Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master

I sized up some new cast to see...

Two new powder Coat powders.

Made and posted a video last night too.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Pulled a few boolits and then decided I wanted to do something else. So, I loaded another 50 350 Legend 180s.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    I finished the Lyman Salt Bath pot today. Was stopped by hurricane Laura when the power went out for 55 hrs. Here and about 9 days in the rest of the parish. Helping others with portable generators keep their freezers froze.

The 40 year old Lyman pot with the (PID) controller melted the low temp. Salt and went to 960’ F. Slipped 80-30/06 cases in for 7 seconds then into a bucket of distilled water. They look good with some color change to the shoulder. Rinsed 2 more times with water to be sure salt is gone, started drying.

Will load these this week and report if I’ve stopped from splitting necks.

Took my sausage 223 rifle out to the 100 yd range and tested for accuracy. Dead on as the last 3 years, ready for Veterans hunt coming in a few weeks, lets get it on.

Boolit Mold
    Yesterday I converted 100 military 9mm Luger cases to 9x18 Makarov brass. Those commie guns are hard on brass, and they sling empties into the next county. It was a pretty simple process of expanding the case mouths with a 9x18 expander die, then trimming with the Lee 9x18 Mak case length gauge and trimmer. Also swaged the primer pockets on these cases. Not sure that was necessary, but they all primed just fine this morning. Pretty tedious process of trimming, chamfering and deburring. The process went a lot faster with the drill press.

Loaded up 50 of those cases today with the Lee 95 grain round nose over unique. I'm mostly interested to see how the cases turn out, but that has always been a good Mak load for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hodg0610 View Post
    Yesterday I converted 100 military 9mm Luger cases to 9x18 Makarov brass. Those commie guns are hard on brass, and they sling empties into the next county. It was a pretty simple process of expanding the case mouths with a 9x18 expander die, then trimming with the Lee 9x18 Mak case length gauge and trimmer. Also swaged the primer pockets on these cases. Not sure that was necessary, but they all primed just fine this morning. Pretty tedious process of trimming, chamfering and deburring. The process went a lot faster with the drill press.

Loaded up 50 of those cases today with the Lee 95 grain round nose over unique. I'm mostly interested to see how the cases turn out, but that has always been a good Mak load for me.
    I've got a CZ52 - it has what I call a "powerful extractor". It'll send brass 30+ feet away.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

I loaded up 40 Legends. 20 with my 270g Cast PCd bullet as a SUB with Herco.

20 more with the new Saeco 245g bullet again over Herco. But this wasnt intended as a sub.

Shot them the new 270 wasnt as good as 7.3g. And the Saeco Bullet/Load was MUCH more accurate!! Guestimated @ 1350 fps.

CW

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I've got a CZ52 - it has what I call a "powerful extractor". It'll send brass 30+ feet away.
    Yes, the CZ52 is bad about it too. I've always had a hard time getting seating depth correct on that cartridge so that it will feed reliable. I must be doing something wrong. It's a blast to shoot though.

Boolit Mold
    I shot my newly formed 9x18 Mak cases today. They were loaded with the 95 grain Lee round nose over 4 grains of unique. I shot them out of an IJ70 which is the civilian version of the Makarov pistol. This is always a good load for me in the Mak. All of the rounds fired fine, and the cases formed nicely. Here is where it gets strange. I measured the lengths of the cases when I got home from the range. Every case was between .003-.007 shorter than they were when I loaded them.

Any ideas on how that happened?

Edit: I actually found all of my cases too. That's a first.
    Last edited by hodg0610; 10-05-2020 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Addition

Boolit Buddy
    I shot my newly formed 9x18 Mak cases today. They were loaded with the 95 grain Lee round nose over 4 grains of unique. I shot them out of an IJ70 which is the civilian version of the Makarov pistol. This is always a good load for me in the Mak. All of the rounds fired fine, and the cases formed nicely. Here is where it gets strange. I measured the lengths of the cases when I got home from the range. Every case was between .003-.007 shorter than they were when I loaded them.

Any ideas on how that happened?
    I'ma gonna guess that you chamfered them to a slight bevel edge, and the case mouth headspacing of your pistol prolly just made that edge a bit flatter.

Yes, the CZ52 is bad about it too. I've always had a hard time getting seating depth correct on that cartridge so that it will feed reliable. I must be doing something wrong. It's a blast to shoot though.
    I actually have two barrels for that gun. I had an OLD barrel (probably original) and it was pitted, etc. It was still accurate, but I bought a new barrel a while back. So, I keep that old barrel and plunk each one before it goes in the box. If it doesn't plunk, I try to reseat/crimp a little more until it does.
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I actually have two barrels for that gun. I had an OLD barrel (probably original) and it was pitted, etc. It was still accurate, but I bought a new barrel a while back. So, I keep that old barrel and plunk each one before it goes in the box. If it doesn't plunk, I try to reseat/crimp a little more until it does.
    I also shoot this little 85 grain truncated cone...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90_grn_TOK.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	268893
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    My thought would be that the 9x18 is a fatter round which would indicated a slightly larger chamber. When the brass was fire formed it spread out which shortened the case. Just thoughts, but in my mind that makes sense.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    My thought would be that the 9x18 is a fatter round which would indicated a slightly larger chamber. When the brass was fire formed it spread out which shortened the case. Just thoughts, but in my mind that makes sense.
    That's kind of what I was thinking too, but Ia5676 may be onto something too. In the end it doesn't matter much I suppose. I resized the cases and they stretched back out.

Boolit Master
    prepped some 308 cases

Boolit Master

Counted out three big bags a Brass for my trade!!

Need ta tumble Sundays brass...

Boolit Master
    The CZ 52 was designed for two attackers at a time. One in front of you and the second in line with the ejection port!

I installed a stiffer spring from Wolfe (for that pistol) and life is much better!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

I've finished trimming and tumbling about 1040-1050 223 cases. I'll prime them tonight and get ready to load them. I'm still sorting and straightening in my loading room. I recently moved about a dozen coffee cans and several trays of brass to the storage room. I also caught some of the Plano Dry Boxes on sale and moved a bunch of primed brass out of 5 gallon buckets into them.

Boolit Master
    I pin cleaned the 80, 30-06 brass that just went thru the Lyman salt bath annealing process at 960’ for 7 seconds
    They look like new so will prime later this week and fill with powder and boolits, ready for deer season.

I removed the Primer Pocket crimp from 200 Milsurp 30-06 cases. wet tumbled them they are in my food dehydrater drying right now. tonight I will size trim (if needed) and prime them.

I’m finishing a small batch of 9mm with as cast Lee 38-105SWC( PC’d orange), 4.7grains of Bullseye with Federal primers. I love that load in .38 Special, time to see if it’s as fun in the 9mm Shield. My Beretta 92 liked it with LLA- but it likes everything.