Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here comes winter...

Boolit Master

Here comes winter...

Hi...
    I live in southcentral Pennsylvania and winter has finally arrived.
    Yesterday it was 58°F and windy. Overnight it began to rain and cooled off to the upper 30s with heavy rain. About 9:30 this morning it transitioned over to snow and it is starting to pile up. By noon, it was about an inch deep and it has covered the roads in front of The Estate.
    Had the Labs out for a little run and they just loved the snow...me, not so much.

Wednesday the professional weather liars are predicting a snow event that may reach 2-3 feet of snow with high winds, drifting snow and widespread power outages.
    Basically, the end of civilization as we know it.
    My wife who has multiple weeks of vacation available to use, is stressing out about how she is going to get to work on Wednesday. Me??? I am retired and ain't going anywhere on Wednesday. My biggest concern is when I will decide to start running the snowblower. I just might stay in bed Wednesday...

Hope it stays over on your side ! Weather channel is claiming 3-5 inch for us in south western Pa.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I'm not ready for that!!!

We had some sort of front come through yesterday and it got down to about 40.
    I've had enough winter and cold weather for this year.
    I'm ready for Summer to come back.

And there's hope.
    After next week, we'll be getting closer to Summer every day, instead of farther away from it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Last Wednesday - Friday hit 68 in the afternoon. I sat on patio with a cocktail. Almost a foot of snow over the weekend. This morning's low was 14. High to be 35. Overcast. Winter is already here.

We had mild weather the last few years. I think the last big snow we had in Greene County was in 87. That year we got 43 inches, snow drifts where as high across the roads as high as the locust post. Hope it isn’t as bad for you said, stay safe.
    Last edited by Deakota57; 12-14-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    It takes more than just reading, to prepare a young soldier for battle.
    Your experience means the world to the young.

Boolit Master

Weds-Thursday .Might be a bigger snow fall. My son went to put the plow on the ATV. He discovered the plow mount fell off. So the boys will be shoveling. I can't do much with my leg to help. I never thought recovery would take so long. Getting old is not for sissies.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes it approaches. Here in the desert of AZ we are seeing highs in the low to mid 60's and lows down in the mid 30's.

That is "winter" in our neck of the woods.

Oh...............and normally mostly clear blue skies!

It is supposed to be a really rough one for the eastern US this season, per several weather sources and the Old Farmer's Almanac.

I will be right out there with you...................shoveling sunshine! HA.....ha!

Boolit Master
    Going to snow bird at my sister in laws in Tucson is looking better and better.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Here in NH we start to think a real snowstorm is anything over a foot.
    Anything less and it is just a dusting.
    Last storm was 8"....hardly worth mentioning.
    We peacefully co-exist with winter up here.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Last night it went down to -7 and I have about 4'' of snow in my driveway. I'm at 6300 ft elevation, we get 100'' of snow and -26 degrees. It gets so cold it makes my eyeballs hurt. I'd crawl over broken glass to be back in LA....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Last night it went down to -7 and I have about 4'' of snow in my driveway. I'm at 6300 ft elevation, we get 100'' of snow and -26 degrees. It gets so cold it makes my eyeballs hurt. I'd crawl over broken glass to be back in LA....
    LA? Louisiana, Lower Alabama, Los Alamos, surely not Los Angeles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deakota57 View Post
    We had mild weather the last few years. I think the last big snow we had in Greene County was in 87. That year we got 43inches. That was bad enough. Hope it isn’t as bad for you said, stay safe.
    Year before last we had 48" in two days. Took me 4 days to clear sidewalk and parking spot. I don't move so fast now that I'm past 66. Been dreaming of a snow blower for Christmas.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    We only had one decent snow last year here in southcentral Pennsylvania.
    Might have been 6-8"...really don't remember.
    The big one is apparently on its way for Wednesday...snowblower is tested, gassed up and ready.
    I will test run the kerosene heater tomorrow just in case we have a power outage.

We get one of these epic end of the world snowstorms every few years. Civilization always seems to bounce back in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Hi...
    We only had one decent snow last year here in southcentral Pennsylvania.
    Might have been 6-8"...really don't remember.
    The big one is apparently on its way for Wednesday...snowblower is tested, gassed up and ready.
    I will test run the kerosene heater tomorrow just in case we have a power outage.

We get one of these epic end of the world snowstorms every few years. Civilization always seems to bounce back in a day or two.
    Yup....we will probably be on the northern edge of the same storm as it passes out to sea south of us on the MA coastline and over the Cape. 6" or so for us.
    A mere dusting......
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Well I am in Indiana, just got the snow blower out and fired it up and let it run for a bit, just wanted to be ready!
    Aim Small Miss Small

Boolit Master
    -11 this morning. 6.5" fresh snow. I'm loving this, truly sick of seeing new migrant idiots complain about the roads and weather. Hope it's -45 tomorrow with 30" of fresh snow!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Winter comes and goes every few days here between December and March- if it comes. I love this time of year.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Supposed to go to about 30-35 degrees overnight here in Louisiana. Unusual to get that cold this early in winter. used to be swimming in the pool at Christmas. Still have a couple work coats from the job in plastic bags just in case. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

We had snow yesterday morning, maybe an inch if that. 3/4 mile down the mountain and nothing. Got a picture of the snow line on our mountain. Looks nice. Expected to get 12-18" tomorrow and Thursday. Normally I would have just made sure had enough food and stayed in for a week or two as I am retired. Girlfriend moved in this year and is off tomorrow and has to work Thursday. Spent yesterday getting backhoe and such ready so I can get her down to the main road 3/4 away. Fun. Good luck folks.