Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMCD ProductsTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt

Boolit Master

45 Colt

Here's my favorites for this caliber.
    For a moderate load with suprising power, try a 300 grain boolit over 6.5 grains of RED DOT. I get 900fps and OUTSTANDING accuracy from my 5.5" blackhawk.
    For a full power, hard hitting, LARGE game hunting load, I use the same boolit over 18 grains of 2400. A word of caution about this load. Keep an eye on your gripframe screws. This load generates enough recoil that if they are loose and the grip can flex, it WILL crack the gripframe over time. This is not a plinking load, but if you're headed out to kill a moose,elk, bear, etc... it WILL get the job done.(I shot through 2 hogs with one of these last year)
    For a load that will whistle right through any whitetail or medium game, try the classic 9 grains of UNIQUE under a 255 grain Keith SWC. I shot an antelope 2 years ago with this load and it penetrated diagonally lengthwise. The previous FOUR shots that I took and missed at the SAME antelope at 40 yards, made impressive holes in the prairie.(Nothing like handgun hunting to keep you humble)
    For a nice sedate target load, for rolling cans or busting rocks, I use 6.5 grains of RED DOT under a 255 keith swc. I get 850 fps from my blackhawk, and sub 1" groups at 25 yards. This is also the load I'd suggest to anyone who has a lady or youngster hunting with a 45COLT levergun.
    The recoil and blast from this load makes a 243 seem like a 416 rigby in comparison.
    The above mentioned 6.5 grain load with RED DOT and a 300 grain boolit is also a GREAT hunting load from a carbine.
    I've had lots of people doubt it's power due to the low blast and recoil. I change their minds when I have my daughter blow a hole clear through an 8" tree with them.
    18.5 grains of 2400 under a 255 keith swc is another classic I've played with. Velocity runs around 1100fps from my blackhawk and 1500 from my win 94 carbine. I'm a cheap SOB and don't shoot this load much, as I can get nearly the same velocity from other loads that use less powder.
    For a fun small game load I load a tumble lubed .454 round ball over 5 grains of RED DOT. I get 590fps and itsy bitsy groups from it. I recoils about like a 22rf from my carbine and is my daughters favorite load. I've shot a few grouse with it from my blackhawk and it puts them down nicely, and doesn't rip up the meat like a SWC does.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Buddy
    Good information Dan. I agree that RedDot - GreenDot too - is largely ignored by pistol shooters. Many regularly use Bullseye, then skip all the way up to Unique. I discovered how good those two are when I had some leftover from shotshell loading and had run out of Unique.

How do you get the round ball to stay put in the .45 Colt case - particularly in the tubular mag. of your carbine?

xtm

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range

Good stuff Dan. I have a Ruger Blackhawk 45 convertible. I have never had the 45 Colt cylinder in it, but your post may change that! If only my gun had the 5.5" barrel I wanted instead of the 4.5" it came with. Sad part is it's a shooter so I don't want to change the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Great post, Dan. Thanks for the information.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xtimberman View Post
    Good information Dan. I agree that RedDot - GreenDot too - is largely ignored by pistol shooters. Many regularly use Bullseye, then skip all the way up to Unique. I discovered how good those two are when I had some leftover from shotshell loading and had run out of Unique.

How do you get the round ball to stay put in the .45 Colt case - particularly in the tubular mag. of your carbine?

xtm
    I screw the seating stem all the way down as far as it will go, and adjust the die to crimp also.
    This puts the ball DEEP inside the case.
    Some leverguns will feed this round from the mag. I just single load them for kids to plink with.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    I too like Red Dot in the .45 Colt. I keep my loads down in the Colt safe range & have no trouble reaching 800/850fps with a good cast 45-270SA. That's enough for most shooting. Frank
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master

must be something about red dot! I also use it in my 45 bisley blackhawk. 7.3 grs with a 452460 boolit. 1020 av velocity,AND, it shoots ragged hole groups!

Boolit Bub
    You can't beat Titegroup. 7.0 grs gives around 900fps with the 270 SAA. 7.5 gives 950 and 8.0 gives about 1015 from a 4 5/8' bbl, all with excellent accuracy and no position sensitivity.

Boolit Master

I've used 12-15# of RD in the 45 colt over the years. Mainly for the CAS game, my wife shoots a sheriffs model Uberti 45, off hand, using 4.0gr RD and a Saeco 255rf cowboy boolet.
    She loves the 45C as do I.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Would 6.5gr of Red Dot work well behind a 250LRN (45 Colt)?

I've got a box of those as well as a box of 300gr LTCFP (that I bought for only $23.00 a few short years ago).

I've been having serious problems finding Unique, but seems there is Red Dot everywhere and I'd love to know that this powder works well with the 250's and 300's.
    "Those who know how to build their own homes, grow their own food, hunt and slaughter animals for meat, and have a healthy balance of hope and cynicism for humanity will be the ones left at the end, not some 350 pound fatass with a cache of AR's."

Hullo , lots of good stuff for the 45 colt & different boolits & powders, it is always nice to hear what other are using, I keep mine full of 250 KT's with 18 gr 2400, not bad...but some of the liter loads look interesting..Thanks Again
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Banned

redot works great with 250s. 5-7 grains depending on how mild you like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMat View Post
    Would 6.5gr of Red Dot work well behind a 250LRN (45 Colt)?

I've got a box of those as well as a box of 300gr LTCFP (that I bought for only $23.00 a few short years ago).

I've been having serious problems finding Unique, but seems there is Red Dot everywhere and I'd love to know that this powder works well with the 250's and 300's.

Thanks Lloyd. So I take it that 7 grains is about as hot as you want to go with a 250? Same goes for a 300?
    "Those who know how to build their own homes, grow their own food, hunt and slaughter animals for meat, and have a healthy balance of hope and cynicism for humanity will be the ones left at the end, not some 350 pound fatass with a cache of AR's."

In Remembrance

over 30 years

Hey Dan. Glad you agree with me on the 6.5 gr. of Red Dot loading. I`ve been using that charge as my everyday go-to load with a RCBS 255 gr. ww ac boolit. It works very well in my 5.5" Ruger convertable as well in the 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk. I break the mold as what constitutes a carry weapon as I carry the 5.5" convertable. I want to end an arguement now not 6 shots later. Robert

Boolit Master
    Yes I'm a bullseye user an my load is 6 to 6.5grs. behind 255gr. lee and 225 and 200gr. lee boolit --- Good performance. Not abusive.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info Dan
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4ww View Post
    You can't beat Titegroup. 7.0 grs gives around 900fps with the 270 SAA. 7.5 gives 950 and 8.0 gives about 1015 from a 4 5/8' bbl, all with excellent accuracy and no position sensitivity.
    I agree,

I love it in my Ruger.... Cast 300 gr, not a bad kick, but it lets you know that you are shooting a 45 LC.

Clint
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy

6.8 gr. W231 under a 255 gr cast is a great load at around 850 and accurate from my 7.5" blackhawk

Boolit Master

Dan got any suggestions for that 300 grain bullet with any other powder suggestions besides red dot? Just curious. I got some of the 255 grain pills you sent me loaded up with 8 grains of Unique now I am looking for a load for the 300 grain ones for my Encore 45/410 barrel. Powders I have on hand are Unique, 2400 and HP38.
    Last edited by jh45gun; 03-05-2009 at 01:36 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Man
    my hunting load is a 330 kieth over 16 grains of lil' gun kicks like a mule, hits like freight train
    it put a huge dent in 3/8 plate at 50 yards man what a rush
    and it dropps right out of the cylinder like a cowboy load

my new years resolution is to have a more positve outlook but that doesn't mean i cann't expect the @%&#*%@ worst