Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best boolit shape for reliable feeding in 9mm,10mm and 45acp

Boolit Buddy

What is the best boolit shape for reliable feeding in 9mm,10mm and 45acp

Getting all my stuff together to start,so far I have acquired about 350lbs of lead and just ordered a new lee furnace so I'm looking at dies
    Probably going with NOE because they are local to me and yes I know I will be waiting but I would like to get some on order.
    Probably want a 4-6 cavity 9mm and 2-4 for the others

Boolit Grand Master

Well, round nose bullets have fed 100% in all my semi-auto pistols. One of my first molds was a Lyman #452374. I have 3, 45 Auto guns and can't remember a single failure to feed. Also use a Lee 452-230-TC that has given me no problems either. For my 9mms I have a favorite; Lee 358-125-RF that feeds reliably in 4, 9mm pistols. Don't own a 40/10mm so I can't comment on that...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee truncated nose molds for the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I prefer the conventional lube groove bullets since I size and lube. The Lee 356-120-TC drops large enough I can also size and lube for 38/357 mag. It is a little heavy for me to recommend it for the 380 ACP.

Boolit Grand Master
    Most semi-auto pistols are designed to run best with round nosed ammunition. For best 9 mm feeding, I endorse the Lyman 356-242, 122 grain version. Seated to 1.065," even "no-throat" SIG'S run well with it. Likewise, the 452-374 or one of the similar designs, e.g. H&G 34, RCBS 45-230 RN, NOE 454-237 RN AC4 etc would be my choice for reliable feeding in 45 ACP pistols.

Since you mentioned NOE, try the 358-128 PB, very similar to the Lyman 356-242, For the 40/10 mm I'd try the NOE 402-181 RN X4, and for my 45's; 454-237 RN AC4 Get 4 or 5 cavity molds, you'll be glad you did later .
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Without question, the round nose boolit. I have round nosed boolits in all the calibers you mention including one for 40 cal. They work perfectly in all my semi autos.
    The TC design is a very close second. The RF designs are a very close third.

With 40 S&W/10mm I have been shooting this one:
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...2-188-wfn-bv1/

And for 10mm with full power loads this one (without the lube grove):
    http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...ullet=40-180BG

With 40 S&W, I shoot the 402-188 wfn with all configs: cup/hollow point/flat nose and I have never had a failure to feed in a Glock 35 with a KKM barrel. My goto load is 7.9 grain of AA7 at a COL of 1.125" with this boolit and it shoots / cycles perfectly. I've shot 10s of thousands of rounds of these.

EDIT:
    I feel like the cup points have the best accuracy, but the full hollow point and flat point shoot great.
    Last edited by 44Blam; 02-18-2021 at 02:31 AM.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks 44Blam I like the looks of those

Boolit Master
    Round nose for sure.
    I've had decent results with TC bullets but only in the heavier weights. When they're too light, because the lighter TC profiles have a relatively small nose, the front band is more of a step or shoulder and it doesn't feed.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    The original 9mm loading was a TC style bullet. But, the Germans got complaints that it was too effective(deadly?), and then changed it to a round nose bullet to be more humane. I have both a SWC and a TC style bullet for my 10mm. The TC feeds smoother, but I think that the SWC style is a better design, as it transfers more energy to the target. The same would go with 9mm and 45 acp. If your gun will handle SWC style bullets without Failures To Feed, I would much rather use them than a Round Nose.

Well round nose feeds in anything, regardless of caliber or platform. Next up would be a RN with small flat point.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Just got back from visiting the NOE store I have settled on his 135gr smooth boolit style mold for 9mm now just have to wait until they are in stock,by the way he is a very nice guy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Well round nose feeds in anything, regardless of caliber or platform. Next up would be a RN with small flat point.
    Umm....not in a S&W 52.
    NRA Benefactor.

Why did you decide on the 135gr smooth boolit style NOE ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I have the Lee truncated nose molds for the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I prefer the conventional lube groove bullets since I size and lube. The Lee 356-120-TC drops large enough I can also size and lube for 38/357 mag. It is a little heavy for me to recommend it for the 380 ACP.
    Like Dusty, I have had great luck with the Lee and other maker TC designs with one exception. That would be the Lee 452-230 TC in a Para Ordnance double stack 1911. That particular gun does not have a feed ramp integrated into the barrel and they get hung up on the transition into the throat. If your gun has a feed ramp as part of the barrel, I would imagine you'd be just fine.

Also, for 9mm the Lee 356-120 TC is a classic...HOWEVER the TL (tumble lube) has had a lot of complaints. If you are going with NOE, you won't have the issues from that particular mold.

I liken the TC design to be very similar to the shape of my defense ammo which is Hornady Critical Duty/Defense.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by thorswhisper View Post
    Why did you decide on the 135gr smooth boolit style NOE ?
    I liked how it looks

Boolit Master

For .45 ACP, my two choices would be either the Lee 45-230TC or the good ol' H&G 68 SWC. Currently, I've got five 1911s...ranging from an as-issued Remington-Rand to a full-house IPSC 'race gun'...and all feed both boolits reliably. Haven't really needed to do much developement for the 9mms. My old Hi-Power feeds anything with a profile similar to NATO ball and I haven't tried anything in my SIG 365XL other than Speer 124 gr. Gold Dots (my 'carry' load) and Lee 358-125RFs (a very similar profile to the Speers) I use for practice...both feed without a hiccup and are very accurate.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Just starting out? I'd recommend RN at first. Once you get the hang of it then try experimenting with different bullet types.

These days it is more of take what you can get. I know Accurate molds has a 2 month wait list. I just got a new mold from him last week. NOE is whatever is in stock. If you want one that is not then call and ask for it. If he gets enough requests he may move it up in the production schedule. I like Lee's 6 cavity molds but they are really hard to find right now.

Boolit Master
    If you have certain guns you will use these in that might get you better suggestions if you name them , some pistols have no throat so some RN bullets have to be seated deep to chamber. Some molds have a small shoulder where the ogive starts that will let them chamber in barrels that the rifling starts right at the chamber.
    Last edited by onelight; 02-20-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    What guns are you shooting?

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE 359-129g no lube grove mold. It does not like to be sized base down in a Lyman sizer. They come out with the nose not centered. It does not seem to have an effect on accurracy at 20yds.

Some of these style are much easier to size nose first. Just my experience