they consumed? Who built many of the apps they use? It is older folks who enabled the environment that produced today's youth.

So, where is the anger towards those who failed to do their job?

I am almost 50 years old by the way.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    When criticising today's youth, one should ask who taught them in their schools? Who created the entertainment they consumed? Who built many of the apps they use? It is older folks who enabled the environment that produced today's youth.

So, where is the anger towards those who failed to do their job?

I am almost 50 years old by the way.
    The "Greatest Generation" gave us the hippies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Every generation has been disappointed by it's successor. I can't prove it but I'd bet people have been disgusted by the abject stupidity of the 'next generation' for a few thousand years at least.
    “Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.” Socrates, circa 470BC.

Boolit Master

They're giving reloading a try. If someone doesn't know anyone who can show them, using youtube is a good substitute. Basic reloading isn't complicated nor expensive to get into.

Maybe they find they hate it or love it or it's ok. Maybe they quit reloading, maybe the reload everything they shoot or maybe reload when there is a good option for them and buy otherwise.

I come from a long line of reloaders. When I got a .410 when I was 10 years old it came with the Lee Loader, primers, powder and shot. When my uncle delivered it he loaded a round, had my pa load a round and then I reloaded a round. Then they went to talking about whatever and I loaded ammo. Not anything more than could have been seen on a video. After that with rifle reloading all I was told was which Lee scoop to use with the powder.

Of course all or most of us have learned many details about reloading since that first round, but someone starting out doesn't have to know all of that to load perfectly good ammo.

Am in late 70’s and have been disposing of many things from my life long shooting sports pastime. Seems that all of my “customers “ are pretty well experienced. When I get a good price for a firearm, I usually throw in some ammo, dies, cases, powder, or bullets, etc. Have not noticed any situation where weak buyer is trying to buy something they know nothing about.

Boolit Master
    I started reloading knowing nothing about it,and in those days ,buying shooting magazines was way beyond any family budget......we got the daily newspaper,and it had a second use when read .....The very first shiny color picture gun magazine I bought came from a second hand bookstore,and before that I didnt know you could buy such an expensive magazine about guns.

Boolit Master

Que sera, sera.

Some will learn and be great, some will piddle around and lose interest, a very few will blow up their guns (and hopefully only injure their pride).
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

I hope it slows down soon. I been after a spare Lyman 8 station turret. For some time now. Sure they have them on feebay. But im not paying inflated prices. So the wait continues.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedsterguy View Post
    I was told many years ago that somethings are (idiot proof). Sadly they are building better idiots. Some of the current contestants, could break a anvil with a tooth brush
    Or a tungsten carbide ball with a rubber mallet. Stronger faster idiots. I won't swear they're better!

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    well it will happen when we have a change of presidents.

Hatch ... had a few St Patty's Day drinks with a good buddy of yours tonight, good friend of mine ... at his old pub in BL. You gave him a 1911 ... one of my favorite guys. He said to tell you hello.

You and I need to meet soon Brother although you are quite a bit younger than I. He spoke of you as if you are a cast boolits god.

AF
    What you think about you do ... what you do, you become.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    “Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.” Socrates, circa 470BC.
    Well there it is. Thanks!
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I got into reloading when my best friend quit reloading and gave me all of his equipment. The first thing I did was buy several reloading books and read, read, read. I also went to different websites and read up on the information they had. My first reloads were 357 magnum and I can still remember that first shot, not knowing if it was going blow up my Ruger or actually fire like it was supposed to.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Rock Chucker master kit in about 1995. Came with a Speer reloading manual that had excellent instructions. Got me off and running right. Learning casting was more of a challenge.

The younger generation will figure it out when someone else stops doing it for them.
    “You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching,” Robert Darwin told his son, “and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.” Yet the feckless boy is everywhere. Charles Darwin gets so much credit, we can’t distinguish evolution from him.

Boolit Master

I started out as 15 or 16 yo dummy, no clue how to do anything. After a while, with plenty of reading, figured it out. Laid off a couple of years, got back. Been doing it ever since, can't see why they can't do it, if they want.
    B
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    OP – I’m “old” and I really do understand your frustration on this – but you need to take a step back, get a cup of coffee and take a deep breath...
    Always good advice. And you are right on, there are some good kids out there too. Just like the news focuses on the bad things, the information we see is focused on the worst of the current generation too.

God Bless

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm