Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 8x56R mold and sizer die selection

Boolit Master

8x56R mold and sizer die selection

I got out my two examples of M-95 Hungarian rifles, one a carbine and the other a long rifle, both made by Steyr, and decided to reload for them again. I have boxer primer cases and Hornady 0.330", 205 grain jacketed projectiles for them, but of course would prefer to shoot cast projectiles. I have read numerous messages about shooting these, but have not come to a conclusion on selection of projectile molds or source of these odd sized sizer dies. Right now I am looking at the LEE MOULD C338-220-1R DOUBLE CAVITY, but I am at a loss of how to get a sizer die of about 0.334" for my RCBS LAM-II or Lyman #45 sizers. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a little help to offer, but somewhat discouraging in content. First, are you looking at the correct mold? Lee does make a mold specifically for 8x56Rmm Hungarian, but it is a .329" diameter, # C 329-205-IR. I have two of them and cast up a couple of hundred boolits and gas checked them. I did not size them because I've got 5 of these little monster carbines, and no two of them have barrels that slug the same. So I fired them as-cast, and the results were disappointing. This was about 2008. I phoned Lee and chatted with one of their techs and described the problem. I almost died laughing when he said, "Yeah, I can't get them to shoot well either." You'd need one of their # 90934 sizer/lubers. Unless you've got another source like a dealer with old stock on his shelves you're going to have a tough time getting this stuff right now. Lee's website shows the sold out of almost everything in the bullet casting department.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the Lee .329 mold and a .334 sizer wouldn't touch the bullets that come out of it.

If you need them that big it's likely going to be a few coats of powder coating or a different mold. Or could look at paper patching a normal diameter 8mm bullet.

Edit: Oops. Going too fast and misread the mold you are planning to use. Aren't there a couple guys out there that make custom sizers in any size you want? No idea who could do it in a reasonable time though.

Boolit Grand Master

I think it is NOE that now has the Frankenstein design that was accidently almost perfectly designed for the 1895 Steyr. You will need probably a .366"/367" sizer - which conveniently is the same size as the 9mmMak - the Makarov cartridge. So the bits and pieces are there. If it is NOE that has that design you will have to check with him to see what size gas check he is current cutting.

Buckshot once posted the convoluted story of the design of that boolit.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Size you bore first.
    These rifles have bore sizes all over the place.
    I have the Lee mold, and it was to small.
    Opened it up a few thousands, and it's fine now.
    Haven't tried to powder coat it.
    Shoots fine plain.

Boolit Master

I actually bought the Lee mould and sizer and then realized it was probably not going to work well and never used them. I was patient and waited for Al at NOE to make the "Frankenstien" mould. I also picked up a .334" sizer insert for the NOE push through sizer. Tried some regular lubed bullets initially but quickly went to coating them. I started out with some lite red dot loads @ 50 yds. and saw some decent short range accuracy so I knew the bullet was engaging the riffling. I then started shooting further with Aliant 2400 loads and continued with decent accuracy. Still having to use the iron sights but I am able to bang steel plates out to 300 yds. so I am happy with it. I would like to work up a more powerful load for it someday using a slower case filing load of 4350 or something like that.

In this pic you can see was when I first started testing the bullet. I found I could seat it out a few lube grooves and it worked great. The neck is so short on the brass I am not losing any tension and there is less bullet in the case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M95 Actionammo web.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	277115

Here is a better pic of the bullet as cast and with a GC and coated in HiTek. Also the bullet loaded in a case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Franken bullet web.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	277116