Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Montana going lead free?

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    What we really need is an electoral college at the state level for the same reason it's need on a national level.

^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^ memtb

Boolit Master
    As far as I know, we don't have any condors in Montana and I'm fairly sure even the best of my rifles won't reach to Kommiefornia. I'll stick with lead. I hope we might soon have a republican governor.

Moderator Emeritus

A few years back the major electric utility wanted to run a transmission line to an Idaho link through farm and ranch country. It was fought tooth and nail by the locals including a legal initiative. The initiative failed and the next year it was a non issue. The reason for the non issue was that the PSC switched from 4 democrats to 4 republicans. The republicans didn't care about requiring "green power" and the need to ship it out of state. There are a lot of lessons to be learned here and put in practice in November. It is also good to know that FWP will sale ad space to anybody. I think if Peta showed up with 10 million dollars they could have front and back page ads.
    In general Montana liberals would be considered middle of the road in many other states. The liberal politicians are quick to toe their parties line to whatever they say however.We would have had a different gov. last term had the rep candidate been anything but an out of state carpetbagger with his own interests.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    In Montana there is a Fish and Wildlife Commission consisting of five members appointed by the governor.
    By law this Commission "shall establish the hunting, fishing, and trapping rules of the department" of Fish Wildlife and Parks.
    The law goes on to say "The commission may not regulate the use or possession of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition, including the chemical elements of ammunition used for hunting."
    Title87, chapter 1, 301(6), Montana Code Annotated.

Like most other states, the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks publishes a glossy magazine full of some more or less interesting info. The latest issue devotes 6 pages to an article on "Choosing the unleaded option".

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/ar...LeadEagles.htm

The author is careful to point out that switching to lead free bullets is only a suggestion and is completely voluntary, but I don't like where this is headed.

I have this issue of “ Montana Outdoors”. My question is! How many more ****ing eagles does MT need. They certainly don’t need anymore protection. One doesn’t need to look further, to see what’s coming. Look at the nonsense with the wolves, and grizzlies. That U.S. Fish&Wildlife rammed up every rancher, and sportmens ***.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 10-10-2020 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Edited for wording

Boolit Master
    Anybody casting Q metal? 1.67 times the density of lead you could jacket with aluminum and still have a decent BC. The Army says it's safe. DOE has 480,000 tons ready to go. Trump might go for it just to hear the screams.

Hunters switch to Depleted Uranium in the face of lead bans.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Depleted Uranium boolits = muy bad! Forget about the toxicity & radioactivity, those are minor issues. Uranium has a strong pyrokinetic effect. It dissipates significant amounts of it's kinetic energy as heat, as in white hot heat. It doesn't have to strike a rock to make a spark like steel jacketed bullets. If it strikes anything it just straight up starts a forest fire. It would be worse than hunting with tracer rounds. Back during the cold war we'd take pieces of uranium the size of a nickle that was left over from making ......stuff, and throw them against a steel barrier just to watch them light up. It's got some other nasty chemical properties that would make it a poor choice for the average Joe to try casting, but overall, except for junking out enemy tanks (and ships) it really isn't a good choice for bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    As a state, Montana is mostly lost to the leftest.
    That didn't age well after election day... Republican governor to replace BS Bullock; former governor fails miserably at moving to the Senate, beaten by Daines. Single seat in the House remains Republican. And so on... none of them close.

In fact, pretty much swept out the Democrat crap. Small silver lining after the presidential results.

It's kind of like looking at the area around Jackson Hole and saying Wyoming is mostly lost to the leftists. In Montana, we're stuck with our version of Jackson Hole - Missoula.

Whether Gianforte will live up to his tough talk now that the election is over and he's the new Governor, we shall see. He seemed to work at trying to be invisible during his time in the House after all his tough talk before that election.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    What we really need is an electoral college at the state level for the same reason it's need on a national level.
    Absolutely!! Washington state would be red if it wasn't for 3 counties around Seattle.

Boolit Master
    IT'S AMAZING that the ducks and geese in Illinois stopped being found dead after that got steel shot railroaded in... I guess all that LEAD SHOT sank or something. Notice no STUDIES done on the loss and crippling increases.... They were MASSIVE and still on going..

Boolit Master
    Is depleted uranium o.k. to use?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    The Left/Globalist will not be happy until the only firearm you can own will be a flintlock musket just like “it says in the Second Amendment”.

Except both lead and black powder will be illegal to own.

You put crooks into gov and you become a third world economy. Don't understand how idiots think it will get better.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    IT'S AMAZING that the ducks and geese in Illinois stopped being found dead after that got steel shot railroaded in.
    The biologist who did the original Nilo Farms study that was used as the basis of the lead shot ban said at the time he published it that it was an ESTIMATE. A year or two later he published a subsequent study that said his original estimate wasn't even close to being accurate.

But as you said, none of that or other studies which ran opposite to the original study are ever brought up. Buried as deep as the Barr/Duram investigation of what Bolshevik Barack and China Joe Biden were doing with the FBI back in 2016 is going to be buried.

I have printouts of those studies and papers from back then around here somewhere. I should see if I can find them and scan them into .pdfs if they can't be found somewhere on the Internet.

Boolit Grand Master
    MOCO31, please do.

Maryland would be bright red if it weren't for three jurisdictions surrounding DC. (And Balto. City)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    IT'S AMAZING that the ducks and geese in Illinois stopped being found dead after that got steel shot railroaded in... I guess all that LEAD SHOT sank or something. Notice no STUDIES done on the loss and crippling increases.... They were MASSIVE and still on going..
    There is no way at all to ever prove more ducks are wounded with steel shot, rather than lead shot. I personally think more are. Either way, the number of ducks that are crippled by hunter, either before or after the lead ban absolutely dwarfed any possibility of some ducks being killed by lead poisoning.

There never has been, and I doubt there ever will be an honest wide scale study on the effects of lead shot on wild game. It is a shame, as it could finally put this myth to bed. Being able to use lead shot on ducks again would really help the sport out, which seems to have morphed into a bunch of hold out die-hards. That sounds great on paper, but that doesn't help hunting as a whole either. So many new hunters try duck hunting when they are young, only to abandon it for the easier and cheaper animals like deer and turkey. Many give up hunting altogether.

Give up hunting? That's the idea, then no reason for guns.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Give up hunting? That's the idea, then no reason for guns.
    I have been shooting since 1962, and I have not hunted since 1979,, so, to me,,
    hunting has nothin' to do with shooting.

100% of my shooting is for plinking, even including my 300 Win Mag,,,

Boolit Buddy
    Rather than fighting the lead ban, go the opposite way,, switch to ZERO WEIGHT BULLETS,,
    since the bullets have zero weight, the bullet can accelerate to almost the speed of light, before exiting the barrel
    (there is no inertia for the powder to overcome)
    The ammo is lethal do only its extreme speed,,

The only problem, is keeping the bullets from floating away, before you get a chance to shoot them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17hm2-2 (800x637).jpg   17hm2 (800x756).jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1I-Jack View Post
    Absolutely!! Washington state would be red if it wasn't for 3 counties around Seattle.
    Washington, Oregon, etc...... all states do have checks and balances. The states with mostly red counties outside the leftist metro area all out number the blue counties. Each county has 2 state senators and the state senates could block (the "check") the leftist programs. Yet the red counties keep electing democrat state senators or RINO state senators who give in to the democrats. Ergo the "check" that should be there isn't and it's the republicans and conservatives own fault...... we our our worst enemy......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Is depleted uranium o.k. to use?
    No. I just hate it that something that works (lead) is crippled by stupid laws. If lead is banned people will find other materials to shoot...

Thanks to 405grain we have some info not in Wikipedia.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.