Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't ship.

Boolit Buddy
    I sent probably 25 lbs of cast boolits to my brother last year. I bagged them and duct taped the bags. Then I placed the bags in the FR box and filled it level with cat litter. Weight didn't matter and the littler keeps the heavy stuff from shifting around and busting out of the box. I tried bubble wrap and packing paper but neither does much to keep lead from shifting around.

Boolit Master
    I shipped four boxes of 180 gr sierra projectiles and something else in a SFRB. It was heavy!! The usps postal clerk asked what was I shipping and I told her machine parts. Another time I shipped a box to Australia. mtm boxes, loading blocks, dies, etc. It was at least as big as a wine carton. I had to fill out a customs form. Where it asked for contents, I wrote hobby supplies, not shooting supplies. On the box to Australia I used reinforced tape. It had the fly screen pattern in it.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to ship up to 70 pounds in boxes, and never lost one,
    the boxes were taped with fiberglass tape, and clear shipping tape over it.

We never lost one,,

We shipped up to 150 pounds UPS,, but, when it went over 70 pounds, we used 3/4" wide steel banding.

The only thing we ever lost that was steel banded was some trailer tires banded to a pallet,,
    They really had to work at it to get the tires,, but,, some people can not be stopped.

We shipped like that for 12 years,, virtually zero lost.
    Heck, some of the stuff went by mail, then by Greyhound (or whatever) into Canada,, and made it.

Boolit Master
    I do the same as metricmonkeywrench, vacuum seal, lots of bubble wrap. Tape the box with fiberglass-reinforced tape. The only box that didn't make it wasn't packed correctly. My bad. Learned my lesson quickly.

Boolit Master
    You all Know the Postal Regulation " Do not Throw packages over 30 Feet, Fragile packages 20 feet"
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Banned

Well, on top of wraping it in tape, I also will be packing it till it can't move. Thats how I used to do it but I unfortunately got too trusting of the USPS.

Boolit Master

This concerns UPS and not USPS.
    I ordered a desktop computer recently. I found the box on my porch after delivery. It had a nice clean hole in the side of the box. I thought it was a handhold to carry the box. Upon closer examination it was something that punctured the box. I immediately took pictures of the box and shipping label before I brought it in the house. I took pictures of how the bubble wrap was pierced as I unpack the computer.
    It appeared as the the box had been hit and pierced by the fork of a forklift. By the way the UPS driver delivered the package and left even though I was home.
    Luckily the computer just received a scratch in the paint. I contacted the seller to inform him and he went back on UPS trying to receive damages. UPS has a policy that to claim damages, pictures need to be per their protocol. Pictures must include three sides of the package from certain angles. Then another picture to show the three remaining sides. Something that the average guy would not do.
    I had discarded the box in the time that UPS got back to the seller. What do I need to keep a large box with a hole in the side?
    Long story short UPS would do nothing because plain pictures of the box and shipping label did not meet their ridiculous requirements. As with the USPS, The UPS insurance is a joke.

Moderator Emeritus

Standard procedure for a flat rate box is to tape all inside seams, then all outside seams. Brass should be packed so it doesn't rattle and write RATTLE OK across the box.
    I had some gas checks held up because they were obviously broken. Any brass shipped should be bagged and taped.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

People are funny (I’m being nice.) when it comes to packaging. I get lead shipped to me in a lot of different ways. Most of the time it survives.

I think it is important to make the inside product secure, then add extra tape around the outside of the box.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.