WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Javelina

Boolit Buddy
    I,very got a suggestion I bet you haven,t tried yet...how about a BLOW gun.��

Hot and dry so a 243 sized and an auto loader for charges if you get close. Thermal binos?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I see them quite often here in Paulden. I worked at a hotel in Prescott a couple yrs back. People would leave food on the patio, and we’d get a herd of the beasts back there. I used to chase them off. I never found them aggressive. Enjoy the hunt, Larry.

Boolit Master

Buckshot.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I used a win 70 chambered in .375 H & H with a 270 grain hornady spire point. Got a boar �� in the south Texas brush at about 15’ on a nice warm December day. Spent a while skinning it while his fleas jumped off onto me. Stunk unreal. Not a pleasant experience. I did not feel undergunned.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I used a win 70 chambered in .375 H & H with a 270 grain hornady spire point. Got a boar �� in the south Texas brush at about 15’ on a nice warm December day. Spent a while skinning it while his fleas jumped off onto me. Stunk unreal. Not a pleasant experience. I did not feel undergunned.
    Well that's good to hear that a 60# critter didn't stand a chance against a 375 H&H!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A little-known, seldom-read, almost unknown firearms expert named JEFF COOPER opined that a 5" or 6" .357 Magnum revolver, loaded to the max with 2400 was nearly "perfect medicine" for Javelina. If you are not particularly skilled with a sidearm, perhaps a lever-action rifle in pistol caliber (.357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or .45 Colt, if you reload for it) would be a valid substitute.
    If none of these are in your current inventory, then I would think that any rifle capable of cleanly dropping a whitetail deer would be more than enough to dispatch a Javelina.
    At the risk of inviting criticism from all directions it SEEMS to me that the .30 Carbine and the various high-speed .22 centerfires are a bit light for dispatching small wild pigs, but I admit that I've never shot Javelina with these rounds. Any of the current 6mm rifle calibers are probably more than enough. Except for the .30-30, most of the .30 caliber centerfire rifle rounds (emphatically, NOT the CARBINE round) seem like a lot too much for small wild pigs. For SOME reason, the .30-30, the .25-35 WCF, and the .256 Winchester seem "about right" to me, though the latter 2 are admittedly obscure by today's standards.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Well that's good to hear that a 60# critter didn't stand a chance against a 375 H&H!!!!
    I think at least ONE of you is confused on the difference between a Javelina and its far larger, far more fierce relative, the common feral hog. A .375 H&H is a lot too much rifle for Javelina. For the feral hogs, which weigh in at 200 pounds, the .375 H&H may STILL be regarded as overkill, but its use isn't ludicrous. Additionally, a 270 grain projectile launched at 1800 - 2000 f/s with a reduced .375 load would work well on ANY pig one is likely to encounter.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I think at least ONE of you is confused on the difference between a Javelina and its far larger, far more fierce relative, the common feral hog. A .375 H&H is a lot too much rifle for Javelina. For the feral hogs, which weigh in at 200 pounds, the .375 H&H may STILL be regarded as overkill, but its use isn't ludicrous. Additionally, a 270 grain projectile launched at 1800 - 2000 f/s with a reduced .375 load would work well on ANY pig one is likely to encounter.
    Pretty sure I've shot my share of both. But hey - Elmer Keith once proclaimed the 375 H&H a nice little deer rifle!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have killed a dozen or so Javelina hunting Arizona here in the last 25 years and whilst not as big as a feral hog they can be tenacious.

This is one of the biggest ones I killed, shot at 135 yards with the pictured AR15 (called in with an ancient Johnny Stewart cassette player call using a Javelina distress tape).

Teeth on these things can be impressive.

I was set up on the steep side of a wide canyon and on the “walk in” I could smell them.

I backed in to a sage brush, set the legs on the bipod to scan the lower slope and turned on the call.

About 40 seconds later this big old boar came boiling out of the sage across the canyon, all swoll up like bullfrog, popping his jaws, mad as the devil and raising hell looking for a fight.

My first shot (a Sierra 65 grain spire point boat tail) caught him behind the shoulder and broke him down, another round caught him on the ground when he was flipping and flopping around and I had to nail the coffin shut with a close range head shot on the “walk up” to him as he was still popping his jaws at me when I got over to him.

He did not go gently into that good night.

As he laid there we went about 45 pounds in weight and that is a fairly large Javelina.

Here’s another big one I called in with the old Johnny Stewart.

Teeth on this one were pretty good as well.

Shot in the eye with a Remington model 700 in 220 Swift at about 100 yards.

Aaaaand a couple more called in and killed by me and my ex wife:

For these two I was shooting the Ruger Model 77 in 243 and she was shooting my model 77/22 in 22 Hornet.

Again, all these Javelina were called in using a Javelina distress call (although I have had them come to a jackrabbit in distress call whilst calling coyotes).

None of these “sets” lasted more than 10 minutes from the time the call was activated till the time the trigger was pulled.

Just like coyotes, if they can hear the call, they will come to it.

Good luck to you and your wife, let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by ATCDoktor; 12-09-2020 at 11:54 PM.

The 308 is always my choice.. but everyone has there picks.. has to be what you like using
    It takes more than just reading, to prepare a young soldier for battle.
    Your experience means the world to the young.

Boolit Master

A handgun would be my choice if you and your wife are proficient with one.
    If not a handgun, a .30 caliber rifle of your choice....dale

Boolit Grand Master

Hey Larry....You still with us ?
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, just taking it all in.

Got to find a "Javalina distress" cassette tape.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yup, just taking it all in.

Got to find a "Javalina distress" cassette tape.
    Larry - there are several on-line that are easy to download on your phone. An inexpensive bluetooth speaker in a gallon ziploc bag is how I used to call in coyotes (until that darn Big Al had to go and make his calls awesome).

Boolit Master
    In 2008, I was deer hunting at a ranch in southern Texas. I asked the owner about shooting javelins. I was told they were not good eating. He had shot a boar, a sow and a young one. Neither of the 3 were good eating. All tasted nasty. So, I didn't even try to shoot one, although I had plenty if opportunities to do so. One particular pair were really feisty, and pushed a deer off the corn spread out on the trail

Boolit Grand Master

Well Larry if I was north there I would send you a .44 Frank Wesson rifle. Ours takes a 44 WCF piece of brass but a straight taper. Right near the same balistics with a 200 grain 40-1 cast and a case full of 3F as the 44 WCF. Nice old #2 model break open with the receiver rear angled so you can grasp the rim and pull it out. 24" single shot that groups under 4 inches at 100 yards. Maybe weights 5.5 pounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wesson whole barrel.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	272985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wesson close.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	272987

But alas we are #19 stuck down here in Arequipa until at least May.. Big help I am.
    Last edited by missionary5155; 12-11-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

That sure looks like it would be fun. Can't say I've ever shot one of those!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

Peanut butter sandwich and a Bowie knife.
    Gila Bend sportsmans club had pit BBQ one time for game meat and someone put in some Javalina. Glen about got fired as cook supervisor.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Grand Master

They are fun !! Used to be real inexpensive also. Very well made as most early 1870's firearms were. Excellent rifle for slipping through the woods and brush and popping critters. A FN 40-1 200 grainer does serious work on big ground hogs, racoons and yotes.
    The bulk of the rifles were rim-fires with the 38s and 44s the most popular. Back about 1880 the factory made a special hammer that had a reversible firing pin that would fire rimfire or center fire. Our 1870 model had one of those hammers installed.
    When we bought it the firing pin was broke so I made a center fire only pin and have never looked back.