RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you weigh

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The way I look at it is if I am separating down to one grain increments and I get large groups or fliers I can al least eliminate the “boolit weight” variable out of my equation when trying to figure out my issue.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I’m going for max accuracy I weigh, but only sometimes for plinking rounds.

Boolit Bub
    When I was competing ( along time ago, town police against other town police in the county) I would cast a batch of 5-6 hundred .38's, cull wrinkled, etc. Then use my digital scale to divide the heads into 10 gr packages. Then select a couple of the lowest and highest groups for practice only, and store the rest, by weight to be loaded on lots.

Seemed to work pretty well. Benched testing showed tight 10 shot groups.
    LouB

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    No ... handgun calibers
    Yes ... all long arm calibers except 22RF I reload and 45 Colts
    Do a Bell Curve sort and put them in the trays by increasing weights. Those outside 5gr variance ... back in the pot
    Regards
    John

Just started weighing the Bullets, keep them about 5 gr variance , since I started doing this I’ve noticed quite a few that weighed really heavey , got to make a difference in accuracy I believe

Boolit Grand Master
    Win33, Welcome aboard.

With a 5 grain variance, I think you will find you weren't quite closing the mold all the way on those particular bullets. As you gain experience, your weights will become closer together.

Myself, I don't weigh frequently. I will weigh some from the first run of a new to me mold, just to ensure I am using the correct data. For instance my Lyman 452460 typically weigh 205-207 from the batch of WW I was using at that time. That was from three different molds too, two double cavity one four cavity. they are close enough to the intended 200 grain that I can't tell any difference in my handheld 1911.

Plinking? Same answer.

Long range rifle competition? Then I would probably weigh them.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    You can get a +/- 0.1 gr digital scale quite reasonably. I got two just in case I kill one. You just have to watch them as some do grain/grams and carets, while some only do grams and carets. They were under $15 bucks a piece when I bought mine.

I sort boolets using lunch meat boxes then store them by weight in baggies marked with a sharpie. O'course I only do .30s.

First time I ever weighed my bullets to compare, my 350gr 45-70 bullets that get sub-moa groups in the CVA Hunter, no matter what the powder charge; are on the extreme side, 3 grains different.

Edit:
    ...and that is just the last 10 bullets of the bunch.
    Last edited by Win94ae; 03-19-2021 at 04:45 PM. Reason: additional information

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    First time I ever weighed my bullets to compare, my 350gr 45-70 bullets that get sub-moa groups in the CVA Hunter, no matter what the powder charge; are on the extreme side, 3 grains different.

Edit:
    ...and that is just the last 10 bullets of the bunch.
    Sub MOA, with a dirt cheap spanish single shot, with any load? Must be a lot of 1 shot groups.