WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 9mm extreme defender loads

Boolit Mold

9mm extreme defender loads

I’ve looked at the load data for Lehigh defense 9mm 90 grain bullet ( I do cast my own this is for wife’s gun in the woods) and just don’t have the powders on hand to get this bullet up to speed. I’ve always done well with unique and I also have 800 x was hoping someone out has some load data for unique first, 800 x second. Unique looks to be right in the good burn range and have used it for my best 147 gr loads. I do have some hs6 on the way if it’s really in stock (can’t always tell w cabelas ). Any help would be appreciated. I learned to use unlisted powders during the last shortage but these bullets are so different I’m looking for already tested loads. That being said I’ll be working up a unique load either way

Boolit Buddy

Those powders may be a little bit slow for what your trying to accomplish might be worth getting some red dot or tight group

Boolit Master
    Lehigh did have load data on their site or did have I Have SEEN It.

My old speer 11 manual list unique for their 88 gr hp and the 95 gr fmj

88 gr HP start is 6.1 gr , max is 6.5 gr at 1405 fps

95 gr fmj rn start is 6.1 gr max is 6.8 gr at 1295 fps
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I just went to their site and I saw it.

Boolit Mold
    I’ve got Lehighs load data just have unique and 800 x on hand in decent supply. I did get some HS6 today from cabelas so should be able to work up one of their fast loads. I still plan to work up a unique load it’s my absolute go to. Sierra shows 7.5 gr unique for their 90 gr and 7.7 hs6 so I gotta believe it’s doable. Wife’s arthritis keeps her from shooting anything bigger and we spend a fair amount of time in big bear country so I hope these lehighs live up to what I’ve seen. I’m a large flat nosed piece of lead kinda guy so that’s what I roll with.

I would think it's a matter of what load, for the handgun, can your wife control with accuracy. With a stressful situation, accuracy will suffer and increased recoil may exacerbate the stress. The best load may not be the most accurate or the fastest load but one your wife can control in a stressful situation. Have a nice day.
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Mold
    I picked up a shield ez as her Christmas present. She can rack the slide effectively so can at least get it loaded. While I would like her to be able to shoot max I realize maybe not. I chose the 90 gr and I really figure if she can handle 1300’ FPS with that bullet all is good. I’ve only shot the pistol to test it and I would say it does have reduced recoil with the factory herters ammo compared to my Taurus. I’ve got some old hornady 90 gr loaded somewhere from the last ammo shortage that should be a little milder to start with and work her up to what she can handle. The only real max loads I shoot are out of my rifles(max is where they are most accurate) and 10mm. The rest of my herd runs below max where they are accurate and shootable. Thanks for all the tips I’ll be letting you all know how it works out and what she settles on. The last thing I would do is make a load for me and just expect her to shoot it.

Boolit Master
    While this has been discussed, hashed out, and described remember the Lehigh bullet is ALL copper alloy and is LONGER than a CUP AND CORE bullet so load data maynot be the same or even close with the Lehigh bullet which is .580 to .590" length.
    Check out what you are doing BEFORE doing it load data wise.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks good data. Most all my load manuals show unique in 9mm Lehigh just doesn’t show it. I’ve got decent supply of titegroup for practice rounds just no bullseye. I’ve used long shot but really not fond of it in the 9. I’m using that in my 10 for lead pc bullets I cast and it shines pretty good there being more accurate than the 800x but not quite as good as #9 with jacketed. Moving has most all my reload stuff put up but I’ll be breaking it out before we start going to property this spring. I have blacks and griz running around along w wolves and lions. We pick a fair amount of huckleberries mid summer so I have some time to get her a load and get practiced. And before anyone suggests bear spray I personally work with a young man that was mauled pretty badly after accurately emptying a can of bear spray in the bears face. Griz are becoming increasingly aggressive (opinion) and bear spray may be more humane but is not as effective as touted. I read an article some time back that followed actual bear/ human w gun encounters and only 1 instance did the person not survive and they found the empty 38 but no good shots were placed.

Boolit Buddy
    I personally know mike Cyrus from Lehigh defense (I work for them as a tester) I will call him tomorrow and see what they load it with

Boolit Mold
    I’ve got some Underwood w Lehigh 90 grain to be my baseline for case condition and ejection distance. I pay a lot of attention to how far and how close together cases land. I have no way to measure pressure but I’ve seen through my chrono that when my loads get close to factory velocity the cases land in about the same place. This seems especially true in my 10. When I hit around 1250 with a 180 fp my cases were dropping right where sig sauer cases would land ( 30’) and case/ primer condition also similar. I’ll look forward to any info you can get me. I’m excited about the Lehigh bullet it looks like it will give me a little peace of mind once I’ve got a load for my wife. She’s really excited too hope to get to our local range or at least out in woods to shoot at some cheap stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Mike texted me back and said they use silhouette powder in the 90grn bullets

Boolit Mold
    Awsome info. I’ll try to find some as hopefully things get more available (if they do). That’s right in the burn rate of titegroup so I feel pretty good about working up a load with that. To me the faster powders seem to have a sharper recoil than slower powders but don’t know that to be true. I’m my 44 mag 11.5 gr unique runs a 240 gr swc to 1250 with sharp recoil and 23.3 gr 296 runs a 240 xtp to 1250 also but doesn’t feel as sharp on the hands. 5 years ago I wouldn’t have noticed but as I’ve aged some seem to feel it more. That’s why I’m in transition to the 10 not as much power but much easier to shoot for practice. I’ll let you know how my hs6 loads work out soon as o get my reload stuff back out.

Boolit Master
    I think you are on the right track...

If you have not seen this video, it is pretty well done. I carry the Xtreme Defender in my .38 Super Commander and it runs 1560, 1640 from a 5" GM. I also now carry the 9mm +P+ in a G19...supposed to be running 1530...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJcJ8LQFbQ&t=349s

Bob